the Charlotte Hornets / Bob :catz:

the Charlotte Hornets / Bob :catz:

Postby Dunking Donut » 25 Nov 2007, 10:49

Okay, I've been in a couple of threads talking about the Bobcats. Figured I'd start one for the Carolina's third favorite professional team.

I think it's known that I became a season ticket holder this year. So I've been checking out some games and having some fun following the NBA a little bit more than usual.

General team observations:
- The Big 4 are Okafor, Gerald Wallace, Jason Richardson, and Raymond Felton.
- Our best player is Wallace. I think he may be All Star Reserve material. He's great to watch and really puts everything on the line.
- Felton has really stepped it up to be a solid PG.
- We've got some good/interesting bench players in Matt Carroll, Walter Hermann, and Jared Dudley.
- Injuries right off the bat to Morrison and May hurt. I think May sucks and I'm not sure what kind of pro Morrison will turn into. If he finally gets it into his head that he doesn't have to carry the team on his back and start taking good shots, he could be pretty good.
- We need a center. Bad. Even one that can just play good D and rebound and get 6-8 points a night.

In terms of the team, the city is pretty much ambivelant. A lot of people loved the Hornets and were pissed when they left and won't support the 'cats. Another issue is the arena. People voted not to build it and then the politicians did it anyway (this all happened before I moved here). Lastly, a certain element doesn't like going to games because they feel the Bob Johnson (owner of BET) caters to a black audience. A couple of years ago I would have said that might have been true. I've found that the atmosphere of the games is quite a bit different. Game times have been moved to 7:00. The announcing has changed so it doesn't sound like an AND1 game. The music is a lot different during time outs and such. Charlotte is a city of bankers and those are the people that are going to games. It might sound lame or racist but it has been an issue for the team.

It's a team that seems to be going in the right direction. I thought 40 wins in preseason but with injuries I'll say 36 and missing the playoffs.
jew jitsu wrote:Shit is overblown honestly, if we are going by today's standard I committed sexual assault a bunch of times. Give me a break
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby someguysomewhere » 25 Nov 2007, 11:04

The thread so nice you named it twice.

They're surprisingly good for having stiffed on a couple of high 1st round picks that are now gimpy (May/Morrison) and having one of the worst centre situations in the league.

Does this still count as double posting? Can I get a ruling on this FTT?
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby CourtesyFlush » 25 Nov 2007, 11:52

Glad there's now a Panthers and Bobcats thread. We're gonna turn this into a Charlotte-centric message board!! :)

Agree with Dunk's big four--they provide a solid young foundation to build upon. I think Dudley is going to be a pretty good complimentary player as he was one of those guys at BC that did a lot of good things outside the stat sheet. Hermann is a savvy player to have around, but they don't use him enough (at least they didn't last year)...it's probably a good thing for him Morrison was injured or he wouldn't have seen the floor much this year. When they played well at the end of last season it was because Hermann brought energy and ball IQ.

Agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of Charlotte and the ambivalence toward this franchise (and the NBA in general). There are a lot of people here who will never forget the circumstances around how Shinn and Wooldridge fled to New Orleans. As David Stern is finding out, maybe leaving Charlotte wasn't the right thing for the Hornets long-term.

You also made a good point about how race played into the city's initial reaction to the team. Ultimately, it doesn't matter how the team is built or how the product is put on the floor--it's winning games that matters (especially in a city that's still lukewarm to the NBA). And if the Bobcats win they can make the Panthers swoon this season irrelevant.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby nova » 25 Nov 2007, 12:06

CourtesyFlush wrote:Agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of Charlotte and the ambivalence toward this franchise (and the NBA in general). There are a lot of people here who will never forget the circumstances around how Shinn and Wooldridge fled to New Orleans. As David Stern is finding out, maybe leaving Charlotte wasn't the right thing for the Hornets long-term.

Plus, from what I understand, Charlotte is a city full of transplants-- even worse than DC. I have a friend who moved there recently, and she said that Bobcats games aren't so much about going to support the team, but people who are there to watch the other teams. Likewise for the Panthers games.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby CourtesyFlush » 25 Nov 2007, 12:20

nasty nova wrote:Plus, from what I understand, Charlotte is a city full of transplants-- even worse than DC. I have a friend who moved there recently, and she said that Bobcats games aren't so much about going to support the team, but people who are there to watch the other teams. Likewise for the Panthers games.

Great point, but considering there wasn't a professional franchise here before 1988 there hasn't been a base built yet. There are still a lot of Redskin fans in this area, and if the 'Skins had been scheduled to play the Panthers later this year it's safe to assume it would be 40/60 or even 50/50 'Skins/Panthers fans (especially considering how the Panthers are playing this season). Even when the Steelers or Cowboys come to town there's a pretty strong contingent of visiting team fans.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Re: Bob Johnson's Charlotte Bobcats

Postby Tremendous_sidePotential » 25 Nov 2007, 12:25

Dunking Donut wrote: We need a center. Bad. Even one that can just play good D and rebound

Hi Dunk.
http://7up17togo.blogspot.com/

Bricks Tue May 04, 2010 11:32 pm How many chicks have you bedded _?
_ Tue May 04, 2010 11:33 pm: i will say 27 with a confidence interval of around 97%
nerf66 Tue May 04, 2010 11:34 pm: 97% confident they were all women?
Tremendous_sidePotential
The Bomb Dick

Postby CourtesyFlush » 25 Nov 2007, 12:30

Tremendous_sidePotential wrote:
Dunking Donut wrote: We need a center. Bad. Even one that can just play good D and rebound

Hi Dunk.

What's the chance Bernie Bickerstaff is beating himself over the head for Okafor over Howard? But it goes along with their draft strategy thus far--choose proven college winners over potential and minimize the downside risk. You can't fault them for that considering they were building a franchise from the ground up talent-wise.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby Dunking Donut » 25 Nov 2007, 12:43

I think Okafor was the right pick at the time. As Flush said, they wanted the proven player who would be a solid face of the franchise (Okafor is a very good citizen, graduated in 3 years, etc..). Howard was a high schooler that panned out.

The transplant thing is a tough issue. It takes a full generation, IMO, to fully get into the hearts and minds of the locals. Moving the Hornets so soon hurt like hell. Now they have to start all over again.

One other thing I forgot to mention is the horrible TV coverage. About 2/3rds of the games are on local TV. Not in HD. Also, I don't believe the games are on the NBA package or on satellite. With Time Warner soon to be buying the naming rights to the arena, if rumors are to be believed, they will move the games to Fox Sports South which will gets them on all the packages including satellite. This has been a big issue because the basic systems in some parts of Charlotte don't get channel 12 or 14 which is what channel the games are on. Ridiculous.
jew jitsu wrote:Shit is overblown honestly, if we are going by today's standard I committed sexual assault a bunch of times. Give me a break
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby Frank the Tank » 25 Nov 2007, 12:44

CourtesyFlush wrote:What's the chance Bernie Bickerstaff is beating himself over the head for Okafor over Howard? But it goes along with their draft strategy thus far--choose proven college winners over potential and minimize the downside risk. You can't fault them for that considering they were building a franchise from the ground up talent-wise.

Didn't Orlando have the #1 pick that year? I know the Bobcats said they'd take Okafor over Howard if they had the overall #1 pick, but it wasn't like they were actually given a choice.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby CourtesyFlush » 25 Nov 2007, 12:53

Frank the Tank wrote:Didn't Orlando have the #1 pick that year? I know the Bobcats said they'd take Okafor over Howard if they had the overall #1 pick, but it wasn't like they were actually given a choice.

That's right, but if I remember correctly they were leaning toward Okafor from the get-go. Of course, I just forgot Orlando had the first pick so I could be wrong yet again. :)

Dunking Donut wrote:One other thing I forgot to mention is the horrible TV coverage. About 2/3rds of the games are on local TV. Not in HD. Also, I don't believe the games are on the NBA package or on satellite. With Time Warner soon to be buying the naming rights to the arena, if rumors are to be believed, they will move the games to Fox Sports South which will gets them on all the packages including satellite. This has been a big issue because the basic systems in some parts of Charlotte don't get channel 12 or 14 which is what channel the games are on. Ridiculous.

Yep, I have DirecTV and can't get any games because they're on News14 all the time (and it's owned by TWC).
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby Dunking Donut » 25 Nov 2007, 14:55

Yep, Okafor was #2 and went to the 'cats so it is a moot point anyway.
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby Theny » 28 Nov 2007, 08:37

I honestly forgot Okafor was still in the league.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Rickey Sez » 28 Nov 2007, 10:40

Theny wrote:I honestly forgot Okafor was still in the league.

:sniff:

It's Diana Taurasi's fault that Okafor isn't a huge stud in the NBA right now. Before the 03-04 season, SI put a picture of Taurasi standing on Okafor's back on the cover... Okafor hurt his back beginning of the season and while he was dominant when he came back in college, his back has never been healthy since.

Fucking Diana Taurasi...
I'd like to see a pair of boobs that would prompt me to write home. Maybe Scarlett Johannson level quality? "Dear Mom and Dad, I saw an awesome rack today. They were perfect. Everything else is fine. Love, BD79."
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby jmrosenth » 29 Nov 2007, 10:21

I like some of the pieces that the Bobcats have assembled. I would be more concerned about the owner/GM combination and what that means for the long-term fate of the franchise. From what I hear, Bob Johnson was a cheap ass during his tenure at BET, and I believe got taken for a record $500 mill in his divorce. Speaking of divorce settlements, Jordan's tenure in DC as the man in charge was spotty at best. He may have learned a little bit, but until he devotes himself to doing it full-time, and not in Chicago or on the golf course, he won't be successful.
jmrosenth
Pink Helmet

Postby CourtesyFlush » 29 Nov 2007, 12:29

jmrosenth wrote:I like some of the pieces that the Bobcats have assembled. I would be more concerned about the owner/GM combination and what that means for the long-term fate of the franchise. From what I hear, Bob Johnson was a cheap ass during his tenure at BET, and I believe got taken for a record $500 mill in his divorce. Speaking of divorce settlements, Jordan's tenure in DC as the man in charge was spotty at best. He may have learned a little bit, but until he devotes himself to doing it full-time, and not in Chicago or on the golf course, he won't be successful.

Bob Johnson spent some money to resign some of the guys this past offseason, but Okafor's upcoming free agency will test the organization's pledge to spend money to win games. The good thing about Jordan being team president is that he's not the only one making decisions...Bickerstaff and Higgins are also involved in the process, so MJ's not making decisions based on a lost round of golf or a bad poker hand.

I agree on some of the pieces the Bobcats have stockpiled, but they need more dependable frontcourt depth to compliment Okafor. Letting Voskuhl go via free agency may cost this team a playoff spot because he gave them minutes off the bench and extra fouls. I'm not sure Hollins or Davidson are ready for that yet, and Brezec is a stiff.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Next

Return to NBA