Team America (f*ck yeah!)

Re: Team America (f*ck yeah!)

Postby Jew Jitsu » 06 Nov 2017, 14:40

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
Jew Jitsu wrote:USA barely won against both Serbia and France in rio 2016 (both by 3 points). The days of USA dominating like they used to are over. You'll need all you can get to win the gold medals from now into the future.

Serbia is good, my bad. But just toss them in with Slovenia, Canada, and Spain. We're still looking at like 5-8 USA teams ahead of them.

There's great players obviously, but is Latvia winning a medal with just Kristaps?

Did you even read what I said? The best team you can put on the floor barely won by three. How will 4-7 other ones be able to do it as well?
CourtesyFlush - Wed May 31, 2017 7:52 am: I stopped taking creep shots when I found out a dude who used to work on my floor got arrested for that at a walgreens in uptown charlotte.
Jew Jitsu
Never Forgotten

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 06 Nov 2017, 14:49

Jew Jitsu wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:
Jew Jitsu wrote:USA barely won against both Serbia and France in rio 2016 (both by 3 points). The days of USA dominating like they used to are over. You'll need all you can get to win the gold medals from now into the future.

Serbia is good, my bad. But just toss them in with Slovenia, Canada, and Spain. We're still looking at like 5-8 USA teams ahead of them.

There's great players obviously, but is Latvia winning a medal with just Kristaps?

Did you even read what I said? The best team you can put on the floor barely won by three. How will 4-7 other ones be able to do it as well?

The best team we can put on the floor will always have trouble with hierarchy in close games. Spread it out, let Bron/KD/Kawhi/Harden/Curry/AD gun for 50 on their own teams with role players to fit their games not to mention still Boogie, PG13, Russ, Dame, Klay, etc still around to be better #2 options than other countries #1 options.

You're right, there'd be some upsets. I'm just not sure what other countries out there have capable enough rosters right now.
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
JT99 - Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:43 pm: Dude, the MAGA thread has already sabotaged the entire site
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby Jew Jitsu » 06 Nov 2017, 15:09

Never mind dude. You do you
CourtesyFlush - Wed May 31, 2017 7:52 am: I stopped taking creep shots when I found out a dude who used to work on my floor got arrested for that at a walgreens in uptown charlotte.
Jew Jitsu
Never Forgotten

Postby TheWolf » 06 Nov 2017, 15:13

Jitz's point is valid in terms of what happened with the best team USA could put together. So let's phrase the question differently... How many teams could the US field that would be favored/have a better roster on paper/whatever than any other country's first team? If that's the original question, then everything else everyone has said makes sense and Jitz can take his America-bashing elsewhere.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby CourtesyFlush » 06 Nov 2017, 15:20

TheWolf wrote:Jitz's point is valid in terms of what happened with the best team USA could put together. So let's phrase the question differently... How many teams could the US field that would be favored/have a better roster on paper/whatever than any other country's first team? If that's the original question, then everything else everyone has said makes sense and Jitz can take his America-bashing elsewhere.

I think Jitz makes a good point. I don't think there are more than 2-3 US teams that would take all three medals at an Olympics. There are too many good players around the world now for the US to just walk in and dominate an international tournament like the original Dream Team.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby Dthefritz » 06 Nov 2017, 19:31

CourtesyFlush wrote:
TheWolf wrote:Jitz's point is valid in terms of what happened with the best team USA could put together. So let's phrase the question differently... How many teams could the US field that would be favored/have a better roster on paper/whatever than any other country's first team? If that's the original question, then everything else everyone has said makes sense and Jitz can take his America-bashing elsewhere.

I think Jitz makes a good point. I don't think there are more than 2-3 US teams that would take all three medals at an Olympics. There are too many good players around the world now for the US to just walk in and dominate an international tournament like the original Dream Team.

I think this was proven in 2004. The players might have been an awkward fit both for each other and for the international game, but you had two all-time greats in their primes (Duncan/Iverson) and it's not like they were surrounded by scrubs.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 14 Nov 2017, 13:11

CourtesyFlush wrote:What's the rest of the world looking like right now? Spain's stars are aging out (minus Rubio). Argentina's great generation of stars (Ginobili, etc) are way past their prime. Canada? France? Australia? Croatia? Dominican Republic?

Australia should have a decent squad in 2020, picking from:

Simmons, Exum (lol), Ingles, Delly, Baynes, Bogut (lol), Maker, Mills, Bolden plus some other guys in Europe / NBL.
#2C4S
Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 14 Nov 2017, 13:12

Mario Speedwagon wrote:
CourtesyFlush wrote:What's the rest of the world looking like right now? Spain's stars are aging out (minus Rubio). Argentina's great generation of stars (Ginobili, etc) are way past their prime. Canada? France? Australia? Croatia? Dominican Republic?

Australia should have a decent squad in 2020, picking from:

Simmons, Exum (lol), Ingles, Delly, Baynes, Bogut (lol), Maker, Mills, Bolden plus some other guys in Europe / NBL.

Completely forget Australia had a nice thing going down under.

My b, rio.
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
JT99 - Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:43 pm: Dude, the MAGA thread has already sabotaged the entire site
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Previous

Return to NBA