Team America (f*ck yeah!)

Team America (f*ck yeah!)

Postby Freddy Fernandez » 04 Aug 2006, 21:36

I figure this should get its own thread.

The exhibition game last night was pretty interesting. The only thing that bothered me was how terrible the full court press was. Guys were running around, trying to find their man, and just getting their ass beat down the court.

From watching the game, I think the starting 5 should be Wade at point, Joe Johnson, Carmello, LeBron, and Brand. I have never really seen Chris Bosh play before, but I was not impressed with how he played last night.
Last edited by Freddy Fernandez on 22 Aug 2006, 13:55, edited 2 times in total.
"What're the best shoe/purse brands for the spring season?" ~jack_daniels
Freddy Fernandez
OG's sponsor

Re: Team USA

Postby the cheese » 05 Aug 2006, 13:18

Freddy Fernandez wrote:I figure this should get its own thread.

The exhibition game last night was pretty interesting. The only thing that bothered me was how terrible the full court press was. Guys were running around, trying to find their man, and just getting their ass beat down the court.

From watching the game, I think the starting 5 should be Wade at point, Joe Johnson, Carmello, LeBron, and Brand. I have never really seen Chris Bosh play before, but I was not impressed with how he played last night.

I was also very underwhelmed with the play of Chris Bosh. He looked like he didn't have a clue on offense, and his defense was subpar. He was getting pushed around by the tall Puerto Rican the entire first quarter (fell asleep at the half).

I think our guys are having problems adjusting to the 3 point line and to the goaltending rules. Anthony looked damn good though.

Go offense/defense with Hinrich and CP3, use Battier or Jameson as the 6th man, and play balls out atheletic defense.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby mmutoni » 06 Aug 2006, 16:33

I think the americanos will take the gold this time around.

Once the roster is set in stone, I just don't see anyone beating these guys : the offense is ridiculous (there are four or five guys who can take over the game whenever they feel like it); the guys seem to genuinely like each other (well, that is until Kobe joins the fray); the outside shooting situation has been addressed; the role players know what to do; Larry Brown is no longer the coach; and there seems to be a real commitment towards defense.

Nothing to worry about.
mmutoni
Etiquette Instructor

Postby Bleacher Creature » 06 Aug 2006, 16:35

I agree with you on the end result but Im not as confident. Its going to be tough, there are some good teams out there.
[Sun 15:41] Frank the Tank: J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Bleacher Creature
OG's sponsor

Postby cwbuecheler » 08 Aug 2006, 09:37

Well, Team USA vaporized China... course, China was missing their thirteen foot tall, all-star center (and some other guy).

I'll be curious to see what happens when they go up against a team that actually has some serious NBA-capable players. France has Tony Parker and Boris Diaw. Argentina has Ginobili and Oberto and a whole host of other NBA-calibre guys.

Seems like our guys are doing a good job of keeping their egos in check, and of playing tough defense though. One of the things that pleases me the most about this is that LeBron might absorb some defensive teaching from Coach K and co that he doesn't seem to be getting from his current head coach.

Then again, it might just mean that a bunch of NBA stars all come back tired and hurt for this season. :P

-chris
cwbuecheler
Hope College Alum

Postby Theny » 08 Aug 2006, 09:40

I'm pretty sure Mike Brown knows a thing or two about defense. As did Larry Brown. It's not the coaching.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby nova » 08 Aug 2006, 10:24

Theny wrote:I'm pretty sure Mike Brown knows a thing or two about defense. As did Larry Brown. It's not the coaching.

I think that a summer with Coach K will be better than an eternity with Mike Brown. Coaches in the NBA are not so much into teaching as they are implementing. If anything, all 12 of those players are going into this training camp with a "What can I learn to help us win" mentality of the Worlds/Olympicas as opposed to the "What can I do to help me get rims for my toaster" mientality of the NBA.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby Brick Tamland » 08 Aug 2006, 11:13

nasty nova wrote:
Theny wrote:I'm pretty sure Mike Brown knows a thing or two about defense. As did Larry Brown. It's not the coaching.

I think that a summer with Coach K will be better than an eternity with Mike Brown. Coaches in the NBA are not so much into teaching as they are implementing.

Coach K = legendary coach/teacher

Mike Brown = Who the fuck is Mike Brown
](*,)

2012 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
2007 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick

Postby Theny » 08 Aug 2006, 11:23

Mike Brown was a Pacers assistant before taking the job in Creverand. And as you all know, the Pacers are always a very good team defensively.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby cwbuecheler » 08 Aug 2006, 11:35

Mike Brown also worked under Poppovich, I believe, who knows something about defense (and in fact, it was largely Brown's offense that was suspect in the playoffs, "give the ball to LeBron and let him work" aside).

But no one in LeBron's history so far has emphasized D the way Team USA is right now, with the full-court press and such. I'm not saying he's going to turn into the ultimate defensive stopper after six weeks with Coach K or anything. I'm just curious to see if it has any impact on his defense, which is definitely a notch below the rest of his game.

-chris
cwbuecheler
Hope College Alum

Postby Bleacher Creature » 08 Aug 2006, 12:49

US beat Brazil 90-86. Uhh, thats a little too close. Since when did Brazil become a threat? And Carmelo injured his knee. Not good news.
[Sun 15:41] Frank the Tank: J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Bleacher Creature
OG's sponsor

Postby Brick Tamland » 08 Aug 2006, 12:54

cwbuecheler wrote:Mike Brown also worked under Poppovich, I believe, who knows something about defense (and in fact, it was largely Brown's offense that was suspect in the playoffs, "give the ball to LeBron and let him work" aside).

But no one in LeBron's history so far has emphasized D the way Team USA is right now, with the full-court press and such. I'm not saying he's going to turn into the ultimate defensive stopper after six weeks with Coach K or anything. I'm just curious to see if it has any impact on his defense, which is definitely a notch below the rest of his game.

-chris

My point was simply that he might be slightly more open to coaching from someone of Coach K's stature.
](*,)

2012 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
2007 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick

Postby SouthernYokel » 08 Aug 2006, 14:38

Brick Tamland wrote:My point was simply that he might be slightly more open to coaching from someone of Coach K's stature.

Heh, heh. "Coach K's stature" comes right before your sig of "Don't listen to crazy midgets."
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby mister bacon » 16 Aug 2006, 18:00

Bleacher Creature wrote:US beat Brazil 90-86. Uhh, thats a little too close. Since when did Brazil become a threat? And Carmelo injured his knee. Not good news.

it was a little too close, but Brazil isnt TERRIBLE. it appears as though we have our shit together now though.. lets go USA!!!
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby JichaelDick » 16 Aug 2006, 18:37

mister bacon wrote:
Bleacher Creature wrote:US beat Brazil 90-86. Uhh, thats a little too close. Since when did Brazil become a threat? And Carmelo injured his knee. Not good news.

it was a little too close, but Brazil isnt TERRIBLE. it appears as though we have our shit together now though.. lets go USA!!!

Bacon, I believe this is the first time me and you have ever rooted for a team with Mike Krzyzewskaliioweruwisheimer as head coach.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Next

Return to NBA