Best 1-on-1 Matchups

Best 1-on-1 Matchups

Postby mmutoni » 12 Jan 2006, 15:19

In honor of tonight's highly anticipated matchup between Kobe Bryant and Lebron James on TNT, what are some of your favorite matchups (current and past) to watch?

Personally, I enjoy the Iverson v. Marbury tilts the most.
mmutoni
Etiquette Instructor

Postby SouthernYokel » 12 Jan 2006, 15:40

I like Iverson/Nash, McGrady/Mebron, KG/Duncan. Probably KG/Duncan is my favorite.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby TheDooze » 12 Jan 2006, 16:22

Pistons/Spurs. Basketball's a team game, not a individual game.
TheDooze
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby ONTB » 12 Jan 2006, 16:23

TheDooze wrote:Pistons/Spurs. Basketball's a team game, not a individual game.

Thank you skip bayless
[Mon 0:15] ONTB: Why can't the whole fucking cast come up? I want to hear what Marky Marky has to say
[Mon 0:16] Clayton Bigsby: "i'd like to thank the funky bunch"
ONTB
The Bomb Dick

Postby SouthernYokel » 12 Jan 2006, 16:27

ONTB wrote:

Thank you skip bayless

Not only that but pistons spurs is about as compelling as watching a rock grow.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Freddy Fernandez » 12 Jan 2006, 16:29

But this thread is to discuss one-on-one matchups. Go ride your bike, the grown-ups are talking.

I'm really looking forward to the Kobe-LeBron matchup tonight. Should be a good one, especially if they decide to guard each other. I hate when two great players guard scrubs so they won't have to play defense for the whole game.
"What're the best shoe/purse brands for the spring season?" ~jack_daniels
Freddy Fernandez
OG's sponsor

Postby ONTB » 12 Jan 2006, 16:33

Historically, Wilkins and Bird is the tops. Especially since they guarded each other at times, and then Wilkins tried to guard Bird in the 4th quarter and Bird tourch him and won the game for the Celtics.

Last year in the playoffs, Tracy McGrady guarded Dirk for much of the first 4 games and the he went for big numbers and shut Dirk down, that was fun to watch. As was the Dampier/Yao match-up after Dampier called Yao out and then got lit up. And the Shaq/Yao matchups were always fun when Yao was first comming up and they'd go back and forth making plays.

PP v Ron Artest is one of my favorites as well.
[Mon 0:15] ONTB: Why can't the whole fucking cast come up? I want to hear what Marky Marky has to say
[Mon 0:16] Clayton Bigsby: "i'd like to thank the funky bunch"
ONTB
The Bomb Dick

Postby Theny » 12 Jan 2006, 16:33

SouthernYokel wrote:
ONTB wrote:

Thank you skip bayless

Not only that but pistons spurs is about as compelling as watching a rock grow.

Aaaand, if you want to match a team up with the Pistons, it would have to be the Pacers, since that's the biggest rivalry in the league right now. It's like saying you think that Red Sox/Cardinals is better than Red Sox/Yankees.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby jack_daniels » 12 Jan 2006, 16:35

vince carter and his receding hairline
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby mmutoni » 12 Jan 2006, 17:56

ONTB wrote:Historically, Wilkins and Bird is the tops. Especially since they guarded each other at times, and then Wilkins tried to guard Bird in the 4th quarter and Bird tourch him and won the game for the Celtics.

Last year in the playoffs, Tracy McGrady guarded Dirk for much of the first 4 games and the he went for big numbers and shut Dirk down, that was fun to watch. As was the Dampier/Yao match-up after Dampier called Yao out and then got lit up. And the Shaq/Yao matchups were always fun when Yao was first comming up and they'd go back and forth making plays.

PP v Ron Artest is one of my favorites as well.

Historically, it didn't get any better than Wilt v. Russell (apparently, since i wasn't born yet).

What I have seen and think was the funnest matchup in the world was Jordan v. Wilkins, before Mike started winning championships and was busy racking up scoring titles. Neither guy could guard the other and they tried to top each other on every play. Every once in a while I'll pop in a DVD of an old Bulls - Hawks game from the mid to late 80s, it's amazing to watch.
Last edited by mmutoni on 12 Jan 2006, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
mmutoni
Etiquette Instructor

Postby mister bacon » 12 Jan 2006, 18:03

jack_daniels wrote:vince carter and his receding hairline

Wow underscore, this might have been the funniest thing youve ever intentionally said. nice.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby jack_daniels » 12 Jan 2006, 18:06

any time i get a chance to make fun of VC, ill take it. i hate him so goddamn much.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby bostonredsox1002 » 12 Jan 2006, 18:43

jack_daniels wrote:any time i get a chance to make fun of VC, ill take it. i hate him so goddamn much.

He hates you too.
Ultimate Frisbee record: 1-1
Back on track son.
bostonredsox1002
Etiquette Instructor

Postby SouthernYokel » 12 Jan 2006, 23:33

Currently watching the Kobe/Mebron game. Aside from neither guy playing any defense, there was one interesting thing. When they showed the famous people on the sidelines, Leonardo DiCaprio was wearing a University of South Carolina hat. Didn't know Leo was a fan. Loved you in Gilbert Grape!! Also, somehow middle class Matt Leinart somehow got $7000 courtside tix.
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby ScottJergenson » 12 Jan 2006, 23:50

That dunk at the end of the half by LeBron was flat out ridiculous.
ScottJergenson
Another dude worth meeting

Next

Return to NBA