Steroid Subpoenas

Postby Snake » 12 Mar 2005, 02:23

JohnnyDamon wrote:Snake, did you see Ortiz in Minnesota? The guy is now and always has been a huge bastard. Many Yankee fans want to use his coming out in Boston as "evidence" that he used steroids, but the Twins organization, to be so great at getting talent, is useless in making them decent players. They basically told Ortiz to be a singles hitters and let Doug Mientkiewicz be the power guy in that lineup. Had he gone to just about anywhere after 2002, he would have done better.

It was a joke dude, that fatass has never taken a syringe in his ass ever.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby Magnum » 12 Mar 2005, 10:30

Rickey Sez wrote:Fucking New Jersey.

It ain't gonna be that bad.

If any Boston-type folks wanna meet up with me and my friends... well, I can tell ya, we're probably not going anyplace you'd think you'd wanna go, but drop me a message.

I'll be at Ned Devines tonight.
Gregs Kite - Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:19 pm: Why am I making a Bitches post again?
BigJohnStudd - Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:19 pm: Because you're a bitch.
Magnum
Better Than You

Postby JohnnyDamon » 12 Mar 2005, 12:25

Sorry, snake. Sarcasm doesn't really go very well on a computer screen.
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby Snake » 12 Mar 2005, 16:06

Very true.

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby Frank the Tank » 13 Mar 2005, 12:29

On Outside the Lines this morning they were talking about the new steroid allegations against McGwire. ESPN had a reporter at Cards spring training and the St. Louis P.R. staff told ESPN to beat it. That incident made me wonder how ESPN will do covering this controversy in the future. Look at how ESPN folded Playmakers after some pressure from the NFL. MLB is just as imporant a partner to ESPN, and I fear that they'll pressure ESPN to sugar-coat the whole issue. So far ESPN seems to have done pretty well presenting the story, but can they keep it up if the pressure mounts? What news outlet would be well suited to follow this controversy? CNN and Fox News both have parent company ties to MLB. MSNBC has an affiliation with CBS Sportsline that may allow MLB to put pressure on that outlet. Who would be truly impartial in reporting this story?
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby mandingo » 13 Mar 2005, 19:30

ESPN has done fine on this issue as have most of the other media outlets. Playmakers got shut down because ESPN was creating the content, rather than reporting on real events. And most of the best reporting has come at the local level, as beat writers have more access than most of the Bristol based guys.
[Fri 15:59] Rickey Sez: call me "sex bomb", please.
mandingo
Pink Helmet

Postby Snake » 14 Mar 2005, 03:26

Mandingo, Playmakers was shut down because it fictionalized real events (for example the DH shooting thing was like Ray Lewis) and also inserted fictional events (like the gay receiver being forced to sit out) that touched a little too close to home. The NFL was afraid that people would make the connection and believe that all NFL players are like that (many are not but unfortunately enough are). The NFL has a lot more bargaining power than MLB does, and ESPN did report on the fact that MLB is trying to get congress to allow them to weasel out of sending some players (e.g. the guilty ones) to testify. I actually agree with Congress' decision not to subpeona Barry, whether you believe he's guilty or not you know his testimony won't be productive and it will turn the thing into a circus, and guys like Giambi and McGwire can hide under the shadow of Barry's BS.

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby mandingo » 14 Mar 2005, 14:57

The NFL didn't like Playmakers because it was soo over the top and only focused on the negative. That show was like Boston Public, every imaginable horrible thing that could happen did. The NFL is very PR conscious and made it known they wanted the show cancelled. The MLB/ steroids issue is news and is being covered by all major media outlets and if ESPN tried to keep quiet about it, We'd all know pretty quickly.

As far as not subpoening Bonds I believe that may have more to do with not wanting to ruin the BALCO case than anything else. Cross jurisdictional immunity deals can fuck up a lot of cases.
mandingo
Pink Helmet

Postby Snake » 14 Mar 2005, 15:01

Boston Public, great reference. I loved that show too. I've heard rumors that some people wanna name Bonds as a co-conspirator in the BALCO thing (which would kill the case, just trust me on that one), but if their so worried about BALCO why is a certain Mr. Giambi there?

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby Frank the Tank » 14 Mar 2005, 15:02

I know there's a fundamental difference between the steroids issue (news) and Playmakers (fiction, or at least fictionalized renditions of the truth). However I'm not sure I trust ESPN to treat this news story impartially. Usually news networks are not going after advertisers or important business partners. I think MLB has plenty of leverage here (though I agree it's not as much as the NFL has) and can pressure ESPN enough to make it very uncomfortable for any of the Disney properties to be completely open and forthright. ESPN has already shown it's shameless when it comes to making a dime, and I doubt they want to really anger their partner. Sure they'll keep parroting things dug up by other news outlets, but I'd be shocked if ESPN actually breaks a story that outs a player as a proven juice user.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby mandingo » 14 Mar 2005, 15:22

My understanding is that the BALCO prosecutors are really gunning for Bonds. If Bonds is more important for making the case against BALCO than Giambi, he may not be subpoenaed. If any of the players are granted immunity, just sit back and watch them sing. Anyone old enough to remember John Poindexter or Oliver North knows what congressional immunity can do for you.
As for ESPN's impartiality, the network has so many diverse talents who also work in other media (Mike Wilbon, Sean McAdam, Jim Rome etc...) that I'm not particularly worried about it. They'll be doing good reporting regardless of pressure from ESPN. I think someone like Peter Gammons has enough control over his own work that we will hear plenty from ESPN on the steroids issue.
The NFL in a contract year had a ton of leverage over Disney while the argument could be made that MLB needs ESPN more than vice-versa as it is the only true national sports network.
mandingo
Pink Helmet

Postby TheWolf » 14 Mar 2005, 15:49

I definiteley think the reason Bonds wasn't included is because too much of the media attention would focus on him. The whole thing would become "Is Barry telling the truth?" By spreading it around and keeping Bonds out of it, I think there's a better chance of actually getting to the truth. I am interested to see if Canseco sticks to everything in his book when he's under oath.

Rickey, I love your explanations for why they subpeonaed everyone. Classic.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Dunking Donut » 17 Mar 2005, 14:03

I can't get enough of the hearings. I'm checking ESPN.com, like, every 5 minutes. I wish I was home today to watch on TV.
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby Snake » 18 Mar 2005, 02:31

I'm very much excited for when Raffy and Sosa go down for perjury. I'm already counting down the days.

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby Dunking Donut » 18 Mar 2005, 08:42

I have no doubt a number of reporters are working very hard on that as I write this.

I'll crack up if we find some convicted dealer with checks from those guys for 'roids.
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

PreviousNext

Return to MLB