Steroid Subpoenas

Postby howboutafrescahmmm » 10 Mar 2005, 08:51

Rickey posts too much to be the SG if Rickey was the SG he would have already started his search for an intern Rickey.

And Bacon, going back to one of your earlier posts, its not an election year but mid-terms are right around the corner, this is one of those easy Name in the paper issues they can't lose on. Although in the mid-terms the big issue will most likely evolve into the rights of gay sports stars who own guns, use steroids, love the enviroment, and are on the fence on the abortion issue. Thats gonna be a hell of a debate.
"The Yankees have that guy (Tony) Womack playing left field," Henderson said. "If I can't play that position at least as well as he can, I'll hang up the spikes right now.'' ? Rickey Henderson.
howboutafrescahmmm
Etiquette Instructor

Postby Frank the Tank » 10 Mar 2005, 09:01

The other thing the politicians like about this issue is that it's non-divisive. It doesn't matter if you're a baseball fan or not, more than 99% of the voting populace is against the use of steroids in the game. Grandstanding on this issue has zero political downside.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby howboutafrescahmmm » 10 Mar 2005, 09:32

its win win, except of us who have to spend the next month hearing about the supeanas
"The Yankees have that guy (Tony) Womack playing left field," Henderson said. "If I can't play that position at least as well as he can, I'll hang up the spikes right now.'' ? Rickey Henderson.
howboutafrescahmmm
Etiquette Instructor

Postby Frank the Tank » 10 Mar 2005, 10:05

Randy Wolf called the hearings "Chemical McCarthyism", also saying "Because we're in the public spotlight, our civil liberties are flushed down the toilet in a way."

While I agree that a lot of this is indeed political grandstanding, I don't think Randy Wolf is helping out his fellow baseball players with this comment. Baseball is the national pastime, and the players are already widely viewed as overpaid and spoiled regardless of whether that's accurate. Any player who's perceived as whining about having to talk about steroid use that may or may not have benefitted today's players in breaking yesterday's records is automatically going to branded as an obstacle to ridding performance enhancers from the game.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Dunking Donut » 10 Mar 2005, 10:40

I don't know what the problem is. You can't do drugs at your job. You have to take a drug test to get a job at my place. It's the same thing, really.

Go in, talk about the problem -- there is a problem -- and then look like a hero helping baseball fix it. This will blow over in a year if it's done right. Look at football.

The politicians want to look good. If they don't play there part, they'll be made to do so. Just go along with it.
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby mister bacon » 10 Mar 2005, 12:27

howboutafrescahmmm wrote:its win win, except of us who have to spend the next month hearing about the supeanas

I guess thats the only real explination. I am surprised. Regardless, this is totally fucking stupid. I can't believe the players are contesting the supeanas. Are you kidding me? How can you refuse to testify in front of congress???? This infurates me, I hope they hold all of these assholes in contempt of congress.

Lending creedence to my theory that Paul Taglibue should run every sports league.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

bostonsucksmyballs wrote: I dont want to lose cred here.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby howboutafrescahmmm » 10 Mar 2005, 13:50

Having Big Paul in charge of everything might just be the answer, we have a drug czar, an intell czar, why not a sports czar?
howboutafrescahmmm
Etiquette Instructor

Postby mister bacon » 10 Mar 2005, 14:30

The more you look at the drug policies of the MLB and the NBA, the more you realize just how perfect the NFL policy is. They protect players privacy AND continue to drug test offenders to make sure they are not using.. and it doesnt become public until you test positive a second time and get suspended. They don't put up with any " I didn't know " bullshit either.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby howboutafrescahmmm » 10 Mar 2005, 14:46

Hey give the MLB credit if you test postive 17 times then they won't hesitate to mention that some player in the league may have tested positive.
howboutafrescahmmm
Etiquette Instructor

Postby mister bacon » 10 Mar 2005, 14:50

howboutafrescahmmm wrote:Hey give the MLB credit if you test postive 17 times then they won't hesitate to mention that some player in the league may have tested positive.

All the NFL's stuff came about after Lyle Alzado died thanks to roid related illness. You would think with Cammo's death, the MLB would want the same thing. I guess not.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2009595

And in other news..

mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Snake » 10 Mar 2005, 15:56

I find that story quite funny, as with it's antitrust exemption baseball is very clearly above the law.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby Frank the Tank » 10 Mar 2005, 16:38

Apparently the players and owners are united and won't show up to the hearings. I don't blame them for trying to fight the hearings, but it's awfully stupid just to say that you won't show up when you're subpoenaed by any court, let alone Congress. There's going to be some contempt charges handed down if this stays on its current course.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby mister bacon » 10 Mar 2005, 16:47

The MLB logic is a little flawed. There is no explicit right to privacy guaranteed in the consititution. It has been legally interpreted to be implied and respected, but not expressed. This is ludicrous, your time to fix this was years ago when they warned you about the problem. This is way too little too late guys.. sorry.

mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby howboutafrescahmmm » 11 Mar 2005, 11:41

I'm with Bacon, these guys dug there own grave, and whining about Congress is only making them look like asses. I can't wait to hear what Cansaco has to say, you can almost see the dollar signs replacing his pupils at this point. I just hope Shilling leaves the bloody socks at home.
howboutafrescahmmm
Etiquette Instructor

Postby Frank the Tank » 11 Mar 2005, 13:14

Looks like Schilling has broken ranks and agreed to testify. The Red Sox also had random testing hit their clubhouse the other day. I assume that people have been smart enough to lay off the juice if they were taking it before, but I figure it's only a matter of time before some idiot tries to mask the 'roids and gets caught.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

PreviousNext

Return to MLB