Steroid Subpoenas

Steroid Subpoenas

Postby Frank the Tank » 09 Mar 2005, 14:39

The House Government Reform Committee has subpoenaed seven present and former major league players to testify next week on steroid use in Major League Baseball. The players are:

- Jason Giambi
- Sammy Sosa
- Rafael Palmeiro
- Jose Canseco
- Mark McGwire
- Frank Thomas
- Curt Schilling

Am I the only one who's hearing Curt's name mentioned in this company for the first time?

Giambi's testimony should be the most interesting. It's also interesting to see that Barry Bonds has been left off the list, though that might be because he still has sealed grand jury testimony that they don't want to leak through other channels. We all knew that the steroid issue was going to be a big deal for MLB this season, but I'm surprised to see the government getting involved so early.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby mister bacon » 09 Mar 2005, 15:09

Especially in a non-election year. To be honest, them getting called to congress isn't about them being suspected, but more to testify to what they know and observed. Curt is getting called because since he stumped for dubya and the republicans last year.. he is comfortable enough with expressing himself in front of the distinguised bodies. Frank Thomas was one of the most outspoken players IN FAVOR of testing.. I think that Congress is calling a random smattering of those suspected, those who spoke out in favor of changing the policy, and those who can attest to the general attitude of players (i.e. not really involved day to day) so they can get a complete picture of what is going on.

If the FBI testifies that it informed MLB that it had evidence that steroids were being used by players and the MLB did nothing to stop it.. BOTH organizations will have a lot of questions to answer.

Namely.. if the FBI had evidence, why didn't they inform the DOJ and press charges against those involved in the conspircy?

If the FBI officially informed them of what was going on, why did baseball not take major steps to make sure that their associates refrained from breaking the law? If baseball knew about it did nothing to stop it.. there could be an argument for charging it with raqueteering (a continuing criminal enterprise).

I am very surprised this is happening in a non election year, usually I would attribute this to election year grandstanding.. but who knows? I am just glad that we have managed to make our boarders safe, find osama, and fix most of the problems which allowed 9/11 to happen so we can focus on this terribly pressing isssue.

(note, this is not a dig on the GOP..its a dig on Government..relax)
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Snake » 09 Mar 2005, 16:36

Remember that Representatives get elected every 2 years, it's always an election year for them. I'm surprised to see Schilling too, let's see what he has to say. Also wondering why no Jeff Kent.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby mister bacon » 09 Mar 2005, 16:53

I was implying that it woulda been a better 'election' related explination NEXT year.. to get your face in front of the camera on the news in your hometown while you are campaigning.. people aren't doing anything but raising money for '06 at this point. The push won't begin until the fall.

Its too far out to attribute this to election politics at this point.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Snake » 09 Mar 2005, 19:38

Gotta love the repeaters. The timing is better now because of the baseball season. One year from now is not so far that these guys can't claim credit for doing it.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby nerf66 » 09 Mar 2005, 19:51

This exchange actually happened during the selection of players:

Tom Davis: "Caminiti....This guy here is dead!"

Henery Waxman: "Cross him of the list then!"
nerf66
Yellow Jacket

Postby jack_daniels » 09 Mar 2005, 20:50

Where's Sheffield? I would have expected him to be at the top of the list with Giambi.

Curt? Wow. Maybe they thought that anyone who could play with a bloody ankle must either be crazy or on steroids. We'll see.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Re: Steroid Subpoenas

Postby Rickey Sez » 09 Mar 2005, 22:02

Frank the Tank wrote:The House Government Reform Committee has subpoenaed seven present and former major league players to testify next week on steroid use in Major League Baseball. The players are:

- Jason Giambi
- Sammy Sosa
- Rafael Palmeiro
- Jose Canseco
- Mark McGwire
- Frank Thomas
- Curt Schilling

Am I the only one who's hearing Curt's name mentioned in this company for the first time?

Giambi's testimony should be the most interesting. It's also interesting to see that Barry Bonds has been left off the list, though that might be because he still has sealed grand jury testimony that they don't want to leak through other channels. We all knew that the steroid issue was going to be a big deal for MLB this season, but I'm surprised to see the government getting involved so early.

They're not subpoening players because they think they're on steroids.

They're subpoening Giambi because he was on steroids.

They're subpoening Sosa because they think he talks funny.

They're subpoening Canseco 'cuz they wanna ask him "Hey guy. So, you think I got shot with Madonna? Huh? Can you make that happen?"

They're subpoening Palmeiro because, well, if they do get shot with Madonna, they wanna borrow some of his Viagger stash.

They're subpoening McGwire cuz they like the idea of injecting things into their butts.

They're subpoeing Thomas cuz they forgot he's still playing baseball.

They're subpoening Schilling 'cuz they wanna say "Dude! Nice job!"

Duh.

They're subpoening
Last edited by Rickey Sez on 10 Mar 2005, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby jack_daniels » 09 Mar 2005, 22:04

Viagger.....lol.

Rickey you crack me up.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Re: Steroid Subpoenas

Postby Frank the Tank » 09 Mar 2005, 22:11

Rickey Sez wrote:They're not subpoening players because they thing they're on steroids.

They're subpoening Giambi because he was on steroids.

They're subpoening Sosa because they think he talks funny.

They're subpoening Canseco 'cuz they wanna ask him "Hey guy. So, you think I got shot with Madonna? Huh? Can you make that happen?"

They're subpoening Palmeiro because, well, if they do get shot with Madonna, they wanna borrow some of his Viagger stash.

They're subpoening McGwire cuz they like the idea of injecting things into their butts.

They're subpoeing Thomas cuz they forgot he's still playing baseball.

They're subpoening Schilling 'cuz they wanna say "Dude! Nice job!"

Duh.

Damn it Rickey why didn't you send in an intern submission! We could've been spared all the crap we've been reading and Simmons could have just said "no more entries, we have a winner."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Rickey Sez » 09 Mar 2005, 23:03

I KNOW! I KNOW! I'm kicking myself, too.

I thought about it, but I was put off by the age thing -- both "the limits" on the contest, and the fact that, well, at this stage in my life, I didn't want to be an intern.

I didn't realize Ithaca boy or whatever who's 457 was going to be a finalist

And, of course, post-intern contest, I started thinking that maybe I might want to go back to school and get into sports journalism. (Just like 95% of everyone else out there.)
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby fatty » 10 Mar 2005, 00:57

I heard something about this on my way into work today at the tail end of the Dan Patrick show, but I didn't realize they actually issued subpoenas. I was under the impression that they just asked them to speak. The comment they kept making was "McGwire politely declined to take part."

As for the election thing, John McCain has been the major figure behind all this, and I do believe the AZ senate slot is on the upcoming ballot, cause I don't remember it being on the last one.
"I remember reading that he (Jeffrey Maier) went to a mets camp a couple years back and Tony Tarasco was there....If I was him, when no one was lookin, I'd violate him in the bathroom with a metal bat." - Tremendous_side Potential
fatty
Smartest Guy In The Room

Location: velvet bob ross knows not the physical limits of "location"

Postby fatty » 10 Mar 2005, 00:59

Rickey Sez wrote:I KNOW! I KNOW! I'm kicking myself, too.

I thought about it, but I was put off by the age thing -- both "the limits" on the contest, and the fact that, well, at this stage in my life, I didn't want to be an intern.

Yeah, and we need you posting and commenting here, not being a slave to SG. You can be our intern. (I hear the pay sucks, but the free spam emails make up for it)
"I remember reading that he (Jeffrey Maier) went to a mets camp a couple years back and Tony Tarasco was there....If I was him, when no one was lookin, I'd violate him in the bathroom with a metal bat." - Tremendous_side Potential
fatty
Smartest Guy In The Room

Location: velvet bob ross knows not the physical limits of "location"

Postby Dunking Donut » 10 Mar 2005, 08:37

My theory is that Rickey is SG in disguise.
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby Frank the Tank » 10 Mar 2005, 08:41

My theory is that Rickey is Ray Romano.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Next

Return to MLB