Washington Nationals

Re: Washington Nationals

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 27 Jan 2016, 10:55

August 1991. My fraternity has its national convention in St. Louis. As one of the exec board members, I am required to go. On the Thursday night, the fraternity got the entire convention tickets to a Cardinals-Expos game at old Busch stadium. We pre-gamed it in our hotel room since a few of us were under 21. Walk to the stadium and it is raining. We are in the upper deck. After about an hour or so into the rain delay we walk down to field level to near the Expos dugout. We are trying to get any Expo we can to come out and talk to us. We're yelling for Grissom, Larry Walker, Delino Deshields, Oil Can Boyd, the Big Cat. You name it. No one comes out. Finally we yell out for Brian Barnes, their fifth starter.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... br01.shtml

I knew this guy because, for some reason, in 1991 we had a NL-only fantasy baseball league. I mean, this is before the Web was around, so we the commish had to get the USA Today's Baseball Weekly once a month and and calculate all of the categories. Imagine having to come up with Team WHIP, ERA, Batting Avg, and Slugging Pct. Just nightmare stuff. I'm assuming we had no trades or waiver wire moves b/c that would make it impossible to figure out. Anyway, I think this was the last guy I drafted. Either him or an Astro rookie named Luis Gonzales.

So, I think there's four of us down on the rail and we actually get Barnes to come out and talk to us in the rain. Cool guy. One of my buddies played high school soccer (backup goalie) for one of the top programs in the state. And one of the stars from there went and played college soccer at Clemson were Barnes was from and we found out that Barnes was good friends with the guy's former teammate in college. So they are talking about their friend for a while and when that ends my friend says "and this guy has you on his fantasy baseball team." So, Barnes says "Sorry to hear that." And me being the drunk college kid I was tell him he has great stuff and if he can just focus in a little better, he's going to do great and other shit I'm just pulling from my ass.

Well, he turns out to not do much in his brief MLB career and I can't judge talent apparently.

The game never started and we went around to everyone from out of state chapters of out fraternity and got all of their ticket stubs so we could use the rain checks and go to a shitload of games the rest of the month before school started back up.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Goose » 27 Jan 2016, 14:14

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:August 1991. My fraternity has its national convention in St. Louis. As one of the exec board members, I am required to go. On the Thursday night, the fraternity got the entire convention tickets to a Cardinals-Expos game at old Busch stadium. We pre-gamed it in our hotel room since a few of us were under 21. Walk to the stadium and it is raining. We are in the upper deck. After about an hour or so into the rain delay we walk down to field level to near the Expos dugout. We are trying to get any Expo we can to come out and talk to us. We're yelling for Grissom, Larry Walker, Delino Deshields, Oil Can Boyd, the Big Cat. You name it. No one comes out. Finally we yell out for Brian Barnes, their fifth starter.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... br01.shtml

I knew this guy because, for some reason, in 1991 we had a NL-only fantasy baseball league. I mean, this is before the Web was around, so we the commish had to get the USA Today's Baseball Weekly once a month and and calculate all of the categories. Imagine having to come up with Team WHIP, ERA, Batting Avg, and Slugging Pct. Just nightmare stuff. I'm assuming we had no trades or waiver wire moves b/c that would make it impossible to figure out. Anyway, I think this was the last guy I drafted. Either him or an Astro rookie named Luis Gonzales.

So, I think there's four of us down on the rail and we actually get Barnes to come out and talk to us in the rain. Cool guy. One of my buddies played high school soccer (backup goalie) for one of the top programs in the state. And one of the stars from there went and played college soccer at Clemson were Barnes was from and we found out that Barnes was good friends with the guy's former teammate in college. So they are talking about their friend for a while and when that ends my friend says "and this guy has you on his fantasy baseball team." So, Barnes says "Sorry to hear that." And me being the drunk college kid I was tell him he has great stuff and if he can just focus in a little better, he's going to do great and other shit I'm just pulling from my ass.

Well, he turns out to not do much in his brief MLB career and I can't judge talent apparently.

The game never started and we went around to everyone from out of state chapters of out fraternity and got all of their ticket stubs so we could use the rain checks and go to a shitload of games the rest of the month before school started back up.

Pre-#spreadsheet drunk IMS is the best IMS.

Hall of Sand, Class of 2025
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
OG's sponsor

Postby Gregs Kite » 27 Jan 2016, 16:04

Good post, Goose.
You fuckers ruined kite.

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

BostonSucksMyBalls - Thu May 11, 2017 2:07 pm: greg your being a lil bitch in the hall of sand

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Prez » 27 Jan 2016, 16:42

Gregs Kite wrote:Good post, Goose.

Agreed, but the go-to drunk IMS pic has to be this:

Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby Briandong79 » 10 Mar 2016, 09:25

Bryce Harper is a rebel, Dottie.

The name of the article is "Sorry, Not Sorry" #sns
http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_ ... ll-forever
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby JichaelDick » 10 Mar 2016, 09:37

I noticed a certain meteorological freak from New Jersey didn't make Harper's list of "fun players to watch," although I think Trout is probably the very definition of "milk toast."
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Gregs Kite » 15 Mar 2016, 07:00

B-Harp is right. They need to have more panache in today's baseball. Give me more of these flamboyant negroes and cocksure white boys. Maybe even throw in the Undertaker theme for intros. I don't know!
You fuckers ruined kite.

BostonSucksMyBalls - Thu May 11, 2017 2:07 pm: greg your being a lil bitch in the hall of sand

Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 09 May 2016, 20:13

I hear that Kite's Nats signed Strasburg for 7/175. Doesn't he stink now?
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 09 May 2016, 21:36

Bryce is gettin' angry!

Also, hilarious listening to the MASN guys really trying to sell how awesome Dusty is and what a difference he's making.
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby Prez » 10 May 2016, 06:15

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:Bryce is gettin' angry!

Also, hilarious listening to the MASN guys really trying to sell how awesome Dusty is and what a difference he's making.

Harper is an entitled douchebag who happens to be really good at baseball. He's not making friends with the umpires and it will likely come back and bite him in the ass.
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 10 May 2016, 08:02

Prez wrote:

Harper is an entitled douchebag who happens to be really good at baseball. He's not making friends with the umpires and it will likely come back and bite him in the ass.

To be fair, it did appear he got tossed right before the pitch for someone else running his mouth in the dugout. COULD BE WRONG! I just found it hilarious that's his reaction to a walk off HR
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby Prez » 10 May 2016, 13:18

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:
Prez wrote:

To be fair, it did appear he got tossed right before the pitch for someone else running his mouth in the dugout. COULD BE WRONG! I just found it hilarious that's his reaction to a walk off HR

This article is pretty interesting about the events from last night and doesn't change my mind one bit about him being a prima donna douchebag. Fuck him.
Prez
The MAWG

Postby Gregs Kite » 10 May 2016, 13:25

Prez wrote:
Prez wrote:

This article is pretty interesting about the events from last night and doesn't change my mind one bit about him being a prima donna douchebag. Fuck him.

I'd much rather my players be fiery pricks. Otherwise you get guys like Buckles and Price, aww shucksing their way through shitty seasons.
You fuckers ruined kite.

Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 10 May 2016, 13:56

Gregs Kite wrote:
Prez wrote:
Prez wrote:

I'd much rather my players be fiery pricks. Otherwise you get guys like Buckles and Price, aww shucksing their way through shitty seasons.

I enjoyed that Prez, thank you. I hadn't seen that earlier in the game or the camera angle showing Bryce was the one yelling.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby Prez » 12 May 2016, 06:54

Gregs Kite wrote:
Prez wrote:
Prez wrote:

Harper suspended for being a douchebag on Monday night. Maybe if they made is 5 games, it would get through to him.

Kite wishes all his favorite players were fiery pricks, too. The difference is that Harper is good enough that he's hurting his team by being a fiery prick. Buckles missing games could only help the Sox.
Prez
The MAWG

PreviousNext

Return to MLB