Washington Nationals

Washington Nationals

Postby MarylandFanatic » 03 Mar 2005, 15:44

Nats win!

The Nats won their first exhibition game yesterday, in front of a rauscous crowd. I think the Wash Post said it best: Most cities whine about going 34 years between championships. We've gone 34 years between games.

Do you think they have a shot to be competitive in the NL East?
MarylandFanatic
Hope College Alum

Postby Frank the Tank » 03 Mar 2005, 16:03

They only beat the Mets, so no reason to get too excited. :)

Behind the Braves, Mets, and Marlins and without a big-name player I think the Nationals are doomed in the 2005 season. Until the permanent ownership group is in, has the stadium deal details finalized, and can set a player salary budget they're not going to make any big splashes for top-notch players. If things go their way financially over the next 10 months I could see them trying to make a splash in the 2006 free agency market.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Re: Washington Nationals

Postby Tecmo Bo » 03 Mar 2005, 17:22

MarylandFanatic wrote:Do you think they have a shot to be competitive in the NL East?

About as much of a shot as I have of nailing Natalie Portman, Scarlett Johanssen and Lindsay Lohan in the next 3 days.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby Snake » 03 Mar 2005, 17:30

MarylandFanatic wrote:Nats win!

The Nats won their first exhibition game yesterday, in front of a rauscous crowd. I think the Wash Post said it best: Most cities whine about going 34 years between championships. We've gone 34 years between games.

Do you think they have a shot to be competitive in the NL East?

Well if the top new pitching acquisitions in the division (Pedro and Hudddy) break down and Carlos Delgado gets a little bit too into the Miami nightlife and the Marlins don't get a decent bullpen as well as the Phillies completely falling apart without the steadying influence of Larry Bowa it's entirely possible that the Nats will finish in the top 5 of the division. Treat them like an expansion team for now, because that's what they are.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby MarylandFanatic » 03 Mar 2005, 22:47

the way i look at it is at least they are trying to put a good team together

unlike a certain team that resides up I-95 in b-more
MarylandFanatic
Hope College Alum

Postby Snake » 04 Mar 2005, 00:36

Well to be fair their owner is distracted by representing his first baseman in a lawsuit pro bono. That being said they went and got Sammy Sosa for nothing, I think they are trying to win, just failing.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby fatty » 04 Mar 2005, 01:17

MarylandFanatic wrote:Do you think they have a shot to be competitive in the NL East?

Well, they beat the Mets, and the Marlins lost to UofM the other day, so anything's possible. I for one just hope the fish have enough hot dogs on opening day, cause I don't want to see that debacle again.
"I remember reading that he (Jeffrey Maier) went to a mets camp a couple years back and Tony Tarasco was there....If I was him, when no one was lookin, I'd violate him in the bathroom with a metal bat." - Tremendous_side Potential
fatty
Smartest Guy In The Room

Location: velvet bob ross knows not the physical limits of "location"

Postby Frank the Tank » 04 Mar 2005, 07:58

Tecmo Bo wrote:

About as much of a shot as I have of nailing Natalie Portman, Scarlett Johanssen and Lindsay Lohan in the next 3 days.

Now that would truly be a "dream season".
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Tecmo Bo » 04 Mar 2005, 12:31

Anyone who pulled off that trifecta would never have to buy a drink again. Just walk up to a bar and say I nailed Portman, Johanssen and Lohan all i a three day period and let the alcohol flow as guys try to get the story out of you.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby TheWolf » 04 Mar 2005, 13:45

You would never need to do another thing in your life, and you'd die completely satisfied.

As for the Expos (I'll probably be calling them that for at least a full season, and I don't really have a good explanation of why), they definitely look like they're headed in the right direction, and I expect them to be better than last year. But I don't see any way they can compete in that division. If they were in the AL Central, I might give them a fighting chance to at least hang around for 3/4 of the season, but not in the NL East. It doesn't matter anyway, because the Braves, thanks to their contract with Satan, are obligated to win the division 100 years in a row but only win one World Series title.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby howboutafrescahmmm » 04 Mar 2005, 14:25

Just make sure that when you get to Lohan you double bag that shit.
"The Yankees have that guy (Tony) Womack playing left field," Henderson said. "If I can't play that position at least as well as he can, I'll hang up the spikes right now.'' ? Rickey Henderson.
howboutafrescahmmm
Etiquette Instructor

Postby Frank the Tank » 04 Mar 2005, 14:30

It's Lindsay Lohan, not Paris Hilton. Single-bagging should suffice.

Speaking of that did you see the Quote of the Day from Theo on the SG's homepage? I got a really solid chuckle out of that one.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby TheWolf » 04 Mar 2005, 14:32

I loved Theo's quote. And would double bagging even be enough for Paris? I don't think I'd feel safe.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby mister bacon » 04 Mar 2005, 14:49

TheWolf wrote:You would never need to do another thing in your life, and you'd die completely satisfied.

As for the Expos (I'll probably be calling them that for at least a full season, and I don't really have a good explanation of why), they definitely look like they're headed in the right direction, and I expect them to be better than last year. But I don't see any way they can compete in that division. If they were in the AL Central, I might give them a fighting chance to at least hang around for 3/4 of the season, but not in the NL East. It doesn't matter anyway, because the Braves, thanks to their contract with Satan, are obligated to win the division 100 years in a row but only win one World Series title.

I personally atribute that one victory more to the Indians choking more than the braves were able to.

The Nats dont have a chance this year, but give them a couple years and they will be alright.

Also, I love their nickname.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

TheWolf wrote: Being a douche is a very expensive hobby.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Frank the Tank » 04 Mar 2005, 14:52

mister bacon wrote:Also, I love their nickname.

I prefer "The 'Tionals" (pronounced "shnuls")
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Next

Return to MLB