2017 Playoff Thread

Re: 2017 Playoff Thread

Postby ctz31 » 01 Nov 2017, 08:48

mister bacon wrote:i enjoyed rich hill stepping off the mound to let gurriel get booed more by dodger fans last night. good teammate.

I don't know what you're talking abut but that gurriel seems like a beast. My yankees couldn't get him out!
ctz31
#nnf

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 01 Nov 2017, 08:53

ctz31 wrote:
mister bacon wrote:i enjoyed rich hill stepping off the mound to let gurriel get booed more by dodger fans last night. good teammate.

I don't know what you're talking abut but that gurriel seems like a beast. My yankees couldn't get him out!

mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby Gregs Kite » 01 Nov 2017, 11:43

No pressure, Dodgers....

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

mister braycon - Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:00 pm: i need a man on the inside. do it shammy!

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby bosux » 01 Nov 2017, 14:43

by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby TheWolf » 01 Nov 2017, 21:59

Smoltz was just rambling about how in this series, or maybe the whole postseason, guys who normally start have been very effective in relief. He gave a stat about how they have a lower ERA than traditional relievers,andsaid it like it was interesting or surprising.

I'm just gonna throw out a kooky theory here, I'm sure it doesn't make sense... Maybe the starters are better pitchers than the relievers, and that's why they are ordinarily relied upon to pitch way more innings than the relievers.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Rodney Farva » 01 Nov 2017, 22:13

that might have held true until 5-7 years ago but now the model is to stock a pen with killers throwing 98mph, get 5 innings from your starter and then lights out. stros seem the exception doe.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Dthefritz » 01 Nov 2017, 22:15

TheWolf wrote:Smoltz was just rambling about how in this series, or maybe the whole postseason, guys who normally start have been very effective in relief. He gave a stat about how they have a lower ERA than traditional relievers,andsaid it like it was interesting or surprising.

I'm just gonna throw out a kooky theory here, I'm sure it doesn't make sense... Maybe the starters are better pitchers than the relievers, and that's why they are ordinarily relied upon to pitch way more innings than the relievers.

My theory is that Smoltz is just trying to make it seem like it was an accomplishment for him to transition [lol] to the bullpen and immediately become a top-tier reliever when it's what should have happened logically.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby JichaelDick » 02 Nov 2017, 00:05

JichaelDick wrote:This has been one hell of a World Series already.

I expect something like 5-1 tonight because of course...

I'm generally terrible at this sort of thing, but when I hit, I hit.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 02 Nov 2017, 06:48

Dthefritz wrote:
TheWolf wrote:Smoltz was just rambling about how in this series, or maybe the whole postseason, guys who normally start have been very effective in relief. He gave a stat about how they have a lower ERA than traditional relievers,andsaid it like it was interesting or surprising.

My theory is that Smoltz is just trying to make it seem like it was an accomplishment for him to transition [lol] to the bullpen and immediately become a top-tier reliever when it's what should have happened logically.

Not necessarily, usually what differentiates a starter from a reliever is the starter has 3-5 pitches he can reasonably rely on and relievers usually have the one (Mariano's cutter for example) or relievers are throwing gas but can't sustain it beyond an inning or two. Starters go through lineups (you hope) 3 times and that's why they show those things like ERA/BA/etc 1st, 2nd, 3rd time through line ups. A lot (not all!) of starters, especially the better ones, also can be slower starting ( :corn: ) with their command before settling into a rhythm and teams usually have to jump on them early if they're gonna get runs which I think is part of where the whole "this is surprising to see them come in and pitch effectively" comes from with the other half being "Oh you're bringing this guy in where he hasn't had his pre-game routine warm up" which I think they work to negate some by saying "you're going to come in in the next inning or in 2 innings so start preparing" like we saw with Kershaw last night. The problem there is, I thought Yu should have come out after he gave up the double and definitely shouldn't have faced Springer again. But I think the only person up then was Kershaw and he/starters have longer warm up routines and wasn't ready. Scherzer blew the game for the Nats in the NLDS and Verlander gave up a lead coming in for relief vs. the Sawx...

This was rambling, anyway, I don't think it's THAT indefensible of a statement and there have been plenty of starters who have come in as relievers and sucked or been meh/meh- instead of meh+
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby TheWolf » 02 Nov 2017, 08:19

I have no real issue with anything you said there. But I stand by my point that generally speaking, starters are better pitchers than relievers. And I kinda think the whole "they didn't get their pregame routine" thing is a pretty lame excuse.

ANYWAY... I have to agree with the analysis of the great Michael Greenberg this morning. If Kershaw is available in that game, and you're willing to use him for 3-4 innings, he should start. Playoff success or lack thereof be damned, he's your best pitcher. If you're gonna use him, use him in the first inning so he can have his precious little routine and you can put yourself in the best position to win.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby chrisco » 02 Nov 2017, 08:20

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:

Not necessarily, usually what differentiates a starter from a reliever is the starter has 3-5 pitches he can reasonably rely on and relievers usually have the one (Mariano's cutter for example) or relievers are throwing gas but can't sustain it beyond an inning or two. Starters go through lineups (you hope) 3 times and that's why they show those things like ERA/BA/etc 1st, 2nd, 3rd time through line ups. A lot (not all!) of starters, especially the better ones, also can be slower starting ( :corn: ) with their command before settling into a rhythm and teams usually have to jump on them early if they're gonna get runs which I think is part of where the whole "this is surprising to see them come in and pitch effectively" comes from with the other half being "Oh you're bringing this guy in where he hasn't had his pre-game routine warm up" which I think they work to negate some by saying "you're going to come in in the next inning or in 2 innings so start preparing" like we saw with Kershaw last night. The problem there is, I thought Yu should have come out after he gave up the double and definitely shouldn't have faced Springer again. But I think the only person up then was Kershaw and he/starters have longer warm up routines and wasn't ready. Scherzer blew the game for the Nats in the NLDS and Verlander gave up a lead coming in for relief vs. the Sawx...

This was rambling, anyway, I don't think it's THAT indefensible of a statement and there have been plenty of starters who have come in as relievers and sucked or been meh/meh- instead of meh+

Are you ready for the two times through the lineup era to begin?
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Gregs Kite » 02 Nov 2017, 08:22

TheWolf wrote:I have no real issue with anything you said there. But I stand by my point that generally speaking, starters are better pitchers than relievers. And I kinda think the whole "they didn't get their pregame routine" thing is a pretty lame excuse.

ANYWAY... I have to agree with the analysis of the great Michael Greenberg this morning. If Kershaw is available in that game, and you're willing to use him for 3-4 innings, he should start. Playoff success or lack thereof be damned, he's your best pitcher. If you're gonna use him, use him in the first inning so he can have his precious little routine and you can put yourself in the best position to win.

The great Michael Greenberg. ROFL.

I think you had to ride with Yu last night and hope he could get you through three or four, then get Kershaw in there to slam the door.
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

mister braycon - Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:00 pm: i need a man on the inside. do it shammy!

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 02 Nov 2017, 08:23

chrisco wrote:
The Long Dick of the Law wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:

Are you ready for the two times through the lineup era to begin?

Nope, I'm rather distasteful of the "quality start" "stat" being 6 IP, 3 ER..... bleh
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 02 Nov 2017, 08:45

If I'm the Dodgers and Darvish I'm pretty pissed off about these special balls they made for the series. Du couldn't throw his slider.
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm Gregs Kite: You tried. Slap that on your resume.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby Briandong79 » 02 Nov 2017, 08:47

MisterTambourineMan wrote:If I'm the Dodgers and Darvish I'm pretty pissed off about these special balls they made for the series. Du couldn't throw his slider.

One of Smoltz's best moments from the game last night was when he was talking about how the seams on the ball were making a circle when Yu threw his slider instead of a dot, meaning that he wasn't getting enough spin on the ball. That's good announcing.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

PreviousNext

Return to MLB