2017 Playoff Thread

Re: 2017 Playoff Thread

Postby Gregs Kite » 02 Nov 2017, 14:40

MisterTambourineMan wrote:If I'm the Dodgers and Darvish I'm pretty pissed off about these special balls they made for the series. Du couldn't throw his slider.

Or.......

@JonHeyman 3m3 minutes ago

verlander also said with the balls so slick and hard, he had to ditch slider and improvise a cutter. also said it helped his fastball.

....you adjust and become World Champion.
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby TheWolf » 02 Nov 2017, 14:47

Gregs Kite wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:If I'm the Dodgers and Darvish I'm pretty pissed off about these special balls they made for the series. Du couldn't throw his slider.

Or.......

verlander also said with the balls so slick and hard, he had to ditch slider and improvise a cutter. also said it helped his fastball.

Great point. No excuses, man the fuck up and work with what you have.

Both teams have to use them. /31
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby ctz31 » 02 Nov 2017, 14:52

TheWolf wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:

Or.......

What if one of those pitchers has relied on his slider as more of an out pitch in his career? Would aroldis chapman be as effective if they changed the balls so he couldn't throw it 105mph? I THINK NOT.
ctz31
#nnf

Postby TVF wannabe » 02 Nov 2017, 14:52

Briandong79 wrote:

One of Smoltz's best moments from the game last night was when he was talking about how the seams on the ball were making a circle when Yu threw his slider instead of a dot, meaning that he wasn't getting enough spin on the ball. That's good announcing.

I thought Smoltz was really good.

Baseball denies it but Mccullers took a "test" and chose the world series ball while blindfolded 6 times in a row. In game 6 at one point Verlander threw 3 or 4 balls to the side from the ump because he didnt like the feel.
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 02 Nov 2017, 14:54

TVF wannabe wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:

One of Smoltz's best moments from the game last night was when he was talking about how the seams on the ball were making a circle when Yu threw his slider instead of a dot, meaning that he wasn't getting enough spin on the ball. That's good announcing.

Baseball denies it but Mccullers took a "test" and chose the world series ball while blindfolded 6 times in a row. In game 6 at one point Verlander threw 3 or 4 balls to the side from the ump because he didnt like the feel.

Yeah, it ended up fucking Giles more than anyone but point still stands: WTF was with the balls?
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm Gregs Kite: You tried. Slap that on your resume.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby Gregs Kite » 02 Nov 2017, 14:57

ctz31 wrote:
TheWolf wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:

Or.......

What if one of those pitchers has relied on his slider as more of an out pitch in his career? Would aroldis chapman be as effective if they changed the balls so he couldn't throw it 105mph? I THINK NOT.

Champions adjust.

Losers make excuses.
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Rodney Farva » 02 Nov 2017, 15:04

maybe the world series balls had hydroceles. wolf, thoughts?

that paraphrasing from greenberg, i disagree. game 7 of the WS has become a whole different animal in managing the bullpen and using starters because they have months to rest and you don't have to worry about another game and another round. a lot of numbers nerds have been arguing against the traditional closer getting the ball at the start of the 9th in saying that you want the best guy pitching in the most important situation. it might have worked out differently, but i imagine roberts felt that if he had to pull in kershaw he'd rather set him up to come in if the game is close, than having him start and only able to go 2-3 innings at most.

i really enjoyed smoltz's work during the post-season. he sure does obsess about the spin of the ball on pitches. i don't think i've ever heard an analyst talking about the spin, but he did it 3-4 times a game at least. i have no idea if that's something a top pitcher would naturally focus on, or if that's just his personal focus.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby TVF wannabe » 02 Nov 2017, 15:06

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
TVF wannabe wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:

Yeah, it ended up fucking Giles more than anyone but point still stands: WTF was with the balls?

Baseball is accused of "juicing the balls" which I think means slicker surface and lower seams. They put out a statement denying it but it was a non denial to me. It just said the ball is within the legal qualifications.
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 02 Nov 2017, 15:10

TVF wannabe wrote:Baseball is accused of "juicing the balls" which I think means slicker surface and lower seams. They put out a statement denying it but it was a non denial to me. It just said the ball is within the legal qualifications.

Oh, the balls are fucking juiced. May I point you to the Twins month of August?

Rodney Farva wrote:maybe the world series balls had hydroceles. wolf, thoughts?

that paraphrasing from greenberg, i disagree. game 7 of the WS has become a whole different animal in managing the bullpen and using starters because they have months to rest and you don't have to worry about another game and another round. a lot of numbers nerds have been arguing against the traditional closer getting the ball at the start of the 9th in saying that you want the best guy pitching in the most important situation. it might have worked out differently, but i imagine roberts felt that if he had to pull in kershaw he'd rather set him up to come in if the game is close, than having him start and only able to go 2-3 innings at most.

Yeah, criticizing pitching changes or decisions is the easiest thing for us to do. If the Dodgers don't go 1-13 with RISP this is a different conversation.

i really enjoyed smoltz's work during the post-season. he sure does obsess about the spin of the ball on pitches. i don't think i've ever heard an analyst talking about the spin, but he did it 3-4 times a game at least. i have no idea if that's something a top pitcher would naturally focus on, or if that's just his personal focus.

I'll third or fourth this, Smoltz was good shit.
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm Gregs Kite: You tried. Slap that on your resume.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby TheWolf » 02 Nov 2017, 15:12

+1 on the Smoltz love.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby JichaelDick » 02 Nov 2017, 15:15

Rodney Farva wrote:i really enjoyed smoltz's work during the post-season. he sure does obsess about the spin of the ball on pitches. i don't think i've ever heard an analyst talking about the spin, but he did it 3-4 times a game at least. i have no idea if that's something a top pitcher would naturally focus on, or if that's just his personal focus.

I bet that both Houston and LA's folks mentioned spin rate a ton to him in pre-Series meetings (spin rate is quite the deal in analytics these days) that Smoltz was probably watching for it. He is a fantastic analyst, to echo the thoughts here.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby TVF wannabe » 02 Nov 2017, 15:15

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
TVF wannabe wrote:Baseball is accused of "juicing the balls" which I think means slicker surface and lower seams. They put out a statement denying it but it was a non denial to me. It just said the ball is within the legal qualifications.

Oh, the balls are fucking juiced. May I point you to the Twins month of August?

Rodney Farva wrote:maybe the world series balls had hydroceles. wolf, thoughts?

Yeah, criticizing pitching changes or decisions is the easiest thing for us to do. If the Dodgers don't go 1-13 with RISP this is a different conversation.

I'll third or fourth this, Smoltz was good shit.

here's the "statement":

"I'm absolutely confident that the balls that we're using are within our established specifications," Manfred said Friday before Game 3. "I think making a judgment based on seeing home runs in a single game just doesn't make a lot of sense to me."
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2118 ... ies-game-2

spin rate is recent focus of sabermetricians or analytics
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

Previous

Return to MLB