Poll ended at 25 Oct 2016, 22:16

Chicago Cubs
54%
Cleveland Indians
46%

Total votes : 13

Re: 2016 World Series - Cubs versus Indians

Postby Briandong79 » 31 Oct 2016, 10:13

JT99 wrote:Despite the loss, I agree that last night was a great game to watch. Real edge of the seat stuff throughout.

Tomlin gives up a lot of dingers and will be on a very short leash tomorrow given that Salazar is available in the pen for 50-70 pitches. Between the two, just need one to be on enough to get Indians to the 5th-6th. It is really amazing to how important it is to be leading after four innings in this series.

I pretty much expect both managers to take an all-hands-on-deck approach to game six figuring that both Kluber and Hendricks can go long on Wednesday.

Not going to lie, I don't feel safe at all.

After Game 4, I felt pretty good with the Cubs pitching matchups in 5 & 6. Kluber obviously scares me in 7. I somewhat forgot about Salazar. As I've said previously, he's the type of pitcher the Cubs can get to, but he is an effective long relief guy. Don't really see Lester or Lackey doing that for the Cubs, but Montgomery is real effective in that role (and will have 2 days off).

It feels like there should be a pretty big offensive game by both teams in this series. Game 6 seems like the obvious spot.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby mj3528 » 31 Oct 2016, 10:15

Briandong79 wrote:
JT99 wrote:Despite the loss, I agree that last night was a great game to watch. Real edge of the seat stuff throughout.

Tomlin gives up a lot of dingers and will be on a very short leash tomorrow given that Salazar is available in the pen for 50-70 pitches. Between the two, just need one to be on enough to get Indians to the 5th-6th. It is really amazing to how important it is to be leading after four innings in this series.

I pretty much expect both managers to take an all-hands-on-deck approach to game six figuring that both Kluber and Hendricks can go long on Wednesday.

After Game 4, I felt pretty good with the Cubs pitching matchups in 5 & 6. Kluber obviously scares me in 7. I somewhat forgot about Salazar. As I've said previously, he's the type of pitcher the Cubs can get to, but he is an effective long relief guy. Don't really see Lester or Lackey doing that for the Cubs, but Montgomery is real effective in that role (and will have 2 days off).

It feels like there should be a pretty big offensive game by both teams in this series. Game 6 seems like the obvious spot.

Tomlin has only given up 1 homerun in a large amount of innings after he came back from his rest.

He is a good match up against the Cubs. They don't like his slop breaking stuff. They want to hit fastballs.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby jman » 31 Oct 2016, 10:23

Briandong79 wrote:

The big offensive game should have been Game 3 with the wind blowing out as hard as it was but nobody could elevate the ball.
jman
Another dude worth meeting

Postby Briandong79 » 31 Oct 2016, 10:24

jman wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:

The big offensive game should have been Game 3 with the wind blowing out as hard as it was but nobody could elevate the ball.

Yeah, that was really weird.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby CourtesyFlush » 02 Nov 2016, 08:17

Seems only right that the two franchises with the longest title drought in the sport would have to wait until a game 7 to decide this thing. Gotta wonder if Kluber going on short rest for a second straight start will come back to bite the Injuns. But Kluber/Hendricks has the makings of a classic.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby Colonel Angus » 02 Nov 2016, 08:21

CourtesyFlush wrote:Seems only right that the two franchises with the longest title drought in the sport would have to wait until a game 7 to decide this thing. Gotta wonder if Kluber going on short rest for a second straight start will come back to bite the Injuns. But Kluber/Hendricks has the makings of a classic.

GPIA. Pretty good read about those same thoughts here: http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2016/11/2/1 ... ies-game-7
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby Gregs Kite » 02 Nov 2016, 08:23

CourtesyFlush wrote:Seems only right that the two franchises with the longest title drought in the sport would have to wait until a game 7 to decide this thing. Gotta wonder if Kluber going on short rest for a second straight start will come back to bite the Injuns. But Kluber/Hendricks has the makings of a classic.

Everyone's expecting a 2-1 duel, so it's pretty obvious that this is going to turn into a slugfest and battle of the bullpens. Very odd use of Chapman last night, but Maddon has all hands on deck in Lester, Lackey, etc.

Only saving grace is this bitch starts at 7pm, so I can theoretically pass out before midnight.
You fuckers ruined kite.

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

TheWolf - Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:26 pm: i'm ctz. i'm sober at 3:30 pm. dork

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby JT99 » 02 Nov 2016, 08:25

Gregs Kite wrote:

Everyone's expecting a 2-1 duel, so it's pretty obvious that this is going to turn into a slugfest and battle of the bullpens. Very odd use of Chapman last night, but Maddon has all hands on deck in Lester, Lackey, etc.

Only saving grace is this bitch starts at 7pm, so I can theoretically pass out before midnight.

7 pm?
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby CourtesyFlush » 02 Nov 2016, 08:28

JT99 wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:

7 pm?

My TV Guide says 8pm.

Agree on Chapman. That was weird having him come back out for the 9th, but I think Maddon had to be thinking like any Cubs fan--whatever can go wrong could go wrong.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby Gregs Kite » 02 Nov 2016, 08:34

CourtesyFlush wrote:
JT99 wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:

7 pm?

My TV Guide says 8pm.

Agree on Chapman. That was weird having him come back out for the 9th, but I think Maddon had to be thinking like any Cubs fan--whatever can go wrong could go wrong.

Fuck me running, I coulda sworn in my Quil haze I seen they were starting at 7pm. Got dammit. Thanks for setting me straight!
You fuckers ruined kite.

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

TheWolf - Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:26 pm: i'm ctz. i'm sober at 3:30 pm. dork

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Briandong79 » 02 Nov 2016, 08:36

CourtesyFlush wrote:
JT99 wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:

7 pm?

My TV Guide says 8pm.

I think it was just simply that they didn't have anyone up when it was 5 runs and then when it became 7, Strop wasn't ready to go quickly enough. 15 pitches isn't going to matter for his arm, I'd be more concerned about his ankle if I'm 100. I saw someone post on Twitter though that it seems like Theo has told Maddon to pitch Chapman until his arm falls off because they're not re-signing him.

I want the Cubs to be able to ride Hendricks, if I'm being 100. I think Kluber tops out around 6 innings max, and that's only if he's cruising again. The Cubs will need to get to him early. I thought Smoltz's point about Lester in relief was a good one (tough to bring him in to fight a tough inning because people can obviously run on him). I can't imagine we see Lackey unless it goes extras, and fairly deep extras.

And yes, the game only starts at 7 pm if you reside in God's Time Zone.

ETA: Kite they announced they're starting the pregame show at 7 eastern.
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby jman » 02 Nov 2016, 09:40

If Kluber can go even 4 I think the Injuns are in good shape with Miller and the rest of the good pen guys not having to throw last night.

Talk this morning was Chapman came in because the heart of the order was coming up and they didn't even want to let anything get going. I still don't know about bringing him in with even a 5 run lead though. I guess we'll find out tonight. If he comes in and sucks Maddon will get ripped for using him last night.

And I'd prefer Lackey doesn't get anywhere near the mound tonight unless it's to spray champagne or pose for a team photo if they win.
jman
Another dude worth meeting

Postby mj3528 » 02 Nov 2016, 09:43

I am very concerned about Kluber going again on short rest. Overall, he had good numbers in game 4, but he did not look nearly as sharp as he did in Game 1. It always felt like the Cubs were very close to getting to him.

When Kluber struggles he often gives up 3 or more runs in the first inning or two and then settles down. That is not an option for this game.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby TVF wannabe » 02 Nov 2016, 14:48

The price for a commercial tonight is $500k for 30 seconds.

Twitter claims there will be several commercials from both candidates. There was one from Hillary last night featuring just things Trump said, the commercial was PG13 at the minimum.
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

Postby CourtesyFlush » 02 Nov 2016, 14:50

TVF wannabe wrote:The price for a commercial tonight is $500k for 30 seconds.

Twitter claims there will be several commercials from both candidates. There was one from Hillary last night featuring just things Trump said, the commercial was PG13 at the minimum.

Any idea what the ratings for this game could be? Gotta figure this will be one of the most watched baseball games of all time given the possible history.

CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

PreviousNext

Return to MLB