OFFICIAL 2016 MLB Playoff Thread

OFFICIAL 2016 MLB Playoff Thread

Postby JichaelDick » 22 Sep 2016, 08:36

Looks like the division races are all but over (Boston, Cleveland, Texas in the AL; Washington, Chicago, and Los Angeles in the NL)

Where the fun is is the Wild Card races. In the AL, Toronto holds a one game lead for the 1st Wild Card and the right to host the play-in game over Baltimore, who is in the second spot. Nipping on their heels are Houston and Detroit, each one back of Baltimore, and Seattle, a game behind Houston and Detroit. Meanwhile, in the NL, you have a three way tie between St. Louis, San Francisco, and New York. The Marlins are 4 back.

Gut feeling: Detroit overtakes Baltomore, and Frisco and St. Louis play the "Cub Eliminator" one-game shot.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Re: OFFICIAL 2016 MLB Playoff Thread

Postby OJ8871440 » 23 Sep 2016, 08:30

JichaelDick wrote:Looks like the division races are all but over (Boston, Cleveland, Texas in the AL; Washington, Chicago, and Los Angeles in the NL)

Where the fun is is the Wild Card races. In the AL, Toronto holds a one game lead for the 1st Wild Card and the right to host the play-in game over Baltimore, who is in the second spot. Nipping on their heels are Houston and Detroit, each one back of Baltimore, and Seattle, a game behind Houston and Detroit. Meanwhile, in the NL, you have a three way tie between St. Louis, San Francisco, and New York. The Marlins are 4 back.

Gut feeling: Detroit overtakes Baltomore, and Frisco and St. Louis play the "Cub Eliminator" one-game shot.

Pirates are only 4 back and could possibly overtake the Cardinals since they play the final weekend. Giants end the year with the Dodgers; the Mets have the easiest schedule so of course they've gone 1-3, taking two comebacks last night just to keep it from 0-4. A 3 way tie would be some fun chaos:

Mets go to St. Louis Monday playing for the #1 seed
Loser goes to SF on Tuesday
Winner of Tuesday goes to the winner of Monday's game on Wednesday

Winner of that goes to Chicago on Friday and Saturday

AL scenario is even more of a nightmare but I don't care about that
Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:39 pm Dr Jeckyll who the hell reads OJ posts?
OJ8871440
Rocky Balboa

Postby JT99 » 23 Sep 2016, 08:51

Detroit has four games with the Tribe next week which could really hurt their chances given how #tpt has bashed them all season.

Also, Cleveland needs to chase the top seed in order to avoid Boston as long as possible.
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 23 Sep 2016, 14:04

I just peeped the Phillies sked. Only 9 games left.

PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby JichaelDick » 29 Sep 2016, 00:57

Wild Card races heatin' up. All the divisions are won. Looks like the Cards are gonna have to get some home wins, and soon, to make it.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 29 Sep 2016, 06:25

JichaelDick wrote:Wild Card races heatin' up. All the divisions are won. Looks like the Cards are gonna have to get some home wins, and soon, to make it.

Yeah.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Gregs Kite » 29 Sep 2016, 07:44

JichaelDick wrote:Wild Card races heatin' up. All the divisions are won. Looks like the Cards are gonna have to get some home wins, and soon, to make it.

They'll make it. Matheny will have them playing the right way down the home stretch and once they get in the tournament you know.....you KNOW the best fans in baseball will halffill Busch Stadium and launch this team into the stratosphere.
You fuckers ruined kite.

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

BostonSucksMyBalls - Thu May 11, 2017 2:07 pm: greg your being a lil bitch in the hall of sand

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby TheWolf » 29 Sep 2016, 07:45

maybe if he spent a little more time focusing on his team instead of making those yummy avocado snacks, he'd have the wild card clinched already.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 29 Sep 2016, 08:11

Gregs Kite wrote:

They'll make it. Matheny will have them playing the right way down the home stretch and once they get in the tournament you know.....you KNOW the best fans in baseball will halffill Busch Stadium and launch this team into the stratosphere.

They ain't going anywhere. Fuck 'em.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 29 Sep 2016, 10:10

Mike is right. Jaime Garcia is killing us.

BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby TheWolf » 01 Oct 2016, 06:09

So Red Sox vs. #tpt is official now, right? Just waiting to see who gets home field?
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby JichaelDick » 01 Oct 2016, 06:41

TheWolf wrote:So Red Sox vs. #tpt is official now, right? Just waiting to see who gets home field?

Yes, sir.

Looking at it now, we have two divisional series set, with Boston and Cleveland and Washington and the LA Dodgers.

Texas and the Cubbies will face the Wild Card winners

NL:

The Mets have clinched, at worst, a one-game playoff to get into the wild-card game. One more win, or a St. Louis loss, clinches them a spot in the Wild Card game. The Giants are one game up on St. Louis with two to play. If the Giants sweep the Dodgers (who still have home-field to play for if the Nats get swept by the Marlins), then it's all over, and we get San Fran-New York in the Wild Card game. If the Giants split and the Cardinals sweep, then the Cardinals and Giants are tied. If the Mets were to lose their last two games, while the Giants split and the Cardinals swept, we have a three-way tie, which gets fun:

This is how it would work: The Mets and Cardinals would meet the Monday after the regular season (with the host being determined by better division record, more on this in a minute--which would be St. Louis in this case) for the top Wild Card spot. The loser would play the Giants in San Francisco on Tuesday for the second spot. The winners of the two games will face off in the Wild Card game on Wednesday.

AL:

Baltimore got a huge win last night, and coupled with the Blue Jays' loss to the Red Sox, the Orioles now only need a win in their last two to clinch a tiebreaker spot. The Blue Jays are still in the second wild card spot, but are now tied in the loss column with the Tigers, who beat the Barves in Atlanta last night. A half game behind the Tigers are the Mariners, who beat Oakland at home last night. There is still the possibility of a FOUR-WAY TIE in this thing. Baltimore loses out, the Blue Jays split, the Tigers win two of their three remaining games, and Seattle sweeps, you would have four teams at 88-74. That would lead to this:

Using the tiebreakers above (1. head-to-head. 2. intradivisional record. 3. intraleague record), the teams would be ranked 1-4. The teams then get to select their overall spot, but basically it means that teams 1&2 will choose to host a tiebreaker game and teams 3&4 will be playing at these teams. The winners of the games will then play one final tiebreaker (or, if tied for the WC1 spot, the Wild Card Game) to determine the winner.

I THINK it would be 1. Seattle, 2. Detroit, 3. Toronto, 4. Baltimore in this scenario, with the two winners then facing off in the Wild Card game (I guess the highest remaining seed would be the home-field host).

I, for one, am rooting for chaos.
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby JT99 » 01 Oct 2016, 07:26

TheWolf wrote:So Red Sox vs. #tpt is official now, right? Just waiting to see who gets home field?

BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby JichaelDick » 02 Oct 2016, 03:22

UPDATE:

NL and AL are fairly simple at this point. If San Francisco wins or St. Louis loses tomorrow, the Giants will travel to Citi Field in Wednesday in the NL Wild Card game. In the AL, if Toronto and Baltimore win tomorrow, or Detroit loses, then we get a Toronto-Baltimore game in Rogers Centre for the Wild Card.

That said, should Detroit win, and Toronto and Baltimore lose, the makeup game between Detroit and Cleveland would be played Monday. The Indians may still have something to play for (home field against Boston), so who knows how that would go.
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Frank the Tank » 02 Oct 2016, 07:06

The AL scenario where it's not known there's a three-way tie until after Monday'/ game is a fun one. Not exactly total chaos but the wild card game would need to be pushed back a day.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Next

Return to MLB