The Umpire thread

Re: The Umpire thread

Postby Prez » 15 Apr 2017, 05:28

Veteran umpire Dale Scott took a shot to the mask and was carted off last night which of course sparked pages and pages of debate on social media about a traditional mask vs. the hockey style mask (bucket). I'm a bucket guy and will never go back but lots of guys feel that the way his mask came off on impact, actually softens the blow. :beatsme: I like the additional protection for my head and ears.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v1285753883/baltor-umpire-gets-struck-by-foul-tip
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby mj3528 » 19 Apr 2017, 09:24

I don't know how this guy continues to be an umpire in MLB:

http://deadspin.com/wow-that-was-some-bizarre-umpiring-in-nats-braves-1794446772
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby SouthernYokel » 19 Apr 2017, 09:27

mj3528 wrote:I don't know how this guy continues to be an umpire in MLB:

http://deadspin.com/wow-that-was-some-bizarre-umpiring-in-nats-braves-1794446772

he tried to keep my streak going
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 19 Apr 2017, 09:30

SouthernYokel wrote:

he tried to keep my streak going

The Nats announcers (who are terrible) were gonna have aneurysms. I had fingers crossed!
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby Prez » 19 Apr 2017, 09:44

Yeah, he's pretty bad. I have no idea how he could've called that foul, the only possible explanation is that he thought he heard it hit the bat. Other than that, I got nothing.
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby JT99 » 19 Apr 2017, 09:47

Prez wrote:

Yeah, he's pretty bad. I have no idea how he could've called that foul, the only possible explanation is that he thought he heard it hit the bat. Other than that, I got nothing.

The ball off the catcher's mitt made that sound, but he's got to be better than that
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby TheWolf » 20 Apr 2017, 08:22

If he was white he'd have been fired years ago. Fucking SJWs.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Prez » 20 Apr 2017, 09:30

I umpired a "big" varsity game yesterday, one of the teams was undefeated and apparently the coach is known to be a jerk. While texting with my partner before the game (he's a senior member of my umpire board) he tells me that he is evaluating me during this game and reminds me about the asshole coach. I almost got the feeling he was expecting me to turtle like a bitch and ask him to work the plate for this game. I didn't.

The game went off without a hitch, the undefeated team played well, the host team not so much. The pitchers threw a lot of strikes (this is KEY). Final score was 12-0 with the winning pitcher losing a perfect game on potentially the final batter to a booming ground rule double that bounced over the CF fence. It was probably the fastest 12-0 blowout ever... game time was about 95 minutes.

As we were leaving the field both coaches gave me the wave with a "good game, Blue" remark and my partner gave me kudos in the parking lot. All in all, a successful day on the field considering I was a little nervous beforehand. I'll try not to break my arm patting myself on the back.
Prez
The MAWG

Postby SouthernYokel » 20 Apr 2017, 09:39

way to not fuck up umpiring a blowout prez
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby mj3528 » 20 Apr 2017, 09:43

JT99 wrote:
Prez wrote:

The ball off the catcher's mitt made that sound, but he's got to be better than that

C.B. Bucknor somehow makes a worse call the next night:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/umpire-cb-bucknor-blows-another-call/ar-BBA3Qoi?li=BBnb7Kz
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby Goose » 01 May 2017, 15:43

This 12-0 game being the fastest blowout ever and the pitchers throwing a lot of strikes reminded me of a question I meant to ask you about a game from last week.

I turned on some random game on the MLB network after watching the Rays game. It was the Reds/Brewers and if I remember correctly it was the 7th inning and was a 9-0 Brewers lead. I didn't see the previous innings, but the strike zone from the 7th on was huge. The pitchers from both teams were getting every call within six inches of the plate. I'm surprised that they didn't turn off the pitch tracker graphic, b/c nothing was inside the box*.

Is that a standard umpiring move in a blowout? If you can't answer b/c you'd be breaking some kind of umpire code I'll understand.

*SPOILER ALERT/this was also the end to Seven.
Hall of Sand, Class of 2025
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Prez » 01 May 2017, 20:27

Goose wrote:This 12-0 game being the fastest blowout ever and the pitchers throwing a lot of strikes reminded me of a question I meant to ask you about a game from last week.

I turned on some random game on the MLB network after watching the Rays game. It was the Reds/Brewers and if I remember correctly it was the 7th inning and was a 9-0 Brewers lead. I didn't see the previous innings, but the strike zone from the 7th on was huge. The pitchers from both teams were getting every call within six inches of the plate. I'm surprised that they didn't turn off the pitch tracker graphic, b/c nothing was inside the box*.

Is that a standard umpiring move in a blowout? If you can't answer b/c you'd be breaking some kind of umpire code I'll understand.

That is very normal for a game I would be involved in (high school and below) NOT normal for MLB.
Prez
The MAWG

Postby Goose » 02 May 2017, 08:39

Prez wrote:
Goose wrote:This 12-0 game being the fastest blowout ever and the pitchers throwing a lot of strikes reminded me of a question I meant to ask you about a game from last week.

That is very normal for a game I would be involved in (high school and below) NOT normal for MLB.

Thank you for your candor. But maybe even the umpires couldn't get up for a Red/Brewers tilt in April and just wanted to go home like the fans and the players.
Hall of Sand, Class of 2025
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Rodney Farva » 02 May 2017, 12:03

hey prez, hey.

realizing that softball and baseball have different rules (i haven't checked my softball rule book yet :fletch: to see if he got it right), how would you handle this as the plate umpire if this happened in a baseball game?

http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/192 ... 75147379=1

my thinking, which is probably wrong, would be to work through these questions:

- when the batter-runner and her teammate had celebrated and she was walking off in physical contact with them, is she still eligible to go back to touch the plate, or has she somehow moved too far away from the play/given herself up? a subset of this is whether a teammate or coach pushed her toward home, which didn't appear to be the case.

- is the replacement ball in play? how is the catcher able to use the replacement ball to make a tag when it wasn't the ball that was hit on that play? shouldn't the ball be given to the pitcher who has to get on the pitching plate for it to be in play?

if the answer to the first one is the runner is still able to come back to touch the plate, then i would think that on the second point the umpire handled it incorrectly and there was no way for the defense to tag her out. if she wasn't able to come back, it should have been that the pitcher took the ball on the pitching plate to face the next batter, stepped off, tossed it to the catcher who steps on home as an appeal and gets the out.

what do you think?
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Prez » 02 May 2017, 14:05

Rodney Farva wrote:hey prez, hey.

realizing that softball and baseball have different rules (i haven't checked my softball rule book yet :fletch: to see if he got it right), how would you handle this as the plate umpire if this happened in a baseball game?

http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/192 ... 75147379=1

my thinking, which is probably wrong, would be to work through these questions:

- when the batter-runner and her teammate had celebrated and she was walking off in physical contact with them, is she still eligible to go back to touch the plate, or has she somehow moved too far away from the play/given herself up? a subset of this is whether a teammate or coach pushed her toward home, which didn't appear to be the case.

- is the replacement ball in play? how is the catcher able to use the replacement ball to make a tag when it wasn't the ball that was hit on that play? shouldn't the ball be given to the pitcher who has to get on the pitching plate for it to be in play?

if the answer to the first one is the runner is still able to come back to touch the plate, then i would think that on the second point the umpire handled it incorrectly and there was no way for the defense to tag her out. if she wasn't able to come back, it should have been that the pitcher took the ball on the pitching plate to face the next batter, stepped off, tossed it to the catcher who steps on home as an appeal and gets the out.

what do you think?

Pretty sure the rule is the same for baseball and softball here.
The umpire was 100% correct, once she left the home plate area (dirt circle) she was eligible to be called our ON APPEAL. All missed base touches are only called on appeal, meaning the umpire does not say or do anything to tip off the defense that a base was missed but if appealed, the runner is out. Appeal rules differ by rule set. In high school, the defense can make a dead ball appeal but in MLB it has to be a live ball appeal. I have no clue what the appeal rules are in college softball. Regarding a new ball, that makes no difference. Usually on an appeal like this, they don't even need to tag the player, just make a legal appeal.

I'm fairly certain that the runner could come back and touch the plate until she enters dead ball territory (dugout), that's why they had to appeal and tag her in this case.
Prez
The MAWG

PreviousNext

Return to MLB