The Umpire thread

Re: The Umpire thread

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 11 Aug 2016, 09:16

Why wouldn't the ump be making the SAFE sign in the graphic?
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Prez » 11 Aug 2016, 09:25

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:Why wouldn't the ump be making the SAFE sign in the graphic?

The original pic said "Make America Great Again" but was changed to an umpire term.
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby Colonel Angus » 13 Aug 2016, 07:34

Saw this on Facebook and thought of you, Prez:

"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby Rodney Farva » 04 Sep 2016, 06:51

did my first little league game of the year and i fully admit i did an awful job because one team didn't have anyone who could catch and i was getting eaten alive. took one shot straight to the inside of my thigh, another one to the jaw (didn't feel anything - thanks, new helmet!), eventually i was just worried about making sure i didn't get hit. this league is now mostly local_kids, and a mix of kids who have never played before and some who are a bit older and have real live arms, pitching on a little league sized field. so you get a pitcher right on top of the plate throwing bullets to a batter who has no clue with a catcher who can't catch him and who makes no effort on anything right to his glove. i don't feel like i missed any calls but i was ducking and weaving like crazy. embarrassing for me, even if nobody noticed. i may be to the point where i stop doing little league, and just do the high school games in the fall.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Prez » 02 Nov 2016, 10:17

Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby ctz31 » 02 Nov 2016, 10:18

Prez wrote:Umpiring is hard

Farva, thoughts?
ctz31
Witty Rank TBD

Postby Rodney Farva » 03 Nov 2016, 08:21

ctz31 wrote:
Prez wrote:Umpiring is hard

Farva, thoughts?

Randy Marsh. tee hee.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Prez » 24 Feb 2017, 13:54

I just got my high school umpire assignments for the first week or two or the season, it looks like I'm moving up on the ladder in my association. Last year I did 30 games, and about 1/2 of them were varsity, I also worked with a lot of meh to shitty umpires. I've been assigned 5 games so far and 4 of them are varsity level. Also, every partner so far would be considered in the upper echelon of our group (the vets who typically get all the good games). This is a good sign for the season and hopefully the trend continues. #ratholemoney
Prez
The MAWG

Postby babylurch » 10 Mar 2017, 07:17

Prez wrote:I just got my high school umpire assignments for the first week or two or the season, it looks like I'm moving up on the ladder in my association. Last year I did 30 games, and about 1/2 of them were varsity, I also worked with a lot of meh to shitty umpires. I've been assigned 5 games so far and 4 of them are varsity level. Also, every partner so far would be considered in the upper echelon of our group (the vets who typically get all the good games). This is a good sign for the season and hopefully the trend continues. #ratholemoney

Who does the evaluations? Do you see what people think of you? I had girls who mostly played lacrosse and field hockey. Enormous swings in the quality of the refs. Is it the same in HS baseball, or are there enough of you that the shitty ones get chased out quickly?
2013 Jason McElwaine Regional Champion
babylurch
Basketball Jesus

Postby Prez » 10 Mar 2017, 08:22

babylurch wrote:
Prez wrote:I just got my high school umpire assignments for the first week or two or the season, it looks like I'm moving up on the ladder in my association. Last year I did 30 games, and about 1/2 of them were varsity, I also worked with a lot of meh to shitty umpires. I've been assigned 5 games so far and 4 of them are varsity level. Also, every partner so far would be considered in the upper echelon of our group (the vets who typically get all the good games). This is a good sign for the season and hopefully the trend continues. #ratholemoney

Who does the evaluations? Do you see what people think of you? I had girls who mostly played lacrosse and field hockey. Enormous swings in the quality of the refs. Is it the same in HS baseball, or are there enough of you that the shitty ones get chased out quickly?

My association is small so it's pretty mickey mouse the way we do it.

We get evaluated by our partner (online) after each game with a rating of 1-10 in several different categories: Appearance, Mechanics, Rules Knowledge, Game Management. I do get to see my overall rating and comments, but do not know specifically who submitted them. We are able to request a formal evaluation by one of the senior guys, (which I have done several times) but that never happens because those guys are usually working games and don't have the time/desire to watch and evaluate other umpires. The rating system is in place to assist the Assignor in giving the best games to the best umpires but that's not how it actually works.

For the most part it an old boys club with a select few getting the lions share of the premium games. There is a definite pecking order and I've managed to move up into the top ten out of about 50 umpires total. The lesser guys end up doing all JV, Freshman and Middle School games (about $60/game) The top tier guys get almost all Varsity games (about $91/game). I have been assigned 18 games so far and 12 of them are varsity. The last few seasons have been about 50/50 for varsity/sub-varsity, so I'm happy about the bump. As I mentioned in an earlier post, another big plus of moving up the ladder is working with better, more experience umpires... that just makes the game go much smoother and less stressful.
Prez
The MAWG

Postby mj3528 » 10 Mar 2017, 08:24

Did your appearance rating climb after your quest for #2hunna before Hawaii?
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby Prez » 10 Mar 2017, 08:31

mj3528 wrote:Did your appearance rating climb after your quest for #2hunna before Hawaii?

Who knows, the ratings are a joke. People rate their friends high no matter how shitty they look. In truth, the appearance rating is supposed to reflect the uniform and equipment. Some of these guys haven't spent a dime on either in forever and it does look bad when they show up with a faded or torn shirts or pants that don't fit etc. I did buy all new uniforms when I lost the weight, I take pride in my appearance on the field because I learned early that looking good is a key step in getting respect from a coach who might not know you.
Prez
The MAWG

Postby mj3528 » 10 Mar 2017, 14:32

2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby Frank the Tank » 11 Mar 2017, 09:37

mj3528 wrote:one very big reason that FTT will not become Prez's umpiring partner:

https://apnews.com/35dc9029f06845e788c02258d6524b76?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=APSouthRegion

Usually the games are early enough that I'm only buzzed.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby JichaelDick » 11 Mar 2017, 09:51

mj3528 wrote:one very big reason that FTT will not become Prez's umpiring partner:

https://apnews.com/35dc9029f06845e788c02258d6524b76?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=APSouthRegion

Supposedly a friend of mine taught said drunk umpire a few years back.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

PreviousNext

Return to MLB