The Umpire thread

The Umpire thread

Postby Prez » 15 Oct 2013, 10:52

With the replay rule changes taking effect soon, I thought we need a place to discuss this noble profession.
Umpiring is really fucking hard, especially for amateurs like myself that usually work in a 2 man crew. It's so hard, it can kill you.

MLB umpire Wally Bell, dead at 48
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Re: The Umpire thread

Postby Gregs Kite » 15 Oct 2013, 11:58

That's sad news. I'm going to make a donation to someone.

On a lighter note, is your third strike call like this?

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby JT99 » 16 Oct 2013, 19:46

Sure, referees should have the authority to throw cops out of games

Greenwood said he has spoken to both Gambino and Radcliffe and has concluded that "they have done nothing wrong." He said that under National Federation of State High School Association and Louisiana High School Athletic Association rules, once the game begins, a game official has "complete authority to remove whoever he needs to from (the sideline), the stands or anywhere else within the confines of the stadium."

BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby Rodney Farva » 17 Oct 2013, 00:05

JT99 wrote:Sure, referees should have the authority to throw cops out of games

Greenwood said he has spoken to both Gambino and Radcliffe and has concluded that "they have done nothing wrong." He said that under National Federation of State High School Association and Louisiana High School Athletic Association rules, once the game begins, a game official has "complete authority to remove whoever he needs to from (the sideline), the stands or anywhere else within the confines of the stadium."

dude, baseball umpires thread. tsk tsk.

and nothing gives a cop authority like wearing a baseball cap with his uniform

You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 17 Oct 2013, 04:42

JT99 wrote:Sure, referees should have the authority to throw cops out of games

Very childish.
#2C4S

Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby JT99 » 17 Oct 2013, 06:50

Rodney Farva wrote:

Well, I'm not about to start a separate thread for Referees only.
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

JT99
Between Bannings

Postby Gregs Kite » 17 Oct 2013, 07:12

JT99 wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:

Do you have personal refereeing stories? Maybe another thread is your best option.
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby JT99 » 17 Oct 2013, 07:59

Gregs Kite wrote:
JT99 wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:

Do you have personal refereeing stories?

Literally, zero.

JT99
Between Bannings

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 17 Oct 2013, 09:11

Hey, if we get to talk about referees in this thread, I have a proposal.

You know how in big title fights, the referees are always getting knocked out or distracted and thus miss some blatant cheating by one of the wrestlers? What if pro wrestling went with a two referee system like the hockey? I think that would help crack down on some of the blatant rule-bending. It would improve the product greatly. I think that one of the reasons people don't take wrestling seriously is because of the horrible officiating in the sport.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 27 Oct 2013, 10:46

Prez, can we get an in-depth analysis of the call at the end of last night's game? What would your call have been?
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby Prez » 27 Oct 2013, 11:03

Clayton Bigsby wrote:Prez, can we get an in-depth analysis of the call at the end of last night's game? What would your call have been?

Some of these points are being discussed in the Sox season thread. I'm already tired of talking about it but I will say this:

Umpiring baseball is really fucking hard especially for amateurs like myself who work in a 2 man crew and have 3 or 4 different rule sets to learn. Like I've already said, Jim Joyce made the correct call but the rule itself should be reviewed...what is Middlebrooks supposed to do in that situation? He dives for a ball and is called for obstruction about 1 second later? How is he supposed to clear space for the runner instantly? Remember, intent has no bearing on the ruling.

To answer your question, I probably would not have made the obstruction call, the fielder has every right to make a play on the ball and it happened too soon after his dive. Before everyone jumps on me, I've already admitted that after seeing it many times, and reading the rule, I think the correct call was made.

ETA: IMS posted the 5 calls on his FB page with this pic:

Craig is way inside of the bag at the moment of the obstruction, it could be argued that Middlebrooks was raising his legs to clear space for him if he had been where he should have been.
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby Frank the Tank » 27 Oct 2013, 11:23

Prez wrote:
Clayton Bigsby wrote:Prez, can we get an in-depth analysis of the call at the end of last night's game? What would your call have been?

Some of these points are being discussed in the Sox season thread. I'm already tired of talking about it but I will say this:

Umpiring baseball is really fucking hard especially for amateurs like myself who work in a 2 man crew and have 3 or 4 different rule sets to learn. Like I've already said, Jim Joyce made the correct call but the rule itself should be reviewed...what is Middlebrooks supposed to do in that situation? He dives for a ball and is called for obstruction about 1 second later? How is he supposed to clear space for the runner instantly? Remember, intent has no bearing on the ruling.

To answer your question, I probably would not have made the obstruction call, the fielder has every right to make a play on the ball and it happened too soon after his dive. Before everyone jumps on me, I've already admitted that after seeing it many times, and reading the rule, I think the correct call was made.

All good points.

Question about basepaths. One of the things I saw mentioned was about the "runners making their own basepaths". That was in regard to the question about whether or not Middlebrooks was on the baseline chalk, and someone was saying it didn't matter because "the runners make their own basepaths". While this may not have impacted last night's decision, to me it sounded stupid to me, since then the runner could go out of their way to try to get an obstruction call just by putting a fielder between them and the next base. Also, seemed to fly clearly in the face of calling a runner out for running out of the baseline. WTF is the concept behind "making your own basepath"?
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby mj3528 » 27 Oct 2013, 11:27

Frank the Tank wrote:
Prez wrote:

All good points.

Question about basepaths. One of the things I saw mentioned was about the "runners making their own basepaths". That was in regard to the question about whether or not Middlebrooks was on the baseline chalk, and someone was saying it didn't matter because "the runners make their own basepaths". While this may not have impacted last night's decision, to me it sounded stupid to me, since then the runner could go out of their way to try to get an obstruction call just by putting a fielder between them and the next base. Also, seemed to fly clearly in the face of calling a runner out for running out of the baseline. WTF is the concept behind "making your own basepath"?

I agree good points, but I think it is difficult to say you wouldn't have made the call. Joyce said he made the call instinctively, and he did make it right away. I have been in situations in Court when i haven't really been paying attention to a witness's testimony, and I hear something and automatically object. I think Joyce had a similar reaction.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby Prez » 27 Oct 2013, 11:30

Frank the Tank wrote:Question about basepaths. One of the things I saw mentioned was about the "runners making their own basepaths". That was in regard to the question about whether or not Middlebrooks was on the baseline chalk, and someone was saying it didn't matter because "the runners make their own basepaths". While this may not have impacted last night's decision, to me it sounded stupid to me, since then the runner could go out of their way to try to get an obstruction call just by putting a fielder between them and the next base. Also, seemed to fly clearly in the face of calling a runner out for running out of the baseline. WTF is the concept behind "making your own basepath"?

Basically, making your own basepath allows for a runner to "round" the bases without having to run in a direct point from base to base. I'm sure you've noticed that runners rounding third base are way out of the basepath and often times almost collide with the base coach...there is no problem with that. IF the runner stops half way between third and home and gets in a pickle (run down) his new established basepath is from where he is, directly to the next or previous base. If the runner deviates more than 3 feet from his established basepath, he is out.
Prez
The MAWG

Postby Frank the Tank » 27 Oct 2013, 11:32

Prez wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:Question about basepaths. One of the things I saw mentioned was about the "runners making their own basepaths". That was in regard to the question about whether or not Middlebrooks was on the baseline chalk, and someone was saying it didn't matter because "the runners make their own basepaths". While this may not have impacted last night's decision, to me it sounded stupid to me, since then the runner could go out of their way to try to get an obstruction call just by putting a fielder between them and the next base. Also, seemed to fly clearly in the face of calling a runner out for running out of the baseline. WTF is the concept behind "making your own basepath"?

Basically, making your own basepath allows for a runner to "round" the bases without having to run in a direct point from base to base. I'm sure you've noticed that runners rounding third base are way out of the basepath and often times almost collide with the base coach...there is no problem with that. IF the runner stops half way between third and home and gets in a pickle (run down) his new established basepath is from where he is, directly to the next or previous base. If the runner deviates more than 3 feet from his established basepath, he is out.

I understand with respect to rounding the bases when taking more than one base, but if I guy is standing on third without any momentum, then the concept wouldn't really apply, right? The only line is directly home, plus or minus three feet?
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Next

Return to MLB