The Texas Rangers thread

Re: The Texas Rangers thread

Postby Briandong79 » 01 Aug 2016, 16:52

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
mj3528 wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:This team's lineup is terrifying now.

It better be as they have no reliable starting pitching except for Cole Hamels.

And he stinks! [/Balls]

I'm rooting for him. /79

Nah, he no-hit the Cubs and then they couldn't trade for him. I hope he sucks.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Briandong79 » 11 Aug 2016, 11:24

Briandong79 wrote:I never realized that Adrian Beltre apparently hates it when people touch his head:

Aww.

PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 11 Aug 2016, 12:35

The Jackie Chiles School of Legal Injury Faking. Nice touch with the neckbrace. He still gets paid, Team goes thru Insurance. Everyone wins except the Insurance Company. It's the American Way.

I am cheering for him.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby Briandong79 » 22 Aug 2016, 09:11

3rd best record in baseball, best record in the AL, and their run differential is +1. Very fluky year.
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 22 Aug 2016, 09:13

Briandong79 wrote:3rd best record in baseball, best record in the AL, and their run differential is +1. Very fluky year.

Can you explain this a smidge further for me? Act like I'm Flush. Really spell it out so I understand it.

Should their run differential be more? Less? What is fluky?
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby CourtesyFlush » 22 Aug 2016, 09:18

Briandong79 wrote:3rd best record in baseball, best record in the AL, and their run differential is +1. Very fluky year.

Can you explain this a smidge further for me? Act like I'm Flush. Really spell it out so I understand it.

I'll explain it to you because I already understand. You would expect a team with a great record like theirs to have a higher run differential. It's basic math: if you're 20 games over .500 you would expect to have at least 20 more runs than your opposition but with the Rangers this year that isn't the case.

That help?
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 22 Aug 2016, 09:20

CourtesyFlush wrote:

I'll explain it to you because I already understand. You would expect a team with a great record like theirs to have a higher run differential. It's basic math: if you're 20 games over .500 you would expect to have at least 20 more runs than your opposition but with the Rangers this year that isn't the case.

That help?

I dont know. I wouldnt think that, actually. You've lost a lot of games also, so that run diff gets taken into account.

I dont know what a standard run diff would look like.

#Baseball

BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby CourtesyFlush » 22 Aug 2016, 09:21

CourtesyFlush wrote:

That help?

I dont know. I wouldnt think that, actually. You've lost a lot of games also, so that run diff gets taken into account.

#Baseball

What a sport amirite?!
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby Briandong79 » 22 Aug 2016, 09:23

CourtesyFlush wrote:

That help?

#Baseball

Basically, you can look at over 100 years of records and see that there is a fairly predictable relationship between the more you outscore your opponents, the better your record will be. If they were at .500, then the differential would be around 0. The Rangers are well above .500, so you'd expect them to be easily outscoring their opponents. As a comparison, the Cubs run differential this year is +208, so based on expected record, they actually are performing worse than expected. The Rangers are way overperforming, which makes it much more of a fluky year.

If you go off expected W-L, they'd be a game over .500 and behind the Astros and Mariners in their own division.
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Goose » 23 Aug 2016, 10:42

Briandong79 wrote:
CourtesyFlush wrote:

That help?

#Baseball

Basically, you can look at over 100 years of records and see that there is a fairly predictable relationship between the more you outscore your opponents, the better your record will be. If they were at .500, then the differential would be around 0. The Rangers are well above .500, so you'd expect them to be easily outscoring their opponents. As a comparison, the Cubs run differential this year is +208, so based on expected record, they actually are performing worse than expected. The Rangers are way overperforming, which makes it much more of a fluky year.

If you go off expected W-L, they'd be a game over .500 and behind the Astros and Mariners in their own division.

Run differential is generally used to predict wins.

Win% = (Runs Scored)^2/(Runs Scored^2 + Runs Allowed^2)

Comparing the Rangers and Cubs:

The Rangers are 73-52 with 582 runs scored and 581 runs allowed. The predictive # of wins would be 50.1% of their games or a record of 63-62.

The Cubs are 79-45 with 636 runs scored and 424 runs allowed. The predictive # of wins would be 69.2% of their games or a record of 86-38.

So the Rangers are considered pretty lucky to have their record and the Cubs are considered a bit unlucky for not having a better record.

For the most part, run differential reflects record. It's not perfect, but it's better than listening to Tim McCarver trying to explain the Rangers' intangibles or telling me that "nobody in the league is better at playing a ball like that than Scott Brosius" whenever he bare handed a slow roller down the third base line.
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Gregs Kite » 23 Nov 2016, 08:40

This hazing story is wonderful.

Video of the alleged assault, which took place toward the end of October, was captured and posted on Snapchat, according to sources. A 10-second clip of video, obtained by Yahoo Sports, shows the alleged victim in a Rangers shirt and Rangers shorts laying on a bed with his arms held behind his back and his legs pinned down. At least four men are seen in addition to the alleged victim, whose penis is exposed, grabbed and maneuvered underneath a hand towel. All of the men in the video, including the alleged victim, are seen laughing

LOL

Also, Rougned Odor's brother who is also named Rougned was involved in this. Fun for the whole fam.
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 22 Mar 2017, 22:08

Anyone see that story on HBO Real Sports about Reliever Matt Bush? Fucking nuts.

BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 23 Mar 2017, 06:14

Do tell
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 23 Mar 2017, 11:30

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:Do tell

I don't want to spoil it for you.

On the same episode, they did stories on Juan Dixon and Rick Ankiel, and the bizarre stuff they went thru. Good episode.

Tony LaRussa looks so weird.

BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 23 Mar 2017, 11:49

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:Do tell

I don't want to spoil it for you.

On the same episode, they did stories on Juan Dixon and Rick Ankiel, and the bizarre stuff they went thru. Good episode.

Tony LaRussa looks so weird.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
JT99 - Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:43 pm: Dude, the MAGA thread has already sabotaged the entire site
MisterTambourineMan
Now

PreviousNext

Return to MLB