The Unofficial Sand Diego Padres Thread

The Unofficial Sand Diego Padres Thread

Postby SDGuy » 17 Apr 2008, 23:38

Couldn't find a thread on the Padres, and it the (Devil) Rays get a thread, the Pads should too.

Anyways, Peavy has been absolutely amazing this year. He has allowed less than 6 hits/9 innings this year and has an ERA under 2. Tonight he gave up 4 hits in 8 innings with 11 Ks. I know he pitches in Petco, but personally I would rather have Peavy then Santana this year. Santana was mediocre (by his standards ) last year, and hasn't been too great this year. Meanwhile, Peavy was dominant last year (2.54 ERA, 1.06 WHIP, 240 Ks in 223 1/3 IP) and has continued that into this year.

Too bad other then Adrian Gonzalez they don't have any offense. Bring up Chase Headley!
Montecore's Revenge wrote:Protip: When you slit your wrists make sure you go north-south and not east-west. It will be harder for them to save you and it won't send out as much of a "just a cry for help, not a serious attempt" vibe
SDGuy
Basketball Jesus

Re: The Unofficial Sand Diego Padres Thread

Postby JichaelDick » 17 Apr 2008, 23:48

SDGuy wrote:Couldn't find a thread on the Padres, and it the (Devil) Rays get a thread, the Pads should too.

Anyways, Peavy has been absolutely amazing this year. He has allowed less than 6 hits/9 innings this year and has an ERA under 2. Tonight he gave up 4 hits in 8 innings with 11 Ks. I know he pitches in Petco, but personally I would rather have Peavy then Santana this year. Santana was mediocre (by his standards ) last year, and hasn't been too great this year. Meanwhile, Peavy was dominant last year (2.54 ERA, 1.06 WHIP, 240 Ks in 223 1/3 IP) and has continued that into this year.

Too bad other then Adrian Gonzalez they don't have any offense. Bring up Chase Headley!

Peavy's from Alabama, which is a huge plus in my book.

Having said that, I'd still take Santana, warts and all. I have no doubt in my mind he's about to make the NL pay for their insolance. Plus, using the Bill Simmons test, in a one-game shot, there's approximately 200 pitchers I'd take over him (Exhibit A, B, and C).
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby SDGuy » 17 Apr 2008, 23:54

JichaelDick wrote:
SDGuy wrote:Couldn't find a thread on the Padres, and it the (Devil) Rays get a thread, the Pads should too.

Peavy's from Alabama, which is a huge plus in my book.

Having said that, I'd still take Santana, warts and all. I have no doubt in my mind he's about to make the NL pay for their insolance. Plus, using the Bill Simmons test, in a one-game shot, there's approximately 200 pitchers I'd take over him (Exhibit A, B, and C).

I think he will also begin to dominate like Santana of old, but for how long? I've heard a lot of rumors that the reason the Twins were so ready to trade him was because of injury concerns. Either way I think 1 and 2 in the Cy Young will Peavy and Santana. I guess whoever gets the most wins will probably get the nod since the voters are stupid (re: 2005 Cy Young Bartolo Colon over Johan) but I think Peavy will have the better peripherals.
Montecore's Revenge wrote:Protip: When you slit your wrists make sure you go north-south and not east-west. It will be harder for them to save you and it won't send out as much of a "just a cry for help, not a serious attempt" vibe
SDGuy
Basketball Jesus

Postby JichaelDick » 18 Apr 2008, 00:00

He might, but I am also inherently biased toward Johan (the only guy in sports that can make me root against an Alabama guy, which says something).

Injury concerns? The dood's been a horse for the last 5 years. I know he didn't look right at the end of the season, but still...
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Bricks » 15 Aug 2008, 13:08

CEO Sandy Alderson regularly appears on the Padres' flagship station down here. He surprisingly takes fan calls, always gets blasted, and loses his shit. Hilarity follows.
nova wrote:With all of that said, fuck VCU. Fuck that shiny midget Shaka Smart. Fuck the city of Richmond.
Bricks
Basketball Jesus

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 30 Jul 2009, 15:54

Just remembered, their current mascot is teh ghey. Bring back The Chicken.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby JichaelDick » 15 Oct 2015, 13:13

JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 28 Feb 2017, 10:05

Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 28 Feb 2017, 10:21

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:Image

Is that a hippo sticking its head out?
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Return to MLB