Not Bosox-Yankees Again! Baseball on the TeeVee

Not Bosox-Yankees Again! Baseball on the TeeVee

Postby SDGuy » 13 Apr 2008, 23:31

Fuck you ESPN. Yanks-Sox tonight, tomorrow its Indians-Sox, Wednesday is Yanks-Sox AGAIN! Three times in one week? Jesus Christ do you mind putting any other team on TV?

Also, Fuck you ESPN for giving Joe Morgan a job. Tonight in the first inning, talking about Abreu and Dice-K - "He's [Abreu] struggled against him [Dice-K] the last couple years." Really Joe? Unless Bobby Abreu you was playing in fucking Japan 2 years ago, I doubt he has struggled against him the last couple years. You are honest to god the fucking worst announcer ever.
Montecore's Revenge wrote:Protip: When you slit your wrists make sure you go north-south and not east-west. It will be harder for them to save you and it won't send out as much of a "just a cry for help, not a serious attempt" vibe
SDGuy
Basketball Jesus

Re: ESPN Sucks

Postby Rickey Sez » 13 Apr 2008, 23:50

Well, they ARE the defendin World Champs.
I'd like to see a pair of boobs that would prompt me to write home. Maybe Scarlett Johannson level quality? "Dear Mom and Dad, I saw an awesome rack today. They were perfect. Everything else is fine. Love, BD79."
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby SDGuy » 14 Apr 2008, 00:01

Rickey Sez wrote:Well, they ARE the defendin World Champs.

Guess I must have missed all those Marlin games on ESPN during the '04 season. :roll:
Montecore's Revenge wrote:Protip: When you slit your wrists make sure you go north-south and not east-west. It will be harder for them to save you and it won't send out as much of a "just a cry for help, not a serious attempt" vibe
SDGuy
Basketball Jesus

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 14 Apr 2008, 07:58

SDGuy wrote:

Guess I must have missed all those Marlin games on ESPN during the '04 season. :roll:

hahahaha in Yo face, Sez
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Frank the Tank » 14 Apr 2008, 08:03

Joe Morgan is the absolute worst.

I don't blame non-Sox/Yanks fans for being upset about the northeast-centric programming, but it's all about ratings. I can't blame ESPN for putting on something that will draw 3M viewers vs. 500K viewers for some other games. Even the haters still watch the games to root for the Yanks/Sox (circle one) to lose.

Someone needs to start a petition where fans of the other 28 teams agree to stop watching Sox/Yanks games on ESPN but agree to go out of their way to watch the games featuring the other 28 teams. You've got to move the ratings needle if you want change.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby chrisco » 14 Apr 2008, 09:43

Frank the Tank wrote:Joe Morgan is the absolute worst.

Jon MIller doesn't do much to pick him up either.

I can't remember if it was 05 or 06, but for some reason every Sox game on the worldwide leader was a Wakefield start. Listening to the ESPN crews talk over and over and over again about what its like to hit the knuckleball, throw the knuckleball, or catch the knuckleball was like Chinese water torture. Assume 80% of your audience has seen Wake pitch, and quit acting like the knuckler is some alien pitch no one has ever seen before.
SY wrote:....but yeah if there's an awkward silence i am definitely filling it with nonsense.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby SouthernYokel » 14 Apr 2008, 09:46

chrisco wrote:

I can't remember if it was 05 or 06, but for some reason every Sox game on the worldwide leader was a Wakefield start. Listening to the ESPN crews talk over and over and over again about what its like to hit the knuckleball, throw the knuckleball, or catch the knuckleball was like Chinese water torture. Assume 80% of your audience has seen Wake pitch, and quit acting like the knuckler is some alien pitch no one has ever seen before.

in the 3-4 innings i watched last night, they were both equally awful. Princes of the obvious statement. I don't say kings because Tim McCarver will never be dethroned.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 14 Apr 2008, 10:09

I don't blame non-Sox/Yanks fans for being upset about the northeast-centric programming, but it's all about ratings. I can't blame ESPN for putting on something that will draw 3M viewers vs. 500K viewers for some other games. Even the haters still watch the games to root for the Yanks/Sox (circle one) to lose.
Someone needs to start a petition where fans of the other 28 teams agree to stop watching Sox/Yanks games on ESPN but agree to go out of their way to watch the games featuring the other 28 teams. You've got to move the ratings needle if you want change.

i think alot of people are sick and tired of both teams equally. they do get high ratings and i understand why they don't want to have teams like the marlins or the braves on that often when they can't even sell out playoff games. but there are other teams besides just those two that have huge nationwide fan bases. not sure if i have a point...just rambling. i don't really hate the red sox or the yankees, i'm just sick of the eastern seaboard promotional network acting like their "rivalry" is the biggest thing in sports.
Dr Jeckyll
The Bomb Dick

Postby Bricks » 14 Apr 2008, 11:30

SDGuy wrote:

The '04 Marlins were even loaded with talent, so the typical Florida firesale argument can't be used for that season. Untouchable makes a good point about not putting the Marlins on TV when they can't sell out home games, but along the same lines are the Angels. The Angels always sell out, won a World Series in the last half-decade and make the Playoffs almost every year. They make it on ESPN once a month.
nova wrote:With all of that said, fuck VCU. Fuck that shiny midget Shaka Smart. Fuck the city of Richmond.
Bricks
Basketball Jesus

Postby DirtDawg » 14 Apr 2008, 23:49

chrisco wrote:

jon miller used to be excellent when he was with the orioles. joe morgan has pretty much leeched the competency out of him like an evil succubus...

ETA: Just found out that Wikipedia that Jon Miller is gay?
Bricks - given the opportunity I would rape your dead grandmother's corpse and burn down your house. No offense.
MTM - A saint that rapes is still saint.
DirtDawg
Never Forgotten

Postby Rodney Farva » 15 Apr 2008, 06:25

Bricks wrote:
SDGuy wrote:

The '04 Marlins were even loaded with talent, so the typical Florida firesale argument can't be used for that season. Untouchable makes a good point about not putting the Marlins on TV when they can't sell out home games, but along the same lines are the Angels. The Angels always sell out, won a World Series in the last half-decade and make the Playoffs almost every year. They make it on ESPN once a month.

for 2007 the angels were 23rd best road draw in baseball. draw well at home, inconsequential on the road, and they don't have much of a profile outside socal. so not surprising they aren't on national tv much. in case anyone cares (doubtful!), top 10 in road attendance were: boston; yankees; cubs; mets; giants; pirates (wtf!!!???); diamondbacks; padres; bravos; and reds.

dawg, i see they have miller in that category, assume somebody pulled a funny. his official bio on the giants' site says he's married (to a woman) with four kids. couldn't find any refs from a google search to him being a mo.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Frank the Tank » 15 Apr 2008, 07:05

Rodney Farva wrote:pirates (wtf!!!???);

Maybe they're a big draw because fans of the home teams really wanted to see a guaranteed win.

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 15 Apr 2008, 07:49

why arent the phillies in the top 10? i thought chicks dug the long ball(Howard). and long cock(Charlie Manuel).
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Dunking Donut » 15 Apr 2008, 08:02

As for the Pirates and road attendance, there's a lot of transplants in Charlotte from Pittsburgh. So I'm inferring that as the city's manufacturing base declined and people moved elsewhere for jobs, they kept following the Pirates on the theory that people keep some sort of allegience to the team they grew up with. My neighbor, for example, is from the 'burgh. So he goes and roots for the Stillers when they come and play the Panthers. Same premise.

Hey, I'm throwing it out there. :)
jew jitsu wrote:Shit is overblown honestly, if we are going by today's standard I committed sexual assault a bunch of times. Give me a break
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby Frank the Tank » 15 Apr 2008, 08:05

Dunking Donut wrote:As for the Pirates and road attendance, there's a lot of transplants in Charlotte from Pittsburgh. So I'm inferring that as the city's manufacturing base declined and people moved elsewhere for jobs, they kept following the Pirates on the theory that people keep some sort of allegience to the team they grew up with. My neighbor, for example, is from the 'burgh. So he goes and roots for the Stillers when they come and play the Panthers. Same premise.

Hey, I'm throwing it out there. :)

The Steelers occasionally have a .500-or-better season. The Pirates are at least eight years away from being able to say that (and probably more).

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Next

Return to MLB