Consistent Futility: The Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Consistent Futility: The Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby Frank the Tank » 07 Nov 2007, 08:59

Theny wrote:The Pirates got a new manager. Haven't heard any thoughts on that.

Thoughts? They're going to have another losing season, that's my thought. Ownership is inept, they're not using any of the new ballpark revenue wisely, and their scouts are apparently blind. Even the fucking Marlins have a winning season every now and then. I hope Mark Cuban buys the Pirates after the Cubs rebuff him.

I look forward to this thread's next post in about 30 months.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Theny » 07 Nov 2007, 09:04

Yeah, I don't know why they'd bother with a new stadium if they're not gonna spend money on payroll or develop a decent farm system. Something's gotta give, maybe Cuban really should go after the Pirates instead of the Cubs. It's like buying the ugliest house on the block--you get it cheaper and can pretty much only make it more valuable if you give it a little TLC.

Curse of Bream and FCab sonz. :sniff:
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Frank the Tank » 07 Nov 2007, 09:09

Cuban's talked fleetingly about purchasing the Pirates before. He's from Pittsburgh so it wouldn't be a completely random acquisition.

Teams that get revenue sharing should be forced to maintain minimum payrolls. The Marlins getting $33 million a year and wanting to keep their payroll under $30 million next year is pathetic. The Pirates are right there with them in patheticness, having a nice new stadium that is arguably the best in all of major league baseball and still having a teeny tiny payroll.

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Theny » 07 Nov 2007, 09:12

Yeah, and especially in a weak ass division like the NL Central spending a little $$ would go a lot further than, say, the AL East. Although it's bullshit for the whole division that they have to have an extra team.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Frank the Tank » 07 Nov 2007, 09:15

Theny wrote:Although it's bullshit for the whole division that they have to have an extra team.

Agreed, and they can't match the Cubs' spending might, but given the Cubs' record the past, oh, hundred years or so it's not as much as an impediment as it would be in some other divisions. The Pirates have a much better shot every year than the Devil Rays do, and the Devil Rays are still scouting well enough to improve somewhat. The Pirates have a few things working against them, but there's no excuse for their current string of losing seasons.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Theny » 07 Nov 2007, 09:21

If the Pirates had the Devil Rays' talent they'd probably be a playoff team every few years.

I just don't understand how you can stand pat for, oh, 16 years and not do something drastic as an organization. This happens a lot in the NBA too, I don't get it. Your job is to compete for a championship or at least get a crowd to your games and so many teams don't seem to care about either of those things.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Tremendous_sidePotential » 07 Nov 2007, 12:48

Thanks.
http://7up17togo.blogspot.com/

Bricks Tue May 04, 2010 11:32 pm How many chicks have you bedded _?
_ Tue May 04, 2010 11:33 pm: i will say 27 with a confidence interval of around 97%
nerf66 Tue May 04, 2010 11:34 pm: 97% confident they were all women?
Tremendous_sidePotential
The Bomb Dick

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 07 Nov 2007, 13:00

They need to make more deals like the Matt Morris deal.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 07 Nov 2007, 13:08

pls ban me from this thread. the pirates are the exact reason, pretty much, that i hate MLB. I dont hate that team, but you get it ...
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Dunking Donut » 07 Nov 2007, 13:24

I calling the Pirates 'Buckos' gay or kinda cool?

I have nothing else to add besides the fact that they should spend money in order to win. Or just fire everyone and start over.
jew jitsu wrote:Shit is overblown honestly, if we are going by today's standard I committed sexual assault a bunch of times. Give me a break
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby Frank the Tank » 07 Nov 2007, 13:43

Dunking Donut wrote:I have nothing else to add besides the fact that they should spend money in order to win. Or just fire everyone and start over.

Why not both?

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 19 Nov 2007, 13:16

so what D-List FAs are the Buccos targeting?
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Fletch » 19 Nov 2007, 13:37

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:so what D-List FAs are the Buccos targeting?

I hear there's a large-headed former Pirate in need of a job (and a lawyer).

I don't think there should be a minimum payroll. If there are any fans dumb enough to attend games or buy products from teams like this, then those fans deserve the teams. More fans need to tell their teams (if not baseball in general) to "fuck off" every now and then.
nasty nova wrote:I'm a meaningless piece of shit
Fletch
The Bomb Dick

Postby Frank the Tank » 20 Nov 2007, 09:20

Irwin M. Fletcher wrote:

I don't think there should be a minimum payroll. If there are any fans dumb enough to attend games or buy products from teams like this, then those fans deserve the teams. More fans need to tell their teams (if not baseball in general) to "fuck off" every now and then.

Well considering that the fans are still getting stuck with the tax that paid for the new stadium I think the taxpayers/fans/state/city have already paid their dues. The club should have a minimum fiduciary duty to attempt competitiveness.

If it's a team that hasn't gotten a new stadium and hasn't done shit (i.e. the Marlins) then their revenue sharing payments should be suspended and their team contracted.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Fletch » 20 Nov 2007, 11:05

Frank the Tank wrote:
Irwin M. Fletcher wrote:

Well considering that the fans are still getting stuck with the tax that paid for the new stadium I think the taxpayers/fans/state/city have already paid their dues. The club should have a minimum fiduciary duty to attempt competitiveness.

If it's a team that hasn't gotten a new stadium and hasn't done shit (i.e. the Marlins) then their revenue sharing payments should be suspended and their team contracted.

The tax that I'm sure they voted for.

Look, I'm with you in not liking the fact that there are some deadbeat teams out there that pay no attention to the few, passionate fans that they have.

But at the same time, I'm sick of hearing everyone bitch about the evil teams but never doing anything about it. Don't like it? Boycott the team. All we hear about is how much baseball is in trouble due to this, that, and the other, yet revenues and attendance are at all time highs. Want them to know you're pissed? Stop giving them your money. (This rants isn't so much directed at you, Frank, but at all fans who bitch yet still pay.)
nasty nova wrote:I'm a meaningless piece of shit
Fletch
The Bomb Dick

Next

Return to MLB