40% of the time it works, every time: The M's

Re: 40% of the time it works, every time: The M's

Postby someguysomewhere » 07 Dec 2013, 12:01

mj3528 wrote:
someguysomewhere wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:I agree it's a preposterous contract, but doesn't this give Seattle some sort of credibility now? I don't see the Ms producing piles of major league ready talent, so maybe it's time to bring in some free agent talent. Cano is in his prime, and Seattle can use him and King Felix as drawing cards now. Sure, years 7-10 are gonna be painful, but if it gets David Price there via trade, then signed long term, I'd call it a necessary evil.

For now, enjoy the preen.

Their young guy are actually decent to ok. I could kind of tolerate this deal if Cano was "the final piece". But he's not. He's signed at the one position the M's have decent depth. They still have pretty much the worst outfield in baseball.

They don't make near the revenue to rely on signing the free agents. Texas and Anaheim make way more in local TV money than they do.

If they trade Taijuan Walker for Price I will lose my shit.

If the team isn't producing enough talent through the system, change the system. Trying to spend with Anaheim and Texas is only going to end one way.

I guess this is the end of the Dustin Ackley era.

Well, either one or two of him, Miller and Franklin has to go now, I guess. Ackley actually played a lot in the outfield last year, though. I would have been happy enough waiting another year to see which of those guys worked out, ya know?
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 07 Dec 2013, 14:40

Dude's name is Taijuan? Pronounced like Taiwan? Awesome.
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby someguysomewhere » 07 Dec 2013, 17:17

Clayton Bigsby wrote:Dude's name is Taijuan? Pronounced like Taiwan? Awesome.

Yeah. He good. Real good.

The other good pitching prospect is a guy named Paxton from Ladner.
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 07 Dec 2013, 19:39

someguysomewhere wrote:
Clayton Bigsby wrote:Dude's name is Taijuan? Pronounced like Taiwan? Awesome.

Yeah. He good. Real good.

The other good pitching prospect is a guy named Paxton from Ladner.

^^^THIS
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby Rodney Farva » 09 Dec 2013, 11:09

someone at the Seattle Times sure is sweet on Eric Wedge. things sounds awfully ugly there and (if true) signing Robbie Cano and bringing in Lloyd McClendon, aren't gonna fix it.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby someguysomewhere » 09 Dec 2013, 12:20

Rodney Farva wrote:someone at the Seattle Times sure is sweet on Eric Wedge. things sounds awfully ugly there and (if true) signing Robbie Cano and bringing in Lloyd McClendon, aren't gonna fix it.

Passes the sniff test to me. Definitely some #butthurt from Wedge and those other guys there, but they must be really, really, really pissed off (and assume the rest of baseball knows these guys are shitheads) to go on the record with that stuff.
the very best of _:

Mar 15

Apr 25
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby TVF wannabe » 09 Dec 2013, 12:29

The Cano signing is a good one, they needed a great and marquee player, he is both. The signing is comparable to the Nats signing Werth and by comparison the Cano deal is better.
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

Postby SouthernYokel » 09 Dec 2013, 13:12

TVF wannabe wrote:The Cano signing is a good one, they needed a great and marquee player, he is both. The signing is comparable to the Nats signing Werth and by comparison the Cano deal is better.

i don't think it's really comparable to werth...like at all. Other than they both got more than they should have. 7/$126 is dumb but it's not Cano dumb.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby mj3528 » 09 Dec 2013, 13:25

someguysomewhere wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:someone at the Seattle Times sure is sweet on Eric Wedge. things sounds awfully ugly there and (if true) signing Robbie Cano and bringing in Lloyd McClendon, aren't gonna fix it.

Passes the sniff test to me. Definitely some #butthurt from Wedge and those other guys there, but they must be really, really, really pissed off (and assume the rest of baseball knows these guys are shitheads) to go on the record with that stuff.

good hatchet job on the GM. Anytime an article can make me have some sympathy for Eric Wedge, it must either be very good or terribly slanted in his favor.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby TVF wannabe » 09 Dec 2013, 13:32

SouthernYokel wrote:
TVF wannabe wrote:The Cano signing is a good one, they needed a great and marquee player, he is both. The signing is comparable to the Nats signing Werth and by comparison the Cano deal is better.

i don't think it's really comparable to werth...like at all. Other than they both got more than they should have. 7/$126 is dumb but it's not Cano dumb.

The situation is, to me, comparable. The contract isn't "crazy" in the context of recent stars.

Positions in Baseball can be overated but he is miles above any other 2B and his batting numbers justify the contract.
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

Postby SouthernYokel » 09 Dec 2013, 13:37

TVF wannabe wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:

The situation is, to me, comparable. The contract isn't "crazy" in the context of recent stars.

Positions in Baseball can be overated but he is miles above any other 2B and his batting numbers justify the contract.

3rd largest ever behind pujols and arod? for a guy who will be 41 when the contract expires? Ok. At least Werth plays in the outfield, at the end of the contract when he's a liability they can leave him out there without screwing things up too bad. Cano at DH from 2018 - 2024 is future mortgaging.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Gregs Kite » 09 Dec 2013, 13:54

It's baseball, no one cares about mortgaging the future. They need to put asses in seats and improve their brand. It's not like they're gonna go poor because of this. Signing Cano show other preeners players that Seattle is serious about winning dishing out obscene contracts, making it a desirable spot for people to sign.
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby SouthernYokel » 09 Dec 2013, 15:33

By mid-day Friday, Seattle had heard that some team bid nine years and $225 million for Robinson Cano, so the Mariners upped their bid to $240 million and 10 years before apparently realizing the initial bid had come from themselves, too.

lolcatz. definitely a good free agent signing.

http://deadspin.com/the-mariners-may-ha ... 1479755692
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby TVF wannabe » 09 Dec 2013, 15:37

SouthernYokel wrote:
By mid-day Friday, Seattle had heard that some team bid nine years and $225 million for Robinson Cano, so the Mariners upped their bid to $240 million and 10 years before apparently realizing the initial bid had come from themselves, too.

lolcatz. definitely a good free agent signing.

http://deadspin.com/the-mariners-may-ha ... 1479755692

that from the shit you can't make up files.
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

Postby someguysomewhere » 12 Dec 2013, 20:08

Still hate the Cano deal, but Hart and Morrison are good pick-ups. Carter Capps, the reliever they gave up for Morrison, as a 100 mph heater, but he's really ineffective for some reason. I'd sooner have given him up than any of the potential starters in the system.
the very best of _:

Mar 15

Apr 25
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

PreviousNext

Return to MLB