Random Thoughts: The MLB Edition

Re: Random Thoughts: The MLB Edition

Postby bosux » 04 Oct 2017, 14:32

TVF wannabe wrote:
bosux wrote:the korean league setup is kind of interesting, the second wildcard has to win 2 games to advance...i could get down with that

I actually really dont like it. it makes it almost impossible for the second wild card and defeats the purpose. If you dont win your division you don't get rewarded.

it is, as the french say, tough noogies
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 28 Nov 2017, 13:46

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm Gregs Kite: You tried. Slap that on your resume.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby Gregs Kite » 28 Nov 2017, 14:18

MisterTambourineMan wrote:The Ohtani Questionnaire for MLB teams

Fucking millenials.

For meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, I really need to know about your resources, for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Sack the fuck up. Cash your MLB check and buy an interpreter.
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

mister braycon - Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:00 pm: i need a man on the inside. do it shammy!

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 28 Nov 2017, 15:01

Because Ohtani is just 23 years old, he is subject to the limitations of the international signing bonus pool. Under the collective bargaining agreement signed last offseason, only players 25 or older and with six years of experience are considered foreign professionals exempt from bonus pool restrictions.

So instead of a nine-figure contract that Ohtani would surely receive on a true open market, he won’t even sign a major league deal in December. Ohtani will get a signing bonus, with teams having anywhere from $10,000 to just over $3.5 million to spend on a single player.

On a grand scale, the difference between both ends of the bonus spectrum is relatively negligible. In the long term, Ohtani will get paid, eventually. His initial bonus will likely be the least important determinant of where Ohtani will sign.

His desire to play in Major League Baseball is clear, and getting the chance to both pitch and hit — something truly rare in MLB — plus the ability to play where he is most comfortable will be the selling points for teams when negotiating with Ohtani.

That makes this almost like a college recruitment and makes Ohtani one of the most unique free agents in baseball history.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby Gregs Kite » 28 Nov 2017, 15:03

Oh, my sincere apologies. I had no idea he was coming over for $27k a year.

You really showed me.

mister braycon - Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:00 pm: i need a man on the inside. do it shammy!

Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby SouthernYokel » 28 Nov 2017, 15:03

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
Because Ohtani is just 23 years old, he is subject to the limitations of the international signing bonus pool. Under the collective bargaining agreement signed last offseason, only players 25 or older and with six years of experience are considered foreign professionals exempt from bonus pool restrictions.

So instead of a nine-figure contract that Ohtani would surely receive on a true open market, he won’t even sign a major league deal in December. Ohtani will get a signing bonus, with teams having anywhere from $10,000 to just over $3.5 million to spend on a single player.

On a grand scale, the difference between both ends of the bonus spectrum is relatively negligible. In the long term, Ohtani will get paid, eventually. His initial bonus will likely be the least important determinant of where Ohtani will sign.

His desire to play in Major League Baseball is clear, and getting the chance to both pitch and hit — something truly rare in MLB — plus the ability to play where he is most comfortable will be the selling points for teams when negotiating with Ohtani.

That makes this almost like a college recruitment and makes Ohtani one of the most unique free agents in baseball history.

Ohtani boy the pipes the pipes are playing
BostonSucksMyBalls - Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:12 pm: I hope Jax wins next week. If the eagles lose to New England, I’m killing myself on Facebook Live
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby TheWolf » 28 Nov 2017, 15:08

Gregs Kite wrote:Oh, my sincere apologies. I had no idea he was coming over for $27k a year.

You really showed me.

That's pretty serious money. You know you'd move to another country for that kind of cash.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Gregs Kite » 28 Nov 2017, 15:11

TheWolf wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:Oh, my sincere apologies. I had no idea he was coming over for $27k a year.

You really showed me.

That's pretty serious money. You know you'd move to another country for that kind of cash.

So long as I am in a place that is most comfortable for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 22 Dec 2017, 22:01

Yu Darvish should change his name to Du Yarvish.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 08 Jan 2018, 09:10

It's weird no big names have signed yet. I get most teams are hoarding their cash for next year's class, but still.

I think Martinez eventually signs with the Sawx. And the Twins actually appear to be in the running for Du, but they're probably just a stalking horse. #coolpostsco
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby mj3528 » 08 Jan 2018, 10:18

MisterTambourineMan wrote:It's weird no big names have signed yet. I get most teams are hoarding their cash for next year's class, but still.

I think Martinez eventually signs with the Sawx. And the Twins actually appear to be in the running for Du, but they're probably just a stalking horse. #coolpostsco

I read somewhere that the analytics guys have realized that successful teams have a lot of contributions from their young players, and playing guys a ton of money when they are 37 based on past performance is not a good idea.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby TheWolf » 08 Jan 2018, 10:21

mj3528 wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:It's weird no big names have signed yet. I get most teams are hoarding their cash for next year's class, but still.

I read somewhere that the analytics guys have realized that successful teams have a lot of contributions from their young players, and playing guys a ton of money when they are 37 based on past performance is not a good idea.

Is paying analytics guys a ton of money to figure out that 37 year olds aren't worth $20M a good idea?
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby mj3528 » 08 Jan 2018, 10:28

TheWolf wrote:
mj3528 wrote:

Is paying analytics guys a ton of money to figure out that 37 year olds aren't worth $20M a good idea?

Beats me, but teams have been doing it for years, so I guess if that is what it takes, sounds worth it.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby TVF wannabe » Yesterday, 12:09

Apparently MLB is limiting any kind of non pitching change mound visit to a total of 6.
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

Postby chrisco » Yesterday, 13:35

TVF wannabe wrote:Apparently MLB is limiting any kind of non pitching change mound visit to a total of 6.

As long as the entire infield can still join in the visit...
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

PreviousNext

Return to MLB