Random Thoughts: The MLB Edition

Re: Random Thoughts: The MLB Edition

Postby TheWolf » 18 Apr 2017, 08:58

SouthernYokel wrote:
Prez wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:PITCH CLOCK. How long does one need to readjust his dick and spit a couple times? no more than 30 seconds right? move it along brother.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.... with the caveat that the batter needs a clock too. How long does it take to get a sign, tighten your batting gloves, adjust your nutty buddy, get some pine tar etc etc etc. Pitcher violation: BALL. Batter violation: STRIKE. problem solved.

yeah exactly. i'm not sure why they haven't done this in the minors already.

Yeah, this is definitely the biggest time-saving opportunity. You could almost literally cut the time of a game in half.

Except no one is willing to do it, because significantly shorter games means less concession revenue for the teams and less ad revenue for the networks.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby SouthernYokel » 18 Apr 2017, 09:01

TheWolf wrote:Except no one is willing to do it, because significantly shorter games means less concession revenue for the teams and less ad revenue for the networks.

concessions, that's possible. Just charge me $15 instead of $13 per beer i guess. on ad revenue though...if they don't fix the pace of the game they're not going to have any eyeballs on the TV anyway and it won't matter how many commercial breaks there are. Also, i don't think a pitch clock would affect the number of commercial breaks.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby TheWolf » 18 Apr 2017, 09:06

SouthernYokel wrote:
TheWolf wrote:Except no one is willing to do it, because significantly shorter games means less concession revenue for the teams and less ad revenue for the networks.

concessions, that's possible. Just charge me $15 instead of $13 per beer i guess. on ad revenue though...if they don't fix the pace of the game they're not going to have any eyeballs on the TV anyway and it won't matter how many commercial breaks there are. Also, i don't think a pitch clock would affect the number of commercial breaks.

That's a good point on the advertising. There's still only commercials between innings and for pitcher changes. They'd just have the same number of breaks in a shorter time period, which ultimately ends up as a win for the TV guys, I think.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby mj3528 » 18 Apr 2017, 09:39

SouthernYokel wrote:
Prez wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:PITCH CLOCK. How long does one need to readjust his dick and spit a couple times? no more than 30 seconds right? move it along brother.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.... with the caveat that the batter needs a clock too. How long does it take to get a sign, tighten your batting gloves, adjust your nutty buddy, get some pine tar etc etc etc. Pitcher violation: BALL. Batter violation: STRIKE. problem solved.

yeah exactly. i'm not sure why they haven't done this in the minors already.

I think they have done it in AAA. I think I read a story where the International League was doing this.

even 30 seconds is a ton. have jike find and post an old baseball game to the watch, from like the 70s. Pitch, throw back to the pitcher, almost immediately pitch. It is amazing how much quicker that process was and it wasn't even that long ago.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby the cheese » 18 Apr 2017, 09:40

Briandong79 wrote:
bosux wrote:i don't like it...it saves 30 seconds per game, maybe?

not only can something happen when issuing the walk, it often seems to throw a pitcher out of wack...i have nothing to back this up, but i feel like innings almost literally always fall apart after intentional walks

It's kind of like cutting PBS funding. Sure, it saves a tiny bit of money but it's barely a blip in the radar in the overall problem. I don't have a problem with the rule necessarily, but it's not going to fix anything so what's the point?

Count me on this side of the debate. The time is insignificant, it's part of the game, and you have to do it correctly for it to work. Baseball is baseball, it's not supposed to be fast. If you want a sport that you know is going to be over in 90 minutes watch soccer.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby Frank the Tank » 19 Apr 2017, 14:52

I think they're doing the pitch clock in the Eastern League (AA) now. There's one near each dugout. Starts at 20 seconds once the pitcher has the ball I think.

I would also like to see catcher visits limited like manager visits. Maybe once per inning per pitcher.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 19 Apr 2017, 15:04

Frank the Tank wrote:I think they're doing the pitch clock in the Eastern League (AA) now. There's one near each dugout. Starts at 20 seconds once the pitcher has the ball I think.

I would also like to see catcher visits limited like manager visits. Maybe once per inning per pitcher.

And maybe change it to 1 out per inning. Or 0. Really get the games over with because obviously no one enjoys watching the sport. At all.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Previous

Return to MLB