Random Thoughts: The MLB Edition

Random Thoughts: The MLB Edition

Postby DirtDawg » 09 Apr 2007, 10:06

With a new baseball season upon us, I thought this would be appropros. So without further ado...

The Orioles have sucked, currently suck, and will continue to suck under current management.

The pitching is awful, the defense is woeful, and when they sign washed up has beens people like Kevin "Cowboy Up" Millah, Sammy Sooser, and Javy Lopez for them, it shows how clueless those crab-loving fuckers are.
DirtDawg
Never Forgotten

Re: Random Thoughts: The MLB Edition

Postby Theny » 09 Apr 2007, 10:08

DirtDawg wrote:With a new baseball season upon us, I thought this would be appropros. So without further ado...

The Orioles have sucked, currently suck, and will continue to suck under current management.

The pitching is awful, the defense is woeful, and when they sign washed up has beens people like Kevin "Cowboy Up" Millah, Sammy Sooser, and Javy Lopez for them, it shows how clueless those crab-loving fuckers are.

Have fun with Eric Bedard Leo!!!!!111

fuckin prick...
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby sportsdorkhater » 09 Apr 2007, 10:09

wouldnt the 2007 MLB Season thread be the appropriate place for this?
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn

Postby Frank the Tank » 09 Apr 2007, 10:27

sportsdorkhater wrote:wouldnt the 2007 MLB Season thread be the appropriate place for this?

Good post. I agree.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 19 Aug 2008, 13:06

I may have posted this before, so if I am curt, then I apologize.

Can someone please address this? Why in the heck does it count as an out if a fielder catches the ball and flips over the fence into the crowd? I think its even an out if the dork lands in the crowd in home run territory. Thats bogus. You should have to land in play (including foul ground, obviously) for it to be an out. If you land in the crowd, its a foul or a home run. I was watching some greatest catch countdown on Best Damn Countdown the other day and there were a ton of catches like this. Rinky Dink sport strikes agane.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Frank the Tank » 19 Aug 2008, 13:07

I'm guessing it's because it makes for good highlights when players flip into the stands.

On a side note, I always thought that when the pitcher is the one making the error the runs should still be earned.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby TheWolf » 19 Aug 2008, 13:18

I only half agree with Balls on this one. If the guy is standing in play when he catches it, but then falls over the wall, I have no problem giving him credit (like a football player toeing the sideline but then falling out of bounds). But if it's a jumping catch or something, he should have to at least get a foot back down in the field of play for it to count.

And I completely agree with Frank about the earned run thing.

And for a random thought of my own...I think "defensive indifference" is bullshit. If you take an extra base on a pitch, and the catcher actually catches the ball, it should be a stolen base.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 19 Aug 2008, 13:22

Actually that is what i meant, I just didnt word it right. If you catch the ball with your feet in and then flip over the fence, like Jeter did that time he busted his face...thats an out. But if you are in the air when you catch it, and then land in the stands, not an out.

And I agree with you guys on the ER and the stolen base thing.

Dumb sport.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby JichaelDick » 19 Aug 2008, 23:35

Frank the Tank wrote:I'm guessing it's because it makes for good highlights when players flip into the stands.

On a side note, I always thought that when the pitcher is the one making the error the runs should still be earned.

I'm almost positive the runs that occur if a pitcher makes the error are considered unearned, but earned for the pitcher.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby someguysomewhere » 19 Aug 2008, 23:36

JichaelDick wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:I'm guessing it's because it makes for good highlights when players flip into the stands.

I'm almost positive the runs that occur if a pitcher makes the error are considered unearned, but earned for the pitcher.

I'm almost positive that sentence makes no sense to me.
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby JichaelDick » 19 Aug 2008, 23:49

someguysomewhere wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:

I'm almost positive that sentence makes no sense to me.

OK, let me take this back...if a pitcher makes an error and the runner ends up scoring, the run itself is unearned. However, it counts against the pitcher's ERA.

ETA: Damn, I was wrong on that...the rule that specifically talks about runs and earned runs states...

(e) An error by a pitcher is treated exactly the same as an error by any other fielder in computing earned runs.

The thing is, a wild pitch (something that could be construed as an "error" by the pitcher) that leads to a run makes the run earned.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby TheWolf » 20 Aug 2008, 15:14

Since we're on the subject now...why don't wild pitches and passed balls count as errors? I've always thought they should.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 20 Aug 2008, 15:44

TheWolf wrote:Since we're on the subject now...why don't wild pitches and passed balls count as errors? I've always thought they should.

i thought passed balls do count as errors?
Gregs Kite - Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm: I hate DJ and his stupid face and hes so stupid and I want to punch him
Dr Jeckyll
The Bomb Dick

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 20 Aug 2008, 21:03

TheWolf wrote:Since we're on the subject now...why don't wild pitches and passed balls count as errors? I've always thought they should.

i believe wild pitches don't count because the point of errors is to determine if a run is earned or not, which is probably why balks don't count as errors either
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby someguysomewhere » 20 Aug 2008, 23:41

I think the logic here would be that an error by a pitcher relates to his fielding, whereas a passed ball or a balk relates to his pitching.
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Next

Return to MLB