The OFFICIAL AL and NL Awards Thread

The OFFICIAL AL and NL Awards Thread

Postby JichaelDick » 12 Sep 2006, 10:13

Here's the thread to post your MVPs, whether it be Dye, Jeter, Morneau, or Frank Thomas in the AL ;) , and Howard, Pujols, Cabrera in the NL. Also, the Cy Young Award winner should be put here, whether you think it's Santana in the AL or Carpenter, Webb, Zambrano even, in the NL.

For me, the awards are:

AL MVP: Jermaine Dye
NL MVP: Albert Pujols, with Ryan Howard a VERY close second
AL Cy Young: Johan Motherfucking Santana
NL Cy Young: Chris Carpenter
Last edited by JichaelDick on 12 Sep 2006, 11:09, edited 2 times in total.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby MoreCowbell » 12 Sep 2006, 10:17

JD, I am now calling you Dan Shanoff for just now bringing up Frank Thomas :D

PS, what gives Pujols the edge over Howard? I'm curious.
MoreCowbell
The Bomb Dick

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 12 Sep 2006, 10:17

How can you have Pujols ahead of Howard? I dont get it at all.
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby JichaelDick » 12 Sep 2006, 10:18

MoreCowbell wrote:JD, I am now calling you Dan Shanoff for just now bringing up Frank Thomas :D

PS, what gives Pujols the edge over Howard? I'm curious.

FWIW, unless Thomas pulls a Vlad in 2004 and single-handedly carries the A's to a division title (which shouldn't have to happen, seeing as how they have a 5.5 game lead in the division), he doesn't get the MVP.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:How can you have Pujols ahead of Howard? I dont get it at all.

Pujols has a slightly higher OPS, and plays a better first base than Howard. Although, it is September 12, and there is time for Howard to do his thing. These are my choices as of now, so there is always the possibility Howard could go absolutely apeshit in the next few days and take the MVP from Pujols.
Last edited by JichaelDick on 12 Sep 2006, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby jack_daniels » 12 Sep 2006, 10:20

AL Cy Young goes to Halladay. He only lost his past few starts because the Jays can't protect a lead for him.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby JichaelDick » 12 Sep 2006, 10:24

jack_daniels wrote:AL Cy Young goes to Halladay. He only lost his past few starts because the Jays can't protect a lead for him.

Wins are a team-based stat, and Halladay has had some atrocious luck as far as bullpen woes, but Santana leads the AL in K's, ERA, WHIP, hits allowed, etc...
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby MoreCowbell » 12 Sep 2006, 10:26

JichaelDick wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:How can you have Pujols ahead of Howard? I dont get it at all.

Pujols has a slightly higher OPS, and plays a better first base than Howard. Although, it is September 12, and there is time for Howard to do his thing. These are my choices as of now, so there is always the possibility Howard could go absolutely apeshit in the next few days and take the MVP from Pujols.

So, giving the edge based on one stat? That's cool I guess.
MoreCowbell
The Bomb Dick

Postby Briandong79 » 12 Sep 2006, 10:27

Santana should be a virtual lock at this point for the AL Cy Young.

The NL should abstain from giving out a Cy Young this year. No one deserves it.

So despite your claims of a team's success shouldn't have anything to do with postseason awards, the only way that Frank Thomas can possibly win the award is that if he leads his team to the postseason?
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 12 Sep 2006, 10:28

JichaelDick wrote:

I know that OPS is something to do with slugging, but fuck that. Who even knows how to calculate slugging. If Howard ends up batting .310 63 155 and doesnt win MVP, then I just dont know what to do. Pujols doesnt have the #s, and has the Cy Young winner(according to you) on his team!
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby JichaelDick » 12 Sep 2006, 10:29

Pujols also has a slightly higher VORP, and a higher WARP. Now, as I said, it's way early, and Howard has plenty of time to get the MVP.

ETA: Slugging percentage is calculating the total bases and dividing by number of at-bats. Howard has a higher SLG, but Pujols has a higher OBP. It's still really fucking close, and if Howard ends up with 63 HR and 155 RBI, then it's his for the taking.
Last edited by JichaelDick on 12 Sep 2006, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby MoreCowbell » 12 Sep 2006, 10:29

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:

I know that OPS is something to do with slugging, but fuck that. Who even knows how to calculate slugging. If Howard ends up batting .310 63 155 and doesnt win MVP, then I just dont know what to do. Pujols doesnt have the #s, and has the Cy Young winner(according to you) on his team!

The funny thing is, Howard has a higher slugging percentage. The only reason for the OPS difference is because he strikes out a lot. Pretty common in sluggers. And yet he is still hitting .316, go figure.

ETA: Did you see John Marzano's pledge that if Howard doesnt win the MVP, hes going to quit watching baseball? I love that guy.
MoreCowbell
The Bomb Dick

Postby JichaelDick » 12 Sep 2006, 10:33

FWIW, if Howard continues to get the Bonds treatment and get walked 4 times a game, he'll probably end up with a higher OBP than Pujols.
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 12 Sep 2006, 10:36

MoreCowbell wrote:ETA: Did you see John Marzano's pledge that if Howard doesnt win the MVP, hes going to quit watching baseball? I love that guy.

Did he? thats great. He is good. He is one of the few Philly broadcasters that have a clue.

I think Howard may win in a landslide, the more I think about it. People are over Pujols' act.
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby JichaelDick » 12 Sep 2006, 10:37

If he ends up with 63/155, he'll get it unanimously, IMO.
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby sportsdorkhater » 12 Sep 2006, 10:38

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:
MoreCowbell wrote:ETA: Did you see John Marzano's pledge that if Howard doesnt win the MVP, hes going to quit watching baseball? I love that guy.

Did he? thats great. He is good. He is one of the few Philly broadcasters that have a clue.

I think Howard may win in a landslide, the more I think about it. People are over Pujols' act.

John Marzano? as in former Red Sox catcher?
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn

Next

Return to MLB