2006 MLB All-Star Game (and Voting)

Re: 2006 MLB All-Star Game (and Voting)

Postby mj3528 » 31 Jan 2018, 23:47

SouthernYokel wrote:
TheWolf wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:
chrisco wrote:Ass for someone...based on this #s shout:

mj3528 - Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:36 pm: good closer for the late 80s Indians. often the lone all-star representative for the Tribe

Please assemble an all time lone all-star representative team. To qualify, the player must be someone who only made the team because that team sucked but rules required they get one guy on the roster.

So for example, Doug Jones is in, but Ken Griffey is out.

Dale Murphy, GOAT lone rep

Can we clarify this question? Are you looking for players who only made the team once, and that lone appearance was because they had to pick someone from every team? Or could it be someone like Murphy who had multiple ASG appearances, but one year he was only picked because his team licked balls and he wouldn't have made it otherwise?

Based on your example, I think it's the latter. And that makes me way less interested in this assignment because it sounds harder to research.

Dale Murphy had like 8 years where he played great and was fully deserving of an all star appearance and also the braves were garbage. He's the captain of this team.

Why do you hate bob Horner?
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby Dthefritz » 01 Feb 2018, 00:01

SouthernYokel wrote:
TheWolf wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:
chrisco wrote:Ass for someone...based on this #s shout:

mj3528 - Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:36 pm: good closer for the late 80s Indians. often the lone all-star representative for the Tribe

Please assemble an all time lone all-star representative team. To qualify, the player must be someone who only made the team because that team sucked but rules required they get one guy on the roster.

So for example, Doug Jones is in, but Ken Griffey is out.

Dale Murphy, GOAT lone rep

Can we clarify this question? Are you looking for players who only made the team once, and that lone appearance was because they had to pick someone from every team? Or could it be someone like Murphy who had multiple ASG appearances, but one year he was only picked because his team licked balls and he wouldn't have made it otherwise?

Based on your example, I think it's the latter. And that makes me way less interested in this assignment because it sounds harder to research.

Dale Murphy had like 8 years where he played great and was fully deserving of an all star appearance and also the braves were garbage. He's the captain of this team.

Whose turn is it to do the "Dale Murphy was every bit as good as Jim Rice, why isn't he also in the HoF" rant? I'd do it, but I'm at capacity for the first quarter.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby TheWolf » 01 Feb 2018, 00:03

Double post. Suck it.

I don't care to do the research on guys who in any given year were the lone representative from their team, but I'm bored so I'll take a stab at the best lineup of guys who only made one All Star Team. I'm excluding active players who have only been to one so far, because they may get to more and therefore be ineligible. I'm going with a full defensive lineup, one starting pitcher, and one reliever, no DH. I also picked one at each OF position instead of just 3 outfielders, because the list I looked at actually specified which position they played so why not.

This is based solely on my personal memory/opinion of the players. Zero statistics related to overall career performance or relative greatness of their one All Star season were considered in this analysis. It's a very scientific study. If you don't like it, go fuck yourself.

Man, this is a fucking who's who of mediocre baseball players. A lot of guys I thought were pretty good when I was like 12, but they probably all sucked for most of their careers. I had fun perusing the list and picking my favorite at each position. The pitchers seem to be a deeper pool than position players. My favorite random thing from the list... There are 2 guys named Joe Coleman, and they're both from the greater Boston area. OF COURSE. Speaking of Boston, I had a really hard time avoiding homer picks such as Jerry Remy (who I never actually saw play), Tim Wakefield, and Keith Foulke.

1B:Wally Joyner
2B: Mariano Duncan
3B: Scott Brosius
SS: Walt Weiss
C: B.J. Surhoff
LF: Raul Ibanez
CF: Bo Jackson
RF: Jay Buhner
SP: Shit, I said I was only gonna pick 1 but there are at least 10 dudes who I think were kind of OK. Let me throw together a quick rotation here, 5 guys that I seem to recall thinking should have gotten more than one All Star nod, in alphabetical order... Steve Avery, Dongville's own Mike Boddicker, Doug Drabek, Jose Rijo, Dave Stewart. It almost caused my physical pain to delete Wakefield's name from this list. He was probably actually better that at least one of these guys.
RP: Mitch "Wild Thing" Williams was awesome. But I can't risk getting banned... It's Kent Tekulve.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Dthefritz » 01 Feb 2018, 00:13

TheWolf wrote:Double post. Suck it.

I don't care to do the research on guys who in any given year were the lone representative from their team, but I'm bored so I'll take a stab at the best lineup of guys who only made one All Star Team. I'm excluding active players who have only been to one so far, because they may get to more and therefore be ineligible. I'm going with a full defensive lineup, one starting pitcher, and one reliever, no DH. I also picked one at each OF position instead of just 3 outfielders, because the list I looked at actually specified which position they played so why not.

This is based solely on my personal memory/opinion of the players. Zero statistics related to overall career performance or relative greatness of their one All Star season were considered in this analysis. It's a very scientific study. If you don't like it, go fuck yourself.

Man, this is a fucking who's who of mediocre baseball players. A lot of guys I thought were pretty good when I was like 12, but they probably all sucked for most of their careers. I had fun perusing the list and picking my favorite at each position. The pitchers seem to be a deeper pool than position players. My favorite random thing from the list... There are 2 guys named Joe Coleman, and they're both from the greater Boston area. OF COURSE. Speaking of Boston, I had a really hard time avoiding homer picks such as Jerry Remy (who I never actually saw play), Tim Wakefield, and Keith Foulke.

1B:Wally Joyner
2B: Mariano Duncan
3B: Scott Brosius
SS: Walt Weiss
C: B.J. Surhoff
LF: Raul Ibanez
CF: Bo Jackson
RF: Jay Buhner
SP: Shit, I said I was only gonna pick 1 but there are at least 10 dudes who I think were kind of OK. Let me throw together a quick rotation here, 5 guys that I seem to recall thinking should have gotten more than one All Star nod, in alphabetical order... Steve Avery, Dongville's own Mike Boddicker, Doug Drabek, Jose Rijo, Dave Stewart. It almost caused my physical pain to delete Wakefield's name from this list. He was probably actually better that at least one of these guys.
RP: Mitch "Wild Thing" Williams was awesome. But I can't risk getting banned... It's Kent Tekulve.

Good list, respect the hustle immensely.

Mariano Duncan is my spirit animal.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby TheWolf » 01 Feb 2018, 00:19

Going back to mj's original criteria:

To qualify, the player must be someone who only made the team because that team sucked but rules required they get one guy on the roster.

I think Dale Murphy is ineligible. He played All Star-caliber baseball many times. He may have been the only All Star on his team because the rest of the team sucked, but he was not selected specifically because the team needed a representative; he'd still have made it even without that rule. There are way better examples of what #s is talking about. For example, in 2015 Brock Holt of ARE Red Sox hit .292 with 2 HRs in the first half, and was selected as an All Star outfielder despite being like the 75th best outfielder in the American League. He was on the team solely because there were no other good players on the team and they had to pick someone who had no business being in the game otherwise.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Rodney Farva » 01 Feb 2018, 07:53

In fact that wasn’t a double post, so unfortunately no one gets to suck anything.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby SouthernYokel » 01 Feb 2018, 09:16

TheWolf wrote:Going back to mj's original criteria:

To qualify, the player must be someone who only made the team because that team sucked but rules required they get one guy on the roster.

I think Dale Murphy is ineligible. He played All Star-caliber baseball many times. He may have been the only All Star on his team because the rest of the team sucked, but he was not selected specifically because the team needed a representative; he'd still have made it even without that rule. There are way better examples of what #s is talking about. For example, in 2015 Brock Holt of ARE Red Sox hit .292 with 2 HRs in the first half, and was selected as an All Star outfielder despite being like the 75th best outfielder in the American League. He was on the team solely because there were no other good players on the team and they had to pick someone who had no business being in the game otherwise.

Yeah sorry I missed that the first time and also I have a giant Dale Murphy boner so, shit happened
BostonSucksMyBalls - Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:12 pm: I hope Jax wins next week. If the eagles lose to New England, I’m killing myself on Facebook Live
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Dthefritz » 01 Feb 2018, 09:23

SouthernYokel wrote:

Yeah sorry I missed that the first time and also I have a giant Dale Murphy boner so, shit happened

In light of that, please scroll up in the thread for an assignment. TYIA.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby TheWolf » 01 Feb 2018, 09:47

Rodney Farva wrote:In fact that wasn’t a double post, so unfortunately no one gets to suck anything.

Very sad. I did notice that other posts got posted while i was writing mine, but I did not remove my claim of double posting. I apologize for nothing.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby mj3528 » 01 Feb 2018, 10:19

Dthefritz wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:

Dale Murphy is a mormon and lives out here, so he is on local sports radio semi-frequently. The radio hosts fawn over him.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby SouthernYokel » 01 Feb 2018, 10:21

mj3528 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:

Dale Murphy is a mormon and lives out here, so he is on local sports radio semi-frequently. The radio hosts fawn over him.

I went down a Dale Murphy rabbit hole last night, saw that story about the little triple amputee girl (stepped on a live power line) asking him to hit a hr for her and he was like "uh...well gosh ok." And hit 2. DALE MURPHY EVERYBODY
BostonSucksMyBalls - Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:12 pm: I hope Jax wins next week. If the eagles lose to New England, I’m killing myself on Facebook Live
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby ctz31 » 01 Feb 2018, 10:27

SouthernYokel wrote:
mj3528 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:

I went down a Dale Murphy rabbit hole last night, saw that story about the little triple amputee girl (stepped on a live power line) asking him to hit a hr for her and he was like "uh...well gosh ok." And hit 2. DALE MURPHY EVERYBODY

We will find out in a few weeks he hit the 2nd one for some chick he raped when he was 14.
ctz31
#nnf

Postby TheWolf » 01 Feb 2018, 10:28

ctz31 wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:
mj3528 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:

We will find out in a few weeks he hit the 2nd one for some chick he raped when he was 14.

I enjoyed this post.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby SouthernYokel » 01 Feb 2018, 10:32

ctz31 wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:
mj3528 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:

Zo.gif
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby TVF wannabe » 01 Feb 2018, 10:34

SouthernYokel wrote:

Right so Dale Murphy doesnt qualify but Kurt Stilwell would.
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

PreviousNext

Return to MLB