2006 MLB All-Star Game (and Voting)

Postby Colonel Angus » 10 Jul 2006, 22:30

Was it just me or did Pierzynski let the cat out of the bag that they were using juiced balls for the Derby?

Also, David Wright seemed to have the filthiest mouth in the competition, as the audio kept going silent during his at-bats.

You're with me, Leather.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
User avatar
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC
 
Posts: 18626
Joined: 11 Aug 2005, 15:09

Postby Scoring Machine » 11 Jul 2006, 01:20

I honestly thought that it was common knowledge that they used juiced up balls in the competition. If you can hit a batting practice fastball 480, you'd hit a regular one WELL over 500 ft given the added veloctiy that it hits the bat with.
2005 SOTSG Fantasy Baseball Champion
05-06 SOTSG Fantasy Hoops Champion
2006 SOTSG Fantasy Golf Champion

Q. How do they practice safe sex at Oregon State?
A. By placing a warning sign on the animals that kick
User avatar
Scoring Machine
Etiquette Instructor
 
Posts: 1576
Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 13:58
Location: Playing Intermurals

Postby MoreCowbell » 11 Jul 2006, 07:48

Briandean79 wrote:
sportsdorkhater wrote:is there anyone besides me that actually likes that the leagues are different?


I never really gave a shit one way or the other. I wouldn't say I liked it, but it certainly never bothered me.


Yeah, it just annoys me. It seems so silly, its the same sport, but two leagues have different rules? It'd be like the Western Conference in the NBA not having a 3 point line, or the NFC making the Quarterback kick field goals... it's the same league, play by the same rules. Seems pretty simple to me.
User avatar
MoreCowbell
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 5479
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 09:01

Postby SouthernYokel » 11 Jul 2006, 08:34

PhillyJim76 wrote:
Montecore's Revenge wrote:My biggest problem with the Home Run Derby is the fact that it takes three hours to crown a champion from a field of eight guys.


i actually am pissed because i was looking forward to the celebrity softball game.


It was pretty worthless. I watched it last night after the derby. Biggest stars? Kimmel and Silverman, close second by Dean Cain. In a distant 4th, Danny Masterson from the 70's show. And finally....Jimmy's cousin Sal. Wow that was worth staying up for. Honestly, the best part was Harold Reynolds and John Kruk talking shit to each other about who's team would win.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
User avatar
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle
 
Posts: 29808
Joined: 08 Sep 2005, 08:09

Postby MoreCowbell » 12 Jul 2006, 07:07

I would really like to rip Tim McCarver's tongue out and shove it up his ass. Dick.

Manny's torn meniscus

I won?t be seeing Manny Ramirez in Pittsburgh. The top vote getter is taking a disproportionate amount of heat for missing the game, even getting openly questioned on yesterday?s Fox telecast. Tim McCarver said the worst thing about his knee injury was ?remembering which leg to limp with.? It?s easy to say that Ramirez is faking an injury, but almost as easy to actually check on the injury. Ramirez is suffering from a small tear in the medial meniscus of his right knee. It?s an injury he can play with, but one that can ?grind,? a bone-on-bone situation that is unpredictable and painful. The decision was made a while ago by the Red Sox to keep Manny on the field as much as possible. One possible solution that?s been mentioned is using Ramirez at DH more often, moving Kevin Youkilis to LF and David Ortiz to 1B. There?s some defensive penalty to be paid, but it keeps the best bats in the lineup.




Could the Manny bashing be race related? It just seems like if this were Trot Nixon or someone, people would just be talking about what a gamer he is for having played through the pain, and how loyal he is to the team for not risking it and playing in an exhibition. Just pisses me off to no end.
User avatar
MoreCowbell
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 5479
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 09:01

Postby kaskomm09 » 12 Jul 2006, 07:15

MoreCowbell wrote:Could the Manny bashing be race related? It just seems like if this were Trot Nixon or someone, people would just be talking about what a gamer he is for having played through the pain, and how loyal he is to the team for not risking it and playing in an exhibition. Just pisses me off to no end.


Race related or something to do with the fact that he's done this like 3 of the past 8 years. One of those two I'm sure.

Untangle your panties, Tiff, and calm down. Christ. And if Trot was in an ASG, I'm sure people would be calling for him to be scratched for that a "worthy snub" could rightfully take his roster spot.
2007 SOTSG College Pick'em Champion
User avatar
kaskomm09
Smartest Guy In The Room
 
Posts: 3534
Joined: 24 Jul 2005, 19:54
Location: Champion of the Sun

Postby Theny » 12 Jul 2006, 07:18

MoreCowbell wrote:Could the Manny bashing be race related?


No, everyone just hates the Red Sox. :D

Honestly, any Manny bashing is Manny-related. He's one of those athletes that just doesn't seem to be down to earth whatsoever (ala Artest and Ricky Williams), and I think that bugs the hell out of the MAWG's (the ones that aren't RS fans of course).
User avatar
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy
 
Posts: 30547
Joined: 10 Jun 2005, 10:55

Postby MoreCowbell » 12 Jul 2006, 07:26

kaskomm09 wrote:
MoreCowbell wrote:Could the Manny bashing be race related? It just seems like if this were Trot Nixon or someone, people would just be talking about what a gamer he is for having played through the pain, and how loyal he is to the team for not risking it and playing in an exhibition. Just pisses me off to no end.


Race related or something to do with the fact that he's done this like 3 of the past 8 years. One of those two I'm sure.

Untangle your panties, Tiff, and calm down. Christ. And if Trot was in an ASG, I'm sure people would be calling for him to be scratched for that a "worthy snub" could rightfully take his roster spot.


It was an example, how about you untangle your panties? But you're probably right, the team probably could've used a 10th White Sox player. Hey, how about you check out Trot's stats this year?
They aren't horrible.

I dont get the big deal. He's been in the league 13 years, been an all star for 11 years... so he skips twice, and now he's labeled? Just assuming that he's not injured this year without doing any research is just so childish.
User avatar
MoreCowbell
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 5479
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 09:01

Postby kaskomm09 » 12 Jul 2006, 07:31

MoreCowbell wrote:
kaskomm09 wrote:
MoreCowbell wrote:Could the Manny bashing be race related? It just seems like if this were Trot Nixon or someone, people would just be talking about what a gamer he is for having played through the pain, and how loyal he is to the team for not risking it and playing in an exhibition. Just pisses me off to no end.


Race related or something to do with the fact that he's done this like 3 of the past 8 years. One of those two I'm sure.

Untangle your panties, Tiff, and calm down. Christ. And if Trot was in an ASG, I'm sure people would be calling for him to be scratched for that a "worthy snub" could rightfully take his roster spot.


It was an example, how about you untangle your panties? But you're probably right, the team probably could've used a 10th White Sox player. Hey, how about you check out Trot's stats this year?
They aren't horrible.

I dont get the big deal. He's been in the league 13 years, been an all star for 11 years... so he skips twice, and now he's labeled? Just assuming that he's not injured this year without doing any research is just so childish.


Your point being? The White Sox have the second best record in all of baseball, won the WS ast year and were thus well represented. And if I remember correctly, I believe all of only 3 White Sox appeared in the game last night.

Thanks for making me go to baseballreference.com this morning so I could see that All-Star worthy .275/13/67 line Trot put up in 2005! Look, I'm not saying he's a bad player, I actually like him a lot as a ballplayer, I'm just saying his stats are never all-star worthy.
2007 SOTSG College Pick'em Champion
User avatar
kaskomm09
Smartest Guy In The Room
 
Posts: 3534
Joined: 24 Jul 2005, 19:54
Location: Champion of the Sun

Postby Theny » 12 Jul 2006, 07:33

kaskomm09 wrote:Thanks for making me go to baseballreference.com this morning so I could see that All-Star worthy .275/13/67 line Trot put up in 2005! Look, I'm not saying he's a bad player, I actually like him a lot as a ballplayer, I'm just saying his stats are never all-star worthy.


I'm actually surprised he didn't make the All Star team, those stats are better than Varitek's, aren't they? :D
User avatar
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy
 
Posts: 30547
Joined: 10 Jun 2005, 10:55

Postby sportsdorkhater » 12 Jul 2006, 07:34

they use 2005 stats for the 2006 all-star game?
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn
 
Posts: 6514
Joined: 22 Feb 2005, 18:25

Postby MoreCowbell » 12 Jul 2006, 07:35

Ok..... I am NOT saying Trot should be an All Star!! I'll try this again. What if Thome decided not to go to the game, because of a nagging injury that we didnt know about? Don't you think he'd get the benefit of the doubt when his team says he is missing the game due to an injury. Do you think any national broadcaster would outright ACCUSE him of faking it? It's ridiculous.


ETA: Yeah sdh is right... Trot's hitting .311 bud. And if they used 2005 stats to determine All Star status, Thome DEFINITELY shouldnt be on the team :)
User avatar
MoreCowbell
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 5479
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 09:01

Postby Theny » 12 Jul 2006, 07:37

MoreCowbell wrote:Ok..... I am NOT saying Trot should be an All Star!! I'll try this again. What if Thome decided not to go to the game, because of a nagging injury that we didnt know about? Don't you think he'd get the benefit of the doubt when his team says he is missing the game due to an injury. Do you think any national broadcaster would outright ACCUSE him of faking it? It's ridiculous.


Thome's a more personable guy than Manny though, it's as simple as that. Why do you think everyone hates Barry Bonds?
User avatar
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy
 
Posts: 30547
Joined: 10 Jun 2005, 10:55

Postby Colonel Angus » 12 Jul 2006, 07:40

That was just McCarver being McCarver...
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
User avatar
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC
 
Posts: 18626
Joined: 11 Aug 2005, 15:09

Postby Theny » 12 Jul 2006, 07:41

Colonel Angus wrote:That was just McCarver being McCarver...


Nice one! :lol:
User avatar
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy
 
Posts: 30547
Joined: 10 Jun 2005, 10:55

PreviousNext

Return to MLB

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest