2006 MLB All-Star Game (and Voting)

2006 MLB All-Star Game (and Voting)

Postby kaskomm09 » 23 Jun 2006, 15:02

I'm bored so I figure now is as good a time as any to start bitching about the All-Star game voting. The AL is absolutely ridiculous, with 7 of the 8 positions being occupied by Yankees or Red Sox right now. However, this could turn into an anti-White Sox thread real fast when Ozzie selects his entire roster as backups and calls anyone who questions him a fag.

My votes for the AL, position by position:

C - The vote of Varitek is the biggest sham among voters, IMO. He's killing my fantasy team so I know how crappy he's been. That said, the worst part of it all is I can't see them taking 3 catchers, meaning either Joe Mauer or Ramon Hernandez are gonna get robbed (among others). My pick: Mauer, in a landslide.

1B - Close ballot, with many solid candidates including Pronk, Papi, Konerko, Thome, Youk, Giambi. My pick: Hafner, for both this year and as a reward for his second-half last season.

2B - Relatively weak field of characters here. I'd almost guarantee Grudzielanek takes home the backup spot seeing as how the Royals have to be represented and he's having a pretty solid year. But Ozzie loves his boy Iguchi, so you never know. Pick: Jose Lopez. The RBI count is impressive in a weak field.

SS - Seemingly a 2 horse race (Jeter and Tejada) but people fail to realize Michael Young has virtually the same numbers as Jeter. My pick: Tejada, the power numbers are there.

3B - I'm just assuming A-Rod is taking this in a landslide, even though his numbers aren't where they should be at 25 mil a year. Troy Glaus deserves some serious consideration, however, as does my boy Crede. My pick: Crede. If he doesn't win a gold glove this year, it's a shame. The power and the average are there too and he's known as the most "clutch" White Sox.

OF - Easily the most debatable category because there are so many fine options out here and everyone seems to do something different than the next guy. My picks: I'll take Ichiro, Vernon Well and Jermaine Dye (highest OPS in the league, thank you) with huge apologies to Alex Rios, Magglio Ordonez, Grady Sizemore, Vladdy and Nick Swisher.
2007 SOTSG College Pick'em Champion
User avatar
kaskomm09
Smartest Guy In The Room
 
Posts: 3534
Joined: 24 Jul 2005, 19:54
Location: Champion of the Sun

Postby Theny » 23 Jun 2006, 15:08

My votes for the NL:

C-Mike Lieberthal. I seriously voted for him on the ballot.
1B- Delgado.
2B- Uh, Vidro I guess
SS- Renteria. Homer pick.
3B- Cabrera in a landslide
OF- Beltran, Andruw, Soriano.

Fuck the west coast.
User avatar
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy
 
Posts: 30228
Joined: 10 Jun 2005, 10:55

Postby Fletch » 23 Jun 2006, 15:20

Theny wrote:My votes for the NL:

C-Mike Lieberthal. I seriously voted for him on the ballot.
1B- Delgado.
2B- Uh, Vidro I guess
SS- Renteria. Homer pick.
3B- Cabrera in a landslide
OF- Beltran, Andruw, Soriano.

Fuck the west coast.


The west coast send its regards to you as well. :x
User avatar
Fletch
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 7161
Joined: 30 Mar 2006, 10:19
Location: Number 2

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 23 Jun 2006, 15:38

Theny wrote:My votes for the NL:

C-Mike Lieberthal. I seriously voted for him on the ballot.


Dick.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
User avatar
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep
 
Posts: 30236
Joined: 26 Aug 2005, 09:59

Postby sportsdorkhater » 23 Jun 2006, 23:04

Theny wrote:3B- Cabrera in a landslide


David Wright?
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn
 
Posts: 6514
Joined: 22 Feb 2005, 18:25

Re: 2006 MLB All-Star Game (and Voting)

Postby MoreCowbell » 24 Jun 2006, 12:43

kaskomm09 wrote:OF - Easily the most debatable category because there are so many fine options out here and everyone seems to do something different than the next guy. My picks: I'll take Ichiro, Vernon Well and Jermaine Dye (highest OPS in the league, thank you) with huge apologies to Alex Rios, Magglio Ordonez, Grady Sizemore, Vladdy and Nick Swisher.


No apology to Manny? He's very sad about that.
User avatar
MoreCowbell
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 5479
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 09:01

Postby nova » 24 Jun 2006, 12:54

sportsdorkhater wrote:
Theny wrote:3B- Cabrera in a landslide


David Wright?


Theny's an idiot?
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
User avatar
nova
Thrifty Negro
 
Posts: 25385
Joined: 04 Aug 2005, 16:04
Location: King's Tower | Los Angeles, CA

Postby God Shamgod » 24 Jun 2006, 13:02

AL
C- Joe Mauer. Easy one. He's got the baseball thing down, now come back to Tally and play QB.

1B- Paul Konerko. Comparable numbers to Thome, Hafner, and Ortiz. Wins out because he plays a position.

2B- Jose Lopez. RBI count puts him above the field.

SS- Miguel Tejada. I have my doubts about B-12 boy and he looks awful in the field, but the numbers win it fo rhim.

3B- Troy Glaus. Go Jays!!!!111

OF- Vernon Wells, Ichiro, Jermaine Dye. Agree with kasko on this one.


NL (no commentary because Tim McCarver keeps telling me how much the NL sucks)
C- Brian McCann

1B- Poo-Holes

2B- Chase Utley

SS- Jose Reyes

3B- David Wright

OF- Alfonso Soriano, Carlos Beltran, Matt Holiday
ctz31 wrote:I hate hate hate the fact that I never had the opportunity to be an orgy guy.
User avatar
God Shamgod
1-900-SHAMGOD
 
Posts: 5586
Joined: 26 Sep 2005, 10:06
Location: rehab

Postby sportsdorkhater » 24 Jun 2006, 13:14

God Shamgod wrote:AL
C- Joe Mauer. Easy one. He's got the baseball thing down, now come back to Tally and play QB.

1B- Paul Konerko. Comparable numbers to Thome, Hafner, and Ortiz. Wins out because he plays a position.

2B- Jose Lopez. RBI count puts him above the field.

SS- Miguel Tejada. I have my doubts about B-12 boy and he looks awful in the field, but the numbers win it fo rhim.

3B- Troy Glaus. Go Jays!!!!111

OF- Vernon Wells, Ichiro, Jermaine Dye. Agree with kasko on this one.


NL (no commentary because Tim McCarver keeps telling me how much the NL sucks)
C- Brian McCann

1B- Poo-Holes

2B- Chase Utley

SS- Jose Reyes

3B- David Wright

OF- Alfonso Soriano, Carlos Beltran, Matt Holiday


I agree with just about all those picks except NL-2B(Uggla) and AL-3B(Gay-rod) although Utley and Glaus should be right there
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn
 
Posts: 6514
Joined: 22 Feb 2005, 18:25

Postby Briandong79 » 24 Jun 2006, 13:47

I can't wait to go buy my Bob Howry All Star Game jersey.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 30308
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Postby God Shamgod » 24 Jun 2006, 13:52

Briandean79 wrote:I can't wait to go buy my Bob Howry All Star Game jersey.


You don't think Zombrano will get the nod?
ctz31 wrote:I hate hate hate the fact that I never had the opportunity to be an orgy guy.
User avatar
God Shamgod
1-900-SHAMGOD
 
Posts: 5586
Joined: 26 Sep 2005, 10:06
Location: rehab

Postby Briandong79 » 24 Jun 2006, 13:55

God Shamgod wrote:
Briandean79 wrote:I can't wait to go buy my Bob Howry All Star Game jersey.


You don't think Zombrano will get the nod?


Yeah, he will, I imagine, but I've been making that joke since D Lee got hurt and Zambrano was still struggling with his control, so I wanted to make it once last time.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 30308
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Postby TheDooze » 24 Jun 2006, 21:31

My picks:

AL:

C - Varitek
1b - Ortiz
2b - Loretta
SS - Guillen
3b - Inge
OF - Manny, Trot, Ordonez

NL:

C - Barrett
1b - Nomar
2b - Todd Walker
SS - Rollins
3b - Mueller
OF - Dave Roberts, A. Jones
TheDooze
Smartest Guy In The Room
 
Posts: 3211
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 17:46

Postby Montecore's Revenge » 24 Jun 2006, 21:38

TheDooze wrote:My picks:

AL:

C - Varitek
1b - Ortiz
2b - Loretta
SS - Guillen
3b - Inge
OF - Manny, Trot, Ordonez

NL:

C - Barrett
1b - Nomar
2b - Todd Walker
SS - Rollins
3b - Mueller
OF - Dave Roberts, A. Jones


Wow, only 9 of the 15 players you named above are current or former Red Sox. Just 9? Are you sure you don't want to put Mike Lowell at 3B for the AL and bring it to an even 10?
User avatar
Montecore's Revenge
The Angel of Death
 
Posts: 6418
Joined: 06 Jan 2006, 20:48
Location: Not using steroids

Postby JichaelDick » 24 Jun 2006, 21:44

TheDooze wrote:My picks:

AL:

C - Varitek
1b - Ortiz
2b - Loretta
SS - Guillen
3b - Inge
OF - Manny, Trot, Ordonez

NL:

C - Barrett
1b - Nomar
2b - Todd Walker
SS - Rollins
3b - Mueller
OF - Dave Roberts, A. Jones


Well, you only have 2 outfielders for the NL, and there is no way in this universe that Varitek deserves the catcher spot over Mauer.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
User avatar
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob
 
Posts: 25499
Joined: 21 Dec 2005, 13:56
Location: Dang ol' Arlen, Texas, man

Next

Return to MLB

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest