MoneyBallSucksBaconsBalls

Re: MoneyBallSucksBaconsBalls

Postby Dthefritz » 23 Jul 2012, 21:24

Gregs Kite wrote:My only regret is DTF and 'pin don't like baseball. This would be the best thread in history.

I like baseball just fine, but this is the dumbest ongoing debate in sports and I couldn't imagine wanting to participate in it. And this is coming from a guy who'd interrupt people reading the Da Vinci Code on the subway just to ask them if they'd heard that good news that Zach Randolph is risen.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Freddy Fernandez » 25 Jul 2012, 10:30

mister bacon wrote:
TVF wannabe wrote:
SDGuy wrote:But that wasn't what the Moneyball concept or the book was about. It was about finding market value inefficiencies. In the book it details that OBP was not valued properly and neither were college players in the draft. Oakland exploited the inefficiencies for as long as they could, got a little lucky and competed with and beat teams that had way more resources. Those teams have now caught up, the market for baseball players is more efficient and Oakland has suffered. Fin.

or all that noise only truly works if you have great pitching.

yuuuuuuuuuuup.

And where did the great pitching come from? Big free agency signings? Oh no, wait. Zito and Mulder were 1st round picks, and Hudson was a 6th round pick. While teams were going crazy over high school pitchers, Beane struck gold by drafting college pitchers in the 1997, 1998, and 1999 draft.

This argument is boring. The A's have no chance to compete with teams that have payrolls 3 or 4 times larger than them, yet they are. The fucking Angels are spending $100 million MORE than the A's on their team this year. Is it that hard to accept that maybe Billy Beane and the A's are on to something by trying to find inefficiencies in how players are valued?
"What're the best shoe/purse brands for the spring season?" ~jack_daniels
Freddy Fernandez
OG's sponsor

Postby someguysomewhere » 25 Jul 2012, 11:08

Freddy Fernandez wrote:
mister bacon wrote:
TVF wannabe wrote:
SDGuy wrote:But that wasn't what the Moneyball concept or the book was about. It was about finding market value inefficiencies. In the book it details that OBP was not valued properly and neither were college players in the draft. Oakland exploited the inefficiencies for as long as they could, got a little lucky and competed with and beat teams that had way more resources. Those teams have now caught up, the market for baseball players is more efficient and Oakland has suffered. Fin.

or all that noise only truly works if you have great pitching.

yuuuuuuuuuuup.

And where did the great pitching come from? Big free agency signings? Oh no, wait. Zito and Mulder were 1st round picks, and Hudson was a 6th round pick. While teams were going crazy over high school pitchers, Beane struck gold by drafting college pitchers in the 1997, 1998, and 1999 draft.

This argument is boring. The A's have no chance to compete with teams that have payrolls 3 or 4 times larger than them, yet they are. The fucking Angels are spending $100 million MORE than the A's on their team this year. Is it that hard to accept that maybe Billy Beane and the A's are on to something by trying to find inefficiencies in how players are valued?

I dunno, but I'll be fucked if I'm splitting the drink and subsidizing somebody else's alcoholism.
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby JichaelDick » 03 Sep 2012, 09:04

Don't look now--the A's have the second-best record (ok, are tied for the second-best record) in the AL.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Gregs Kite » 03 Sep 2012, 10:07

Yeah but it's not like they've done it with cheap parts and other teams castoffs. That has nothing to do with Moneyball. Billy Beane is still on verrated clod. I mean, look at the star power, it's like the AL version of the Dodgers.
You fuckers ruined kite.

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

BostonSucksMyBalls - Thu May 11, 2017 2:07 pm: greg your being a lil bitch in the hall of sand

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby JichaelDick » 03 Sep 2012, 10:14

Gregs Kite wrote:Yeah but it's not like they've done it with cheap parts and other teams castoffs. That has nothing to do with Moneyball. Billy Beane is still on verrated clod. I mean, look at the star power, it's like the AL version of the Dodgers.

I know, man. I felt for your poor, undermanned Red Sox this weekend, having to run into such a juggernaut.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 26 Sep 2012, 16:05

mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby Dthefritz » 26 Sep 2012, 23:40

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:I found bacon!

Without weighing in on the actual debate, I'd like to point out that if you're going to make the argument that statistical analysis demeans a sport because the sport is so breathtakingly exciting and boner-inducing that who could think about calculators at a time like this, maybe baseball isn't the best sport to do that. Just sayin.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby JichaelDick » 30 Sep 2012, 23:35

Magic number is one, and the AL West is in play.

12th in the AL in OBP, 9th in slugging, 11th in OPS. Amazingly, sixth in steals and 5th in CS, with a 79% conversion rate for a team that "never runs." A pitching staff that features five rookies that is second in the league in ERA, despite being next-to-last in K's and only sixth in walks.

But yes, Moneyball is always about using the OPS, guys who strike out a lot of guys, and is never, ever flexible about what they do.
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Freddy Fernandez » 02 Oct 2012, 00:36

Hey Bacon...

CHANGE THE FUCK THREAD TITLE!
"What're the best shoe/purse brands for the spring season?" ~jack_daniels
Freddy Fernandez
OG's sponsor

Postby Colonel Angus » 02 Oct 2012, 07:42

"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby Gregs Kite » 02 Oct 2012, 08:17

The As are guaranteed to make at least the ALCS, because G-d hates us and wants to stretch this mind bottling conversation out.
You fuckers ruined kite.

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

BostonSucksMyBalls - Thu May 11, 2017 2:07 pm: greg your being a lil bitch in the hall of sand

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby someguysomewhere » 02 Oct 2012, 08:41

One helluva season by the A's, but my god does the second wild card suck. I intend to beat this topic into the ground as much as the moneyball conversation, but I doubt there's a Bacon to my Jichael.
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby mj3528 » 02 Oct 2012, 08:51

someguysomewhere wrote:One helluva season by the A's, but my god does the second wild card suck. I intend to beat this topic into the ground as much as the moneyball conversation, but I doubt there's a Bacon to my Jichael.

why do you think the 2nd wildcard sucks? MLB has messed up the scheduling for the 2nd play-off series, but I think the 2nd wildcard is a good idea. It really has increased the importance of winning the division to avoid a 1 game crap shoot. In years past it did not matter if you won the division or were a wild card, now there is a real tangible benefit of winning the division. It has added relevance to these last few games for Baltimore, New York Yankees, Oakland and Texas. It was horrible in years past when the Yankees and Red Sox were 1-2 the last few weeks of the season and it did not matter where they finished because they both were making the play-offs.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby someguysomewhere » 02 Oct 2012, 09:09

mj3528 wrote:
someguysomewhere wrote:One helluva season by the A's, but my god does the second wild card suck. I intend to beat this topic into the ground as much as the moneyball conversation, but I doubt there's a Bacon to my Jichael.

why do you think the 2nd wildcard sucks? MLB has messed up the scheduling for the 2nd play-off series, but I think the 2nd wildcard is a good idea. It really has increased the importance of winning the division to avoid a 1 game crap shoot. In years past it did not matter if you won the division or were a wild card, now there is a real tangible benefit of winning the division. It has added relevance to these last few games for Baltimore, New York Yankees, Oakland and Texas. It was horrible in years past when the Yankees and Red Sox were 1-2 the last few weeks of the season and it did not matter where they finished because they both were making the play-offs.

I see your point, but it's predicated on accepting the existence of the wild card in the first place. This shit is stupid. First place wins, everyone else goes home.
the very best of _:

Mar 15

Apr 25
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

PreviousNext

Return to MLB