MoneyBallSucksBaconsBalls

Re: MoneyBallSucksBaconsBalls

Postby Frank the Tank » 22 Nov 2013, 14:47

Got invited to a conference that didn't interest me. Declined. Now I see they've hired Billy Beane to give the keynote address. Very odd choice considering the conference has nothing to do with baseball or moneyball, but boy do I wish I said I'd go. I bet that would be a great keynote. I could get an autograph that says "Mr. Bacon, Fuck You, Love, Billy".
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 22 Nov 2013, 14:48

Or you could tell him you enjoyed his work in Inglorious Basterds.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby mister bacon » 22 Nov 2013, 16:50

Frank the Tank wrote:Got invited to a conference that didn't interest me. Declined. Now I see they've hired Billy Beane to give the keynote address. Very odd choice considering the conference has nothing to do with baseball or moneyball, but boy do I wish I said I'd go. I bet that would be a great keynote. I could get an autograph that says "Mr. Bacon, Fuck You, Love, Billy".

i would frame this and put it in my office if you got it for me.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby SDGuy » 14 Apr 2014, 20:55

So, which one of you wrote this? http://thedailynewsonline.com/opinion/a ... mment-area (via Deadspin)

Mike Trout deserved the MVP because of Pythagorean expectations, speed scores, ultimate zone ratings, VORP, wOBA and PECOTA, or Player Empiracal Comparison and Optimization Test Algorithm.

Think baseball was boring before?

Grrrrr.

That's like a Gregs Kite mad libs.
Montecore's Revenge wrote:Protip: When you slit your wrists make sure you go north-south and not east-west. It will be harder for them to save you and it won't send out as much of a "just a cry for help, not a serious attempt" vibe
SDGuy
Basketball Jesus

Postby Briandong79 » 15 Apr 2014, 07:26

When people pick Trout as a "Moneyball--NERDS!!!" guy, it absolutely baffles me. If there was ever a player since Bonds or Griffey that passes the eye test as that guy is just the best overall player in baseball, it's Trout.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby JT99 » 15 Apr 2014, 08:21

Briandong79 wrote:When people pick Trout as a "Moneyball--NERDS!!!" guy, it absolutely baffles me. If there was ever a player since Bonds or Griffey that passes the eye test as that guy is just the best overall player in baseball, it's Trout.

Good call.

You would think that the old white boy establishment would be pushing the "new Mickey Mantle" angle harder
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 21 May 2014, 13:07

Defensive analytics are about to get revolutionized.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/ne ... york-mets/
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Colonel Angus » 15 Jan 2015, 12:57

Mentioned this in the box earlier, but...

A track-by-track sabermetric analysis of Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run" album

It's exactly as ridiculous as it sounds. A sampling:

It turns out that each side of Born to Run tells the tragically heroic story of a different baseball man: one an overly confident sabermetrician trying to make his way in a game that has long resisted change, the other a thoroughbred scout struggling to find his place in a sport that’s evolved beyond what he once knew. And perhaps more importantly, Springsteen’s magnum opus is an incredibly insightful and nuanced commentary about analytics, scouting, and how we can best understand and enjoy the game of baseball.

I don’t think I’m alone among the community of sabermetricians when I say I see a lot of my younger (and probably present, though hopefully to a lesser extent) self in the character of Bad Scooter. The analytics movement sat on the sidelines for far too long and came of age in the snark-filled corners of the internet, and as a result much (if not most) of public sabermetric research and discourse is framed in terms of what teams and writers and broadcasters are doing wrong. In addition to making the analytics movement seem cool, this song perfectly captures that defiant, maybe-a-bit-too-strong confidence that has permeated the sabermetric zeitgeist.

Neither Springsteen nor our narrator is questioning that quantitative analysis is useful, but the latter clearly feels out of place and left behind and the former seems to be suggesting that there are blind spots in the sabermetric view of the game.

And so on. I mean...
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby mj3528 » 15 Jan 2015, 13:00

Colonel Angus wrote:Mentioned this in the box earlier, but...

A track-by-track sabermetric analysis of Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run" album

It's exactly as ridiculous as it sounds. A sampling:

It turns out that each side of Born to Run tells the tragically heroic story of a different baseball man: one an overly confident sabermetrician trying to make his way in a game that has long resisted change, the other a thoroughbred scout struggling to find his place in a sport that’s evolved beyond what he once knew. And perhaps more importantly, Springsteen’s magnum opus is an incredibly insightful and nuanced commentary about analytics, scouting, and how we can best understand and enjoy the game of baseball.

I don’t think I’m alone among the community of sabermetricians when I say I see a lot of my younger (and probably present, though hopefully to a lesser extent) self in the character of Bad Scooter. The analytics movement sat on the sidelines for far too long and came of age in the snark-filled corners of the internet, and as a result much (if not most) of public sabermetric research and discourse is framed in terms of what teams and writers and broadcasters are doing wrong. In addition to making the analytics movement seem cool, this song perfectly captures that defiant, maybe-a-bit-too-strong confidence that has permeated the sabermetric zeitgeist.

Neither Springsteen nor our narrator is questioning that quantitative analysis is useful, but the latter clearly feels out of place and left behind and the former seems to be suggesting that there are blind spots in the sabermetric view of the game.

And so on. I mean...

I am probably the board's biggest Springsteen fan, and I could not make it through that dreck.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 15 Jan 2015, 13:27

I enjoy* ESPN's attempts to completely ruin "sabermetrics" and quantitative analysis by throwing shit at walls to see what sticks.

Joe Maddon? Worth 17 wins! Curses totes obv -5.

Music? We can ANALYZE IT WITH SCIENCE
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby Colonel Angus » 15 Jan 2015, 13:28

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:I enjoy* ESPN's attempts to completely ruin "sabermetrics" and quantitative analysis by throwing shit at walls to see what sticks.

My link was not from ESPN, ldotl.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 15 Jan 2015, 13:31

Colonel Angus wrote:
The Long Dick of the Law wrote:I enjoy* ESPN's attempts to completely ruin "sabermetrics" and quantitative analysis by throwing shit at walls to see what sticks.

My link was not from ESPN, ldotl.

FUCK

Just looking at the quotes you pulled, I figured it was a Grantland specialty

DAMMIT BP
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby ONTB » 15 Jan 2015, 13:54

That's one of the strangest things I've ever read. A swing and a miss, if you will.
[Mon 0:15] ONTB: Why can't the whole fucking cast come up? I want to hear what Marky Marky has to say
[Mon 0:16] Clayton Bigsby: "i'd like to thank the funky bunch"
ONTB
The Bomb Dick

Postby TheWolf » 15 Jan 2015, 13:56

ONTB wrote:That's one of the strangest things I've ever read. A swing and a miss, if you will.

Swinging and missing would be frowned upon by saber geeks.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Goose » 26 Aug 2016, 07:48

Blue Jays scout Steve Springer drops the mic on Bill James, Ken Tremendous, Billy Beane, Jonah Hill and Moneyball:

Seems like everything we do is about Stats-they kept stats 2000yrs ago to-Jesus died and rose again-its true its in the stat sheet-the BIBLE

SOTSG favorite PFTCommenter even responded:

Jesus was in a slump once.lasted 3 days. #OnToCincinatti

Link to tweet: https://twitter.com/qualityatbats/statu ... wsrc%5Etfw

Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

PreviousNext

Return to MLB