Dong's beloved: Chicago Cubs

Re: 4 months and counting...your Chicago Cubs

Postby CourtesyFlush » 18 Oct 2017, 08:36

Amazing how the mood is so much different this year. I think that comes from the Dodgers being so dominant this year versus being fragile mentally last year. Kershaw doesn't have to go out and be dominant for a change.

BD, jman, Dr J--what are your thoughts on what the Cubs should do in the offseason with the roster? Are Baez and/or Russell safe or will they be shipped out? Have to think Arrieta is gone.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby Briandong79 » 18 Oct 2017, 08:44

CourtesyFlush wrote:Amazing how the mood is so much different this year. I think that comes from the Dodgers being so dominant this year versus being fragile mentally last year. Kershaw doesn't have to go out and be dominant for a change.

BD, jman, Dr J--what are your thoughts on what the Cubs should do in the offseason with the roster? Are Baez and/or Russell safe or will they be shipped out? Have to think Arrieta is gone.

Lineup I expect to remain mostly the same. Ian Happ has apparently vanished from the roster during the playoffs so I'm not sure what is going on there. Bryant-Addy-Javy-Rizzo is the infield unless some starting pitcher becomes available. Catcher is obviously set as well. The outfield is kind of a mess but between Jay, Schwarber, Heyward, Zobrist and Happ, they've cobbled something together.

The rotation is Hendricks-Quintana-Lester-Montgomery-Yet to be named free agent/trade piece, I think. I think they'll have a hard time finding 2 starting pitchers so that's why I think Monty sneaks in. Agreed that I don't think they pay Arrietta. I hope he makes a shit ton of money and is successful wherever he goes. I don't think they'll pay Yu either. The bullpen, they have to figure out what is going on with Carl Jr. Bunch of headcases out there. I think they will bring back Wade as closer.

I'd be pretty shocked if there were big moves on the horizon.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby jman » 18 Oct 2017, 09:12

CourtesyFlush wrote:Amazing how the mood is so much different this year. I think that comes from the Dodgers being so dominant this year versus being fragile mentally last year. Kershaw doesn't have to go out and be dominant for a change.

this is exactly where I'm at. If the Cubs were scoring some runs and just getting out hit, I'd still have some optimism. But 4 runs in 3 games with all coming on HRs? Come on fuck a guy. And once the game gets past the 5th inning it's lights out.

Briandong79 wrote:Lineup I expect to remain mostly the same. Ian Happ has apparently vanished from the roster during the playoffs so I'm not sure what is going on there. Bryant-Addy-Javy-Rizzo is the infield unless some starting pitcher becomes available. Catcher is obviously set as well. The outfield is kind of a mess but between Jay, Schwarber, Heyward, Zobrist and Happ, they've cobbled something together.

The rotation is Hendricks-Quintana-Lester-Montgomery-Yet to be named free agent/trade piece, I think. I think they'll have a hard time finding 2 starting pitchers so that's why I think Monty sneaks in. Agreed that I don't think they pay Arrietta. I hope he makes a shit ton of money and is successful wherever he goes. I don't think they'll pay Yu either. The bullpen, they have to figure out what is going on with Carl Jr. Bunch of headcases out there. I think they will bring back Wade as closer.

I'd be pretty shocked if there were big moves on the horizon.

Pretty much agree with all of this. It will be interesting what the going rate is for Arrietta after the year he had. I don't think either Russell or Javy go anywhere. It would be nice to see Almora get some more time in the OF as well, but to keep Schwarber's bat in the lineup you've got to put him somewhere.
jman
Bruce Dickinson

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 18 Oct 2017, 09:36

not alot to add to what dong and jman said, i didn't watch that much this year. maybe Arrieta's price has dropped enough that they'd now pay him. just spitballing, i don't know if that's in the cards or not. i would trade schwarber to the american league and make almora a full-time player. i'm also wondering what happened with happ. i see no reason why they would break up the infield so agree with dong there. the starting pitching has to get better for them to compete with the dodgers.
Gregs Kite - Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm: I hate DJ and his stupid face and hes so stupid and I want to punch him
Dr Jeckyll
Never Forgotten

Postby ctz31 » 18 Oct 2017, 10:21

Briandong79 wrote:When the Cubs were down 3-1 last year, I thought they'd win the Series if they got Game 5 just to stay alive.

These guys are done. Still though, 3 straight NLCS appearances (2 spectacular flame outs, but still) and a WS title.

ImageImage

ctz31
#nnf

Postby Briandong79 » 18 Oct 2017, 10:35

I don't know how I completely forgot Almora, agreed that I like him a lot and would love to see him in a starting role. I think my ideal outfield is Schwarbs-Almora-Happ with Jay as the 4th (which is an ideal role for him, IMO), but don't see Heyward dropping out quite yet.

I really haven't paid much attention to the FA class at all. I think Arrieta and Yu are clearly the top of the class though, so they'll get paid more than I think the Cubs will be willing to put out there.

It wouldn't shock me to see Happ or Almora moved.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby JichaelDick » 18 Oct 2017, 10:40

Trade Schwarber for Price. Or Ervin Santana.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Briandong79 » 18 Oct 2017, 10:42

I will refuse to get off the "Schwarber can play OF full time" bandwagon until I'm dead in the cold hard ground.
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby JichaelDick » 18 Oct 2017, 11:02

Briandong79 wrote:I will refuse to get off the "Schwarber can play OF full time" bandwagon until I'm dead in the cold hard ground.

Fine. I'll take Happ or Almora for Erv.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Briandong79 » 18 Oct 2017, 11:09

The difference in time it takes to get through the Cubs half of an inning versus how long it takes the Dodgers is just staggering. Even 1-2-3 innings, feels like the Dodgers see 20 more pitches.
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Briandong79 » 19 Oct 2017, 09:24

God, that reversal of the foul tip was an awful awful call that shouldn't have been made. Don't blame Maddon for getting tossed. Thank god it was against a way past his prime Granderson. If it had been Puig or Turner it would have turned out much much worse.

Pretty much encapsulated the last year and a half or so of Jake Arrieta's career, dominating stuff, shaky control that nearly gets him into huge trouble. Only thing he missed, thankfully, was settling down after 2 and getting through a few innings with relatively low pitch counts.

Thanks, Jake.
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 19 Oct 2017, 09:40

"If Granderson hits the next one out, I may run out of the clubhouse in my jock strap,” Maddon said.

Madden wears a jockstrap as a manager? Wtf lol
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby bosux » 19 Oct 2017, 09:52

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:
"If Granderson hits the next one out, I may run out of the clubhouse in my jock strap,” Maddon said.

gotta support the team
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby jman » 19 Oct 2017, 09:54

bosux wrote:

gotta support the team

I think that was tongue in cheek. /31

I bet he wears silk boxers under his uniform
jman
Bruce Dickinson

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 19 Oct 2017, 09:56

bosux wrote:

gotta support the team

amen, how else is ballz gonna start a family now that he's unemployed and make that transition to Ogie-hood
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

PreviousNext

Return to MLB