Re: ENTER THE VORTEX: the baseball hall of fame thread

Postby Dthefritz » 22 Nov 2017, 12:35

Briandong79 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
TVF wannabe wrote:Chipper should be first ballot but who the fuck knows what these ONTB writers will decide. They all look to be so smart they figure out ways to keep guys that belong out and to put in guys that dont belong.

"Vlad he hit 318 and had a 380 OBP, he didnt walk enough"

Yes, BBWAA are pretty much the worst. I think Vlad not getting in last year was a matter of "HURR HE'S NOT A FIRST BALLOT GUY". Chipper will face the same obstacle this year. Any stats stuff they throw out is pretty much an after-the-fact justification for that logic.

Chipper played a much less crowded position with less competition for the hall, and for whatever reason, his advanced numbers are significantly better. I don't think he's getting in with 90%+ but he's going to break the threshold, IMO.

I'm not saying Chipper won't necessarily make it, just that people will come up with stupid reasons not to vote for him, as per always. I like how you have the answer right in front of you for why Chipper has better advanced numbers, though, and couldn't put two and two together :mrgreen:

I don't recall Chipper being a huge OBP guy, but I'm sure that accounts for some of it.

Assuming you mean stuff like VORP, WAR, etc, it's about Chipper being a third baseman. As you said, there aren't a lot of people in baseball history who hit like Chipper Jones from the 3B position, whereas Vlad's numbers, while absolutely hall of fame tier, are less impressive relative to the expectations of a corner outfielder.

I honestly have zero idea how those stats take position into account. If so, then yes, that absolutely makes sense.

It's about measuring production against a replacement-level player at your given position. Therefore, a shortstop who hits 30 home runs a year is measured against an average backup shortstop (who would hit maybe 5) as opposed to a corner outfielder, where a guy off the scrapheap would hit 20.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Gregs Kite » 22 Nov 2017, 12:38

Most aptly named thread on the site.

Good lord.
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 22 Nov 2017, 12:39

Dthefritz wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
TVF wannabe wrote:Chipper should be first ballot but who the fuck knows what these ONTB writers will decide. They all look to be so smart they figure out ways to keep guys that belong out and to put in guys that dont belong.

Yes, BBWAA are pretty much the worst. I think Vlad not getting in last year was a matter of "HURR HE'S NOT A FIRST BALLOT GUY". Chipper will face the same obstacle this year. Any stats stuff they throw out is pretty much an after-the-fact justification for that logic.

Chipper played a much less crowded position with less competition for the hall, and for whatever reason, his advanced numbers are significantly better. I don't think he's getting in with 90%+ but he's going to break the threshold, IMO.

I'm not saying Chipper won't necessarily make it, just that people will come up with stupid reasons not to vote for him, as per always. I like how you have the answer right in front of you for why Chipper has better advanced numbers, though, and couldn't put two and two together :mrgreen:

I don't recall Chipper being a huge OBP guy, but I'm sure that accounts for some of it.

Assuming you mean stuff like VORP, WAR, etc, it's about Chipper being a third baseman. As you said, there aren't a lot of people in baseball history who hit like Chipper Jones from the 3B position, whereas Vlad's numbers, while absolutely hall of fame tier, are less impressive relative to the expectations of a corner outfielder.

.401 career OBP, 16th all time in career walks, .303/.401/.529 as a switch hitter, only switch hitter with a .300/.400/.500 line, if he's not 1st ballot, yoke and I burn Cooperstown to the ground
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby Briandong79 » 22 Nov 2017, 12:40

Dthefritz wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:

I honestly have zero idea how those stats take position into account. If so, then yes, that absolutely makes sense.

It's about measuring production against a replacement-level player at your given position. Therefore, a shortstop who hits 30 home runs a year is measured against an average backup shortstop (who would hit maybe 5) as opposed to a corner outfielder, where a guy off the scrapheap would hit 20.

I always assumed it was more generic player X than that. Good to know!.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Dthefritz » 22 Nov 2017, 12:49

Briandong79 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:

I always assumed it was more generic player X than that. Good to know!.

TMYK.

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:.401 career OBP, 16th all time in career walks, .303/.401/.529 as a switch hitter, only switch hitter with a .300/.400/.500 line, if he's not 1st ballot, yoke and I burn Cooperstown to the ground

But how many opening day starts did he make???
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby SouthernYokel » 22 Nov 2017, 12:49

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:

.401 career OBP, 16th all time in career walks, .303/.401/.529 as a switch hitter, only switch hitter with a .300/.400/.500 line, if he's not 1st ballot, yoke and I burn Cooperstown to the ground

[scottish accent]Burn it.[/scottish]
BostonSucksMyBalls - Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:12 pm: I hope Jax wins next week. If the eagles lose to New England, I’m killing myself on Facebook Live
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 22 Nov 2017, 13:01

SouthernYokel wrote:
The Long Dick of the Law wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:

[scottish accent]Burn it.[/scottish]

mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 22 Nov 2017, 13:18

Guys, guys, he's white, he'll get in first ballot.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Dthefritz » 22 Nov 2017, 13:23

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:Guys, guys, he's white, he'll get in first ballot.

Guerrero isn't really black, he's an impostor! /Torii Hunter
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Goose » 11 Dec 2017, 16:15

Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby JichaelDick » 11 Dec 2017, 16:25

Trammell shoulda been in a while back.

Jack Morris is the pitching version of Maz.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Dthefritz » 11 Dec 2017, 18:20

Sure, Jack Morris doesn't belong anywhere near the HoF, but voting him in will piss off people I don't like, so I'll do it and then use logical fallacies and personal attacks to defend the decision no matter what. Make the Hall of Fame Great Again.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Gregs Kite » 11 Dec 2017, 18:39

Coulda saved a bunch of typing with "Fuck whitey".

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby JichaelDick » 26 Dec 2017, 18:16

Our boy Johan is about to be dropped off the ballot, Tambo.

Damn it all.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Gregs Kite » 26 Dec 2017, 18:47

JichaelDick wrote:Our boy Johan is about to be dropped off the ballot, Tambo.

Damn it all.

Was that no hitter worth it?

Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

PreviousNext

Return to MLB