Postby MisterTambourineMan » 21 Nov 2017, 14:16

Dthefritz wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
TVF wannabe wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
TVF wannabe wrote:
mj3528 wrote:
TVF wannabe wrote:Quite a list this year, I think 16 people on it belong in the HOF will be intersting to see who gets in and how many people dont get in because of the quantity.

I think Thome gets in, does Vizquel?

Vizquel isnt a hall of famer to me.

Bonds
Clemens
Vlad
Trevor Hoffman*
Andruw Jones*
Chipper
Kent
Edgar Martinez
McGriff
Manny
Schilling
Sheffield
Thome
Rolen*
Johan*

Is this who you think will get in, or deserves to?

It's a mix, the steroid guys probably wont get in, I dont think I'd put Rolen in and I dont know that some of the others like Kent, Mcgriff and Schilling will get in.

Schilling will get in eventually, maybe not this year. Kent and McGriff epitomize Hall of Very Good.

Guerrerro missed by a few votes last year, why do you think he won't make the leap?

Toss Rolen in the Hall of Very Good, too.

My 10:
Bonds
Clemens
Vlad
Chipper
Manny
Edgar
Schilling
Sheffield
Mussina
uggggggggggggggggh Hoffman I guess

eta: Take out Hoffman, put in Walker

I am fine with all your candidates, but damn you really don't like Thome.

Jim Thome has the IQ of broken tractor. Jim Thome once lost a spelling bee to a 12 pack of Milwaukee's Best. Jim Thome has a laugh that sounds like he simultaneously has too many and too few chromosomes. Jim Thome once ate a centipede on a dare and then another because he liked the taste - he was 38. Jim Thome's favorite television network is ESPN2. Jim Thome was once face to face with God and given only one question to ask of the almighty lord and creator of all and that question was "what's the special at Golden Corral tomorrow night?"

(he'll get in, good for him)
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm Gregs Kite: You tried. Slap that on your resume.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Re: ENTER THE VORTEX: the baseball hall of fame thread

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 21 Nov 2017, 14:29

He was good in like 2003 for me. Iirc he led us to almost the playoffs.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby Dthefritz » 21 Nov 2017, 14:32

Dthefritz wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
TVF wannabe wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
TVF wannabe wrote:
mj3528 wrote:
TVF wannabe wrote:Quite a list this year, I think 16 people on it belong in the HOF will be intersting to see who gets in and how many people dont get in because of the quantity.

Bonds
Clemens
Vlad
Trevor Hoffman*
Andruw Jones*
Chipper
Kent
Edgar Martinez
McGriff
Manny
Schilling
Sheffield
Thome
Rolen*
Johan*

It's a mix, the steroid guys probably wont get in, I dont think I'd put Rolen in and I dont know that some of the others like Kent, Mcgriff and Schilling will get in.

Schilling will get in eventually, maybe not this year. Kent and McGriff epitomize Hall of Very Good.

Guerrerro missed by a few votes last year, why do you think he won't make the leap?

My 10:
Bonds
Clemens
Vlad
Chipper
Manny
Edgar
Schilling
Sheffield
Mussina

Jim Thome has the IQ of broken tractor. Jim Thome once lost a spelling bee to a 12 pack of Milwaukee's Best. Jim Thome has a laugh that sounds like he simultaneously has too many and too few chromosomes. Jim Thome once ate a centipede on a dare and then another because he liked the taste - he was 38. Jim Thome's favorite television network is ESPN2. Jim Thome was once face to face with God and given only one question to ask of the almighty lord and creator of all and that question was "what's the special at Golden Corral tomorrow night?"

:lol: Tough, but fair.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby mj3528 » 21 Nov 2017, 15:00

Dthefritz wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
TVF wannabe wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
TVF wannabe wrote:
mj3528 wrote:

Bonds
Clemens
Vlad
Trevor Hoffman*
Andruw Jones*
Chipper
Kent
Edgar Martinez
McGriff
Manny
Schilling
Sheffield
Thome
Rolen*
Johan*

My 10:
Bonds
Clemens
Vlad
Chipper
Manny
Edgar
Schilling
Sheffield
Mussina

:lol: Tough, but fair.

Mark McGwire hit the Budweiser sign in the bleachers at the Jake in a game. The next day, Thome brought him a case of Budweiser in the locker room and laughed uncontrollably.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby SouthernYokel » 21 Nov 2017, 16:04

if being dumb disqualifies you from the HOF we can't put Chipper in there either. and we're fucking putting Chipper in, you heathens. I can't wait to see that bronze soul patch, it's gonna be glorious.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:12 pm: I hope Jax wins next week. If the eagles lose to New England, I’m killing myself on Facebook Live
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Briandong79 » 21 Nov 2017, 16:09

My guess is that it's Chipper, Vlad, Hoffman and Thome, with Andruw Jones next man out.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby mister bacon » 21 Nov 2017, 17:11

SouthernYokel wrote:if being dumb disqualifies you from the HOF we can't put Chipper in there either. and we're fucking putting Chipper in, you heathens. I can't wait to see that bronze soul patch, it's gonna be glorious.

I didnt know Hooters has a hall of fame. is mo vaughn in too?
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby SouthernYokel » 21 Nov 2017, 19:14

mister bacon wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:if being dumb disqualifies you from the HOF we can't put Chipper in there either. and we're fucking putting Chipper in, you heathens. I can't wait to see that bronze soul patch, it's gonna be glorious.

I didnt know Hooters has a hall of fame. is mo vaughn in too?

How dare you. Imo we should replace the Confederate generals monuments with chipper, Dale sr, and Brett favre. That is more of an aside but I felt it in my heart
BostonSucksMyBalls - Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:12 pm: I hope Jax wins next week. If the eagles lose to New England, I’m killing myself on Facebook Live
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby TVF wannabe » 22 Nov 2017, 10:40

Chipper should be first ballot but who the fuck knows what these ONTB writers will decide. They all look to be so smart they figure out ways to keep guys that belong out and to put in guys that dont belong.

"Vlad he hit 318 and had a 380 OBP, he didnt walk enough"
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

Postby Dthefritz » 22 Nov 2017, 12:12

TVF wannabe wrote:Chipper should be first ballot but who the fuck knows what these ONTB writers will decide. They all look to be so smart they figure out ways to keep guys that belong out and to put in guys that dont belong.

Yes, BBWAA are pretty much the worst. I think Vlad not getting in last year was a matter of "HURR HE'S NOT A FIRST BALLOT GUY". Chipper will face the same obstacle this year. Any stats stuff they throw out is pretty much an after-the-fact justification for that logic.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Briandong79 » 22 Nov 2017, 12:18

Dthefritz wrote:
TVF wannabe wrote:Chipper should be first ballot but who the fuck knows what these ONTB writers will decide. They all look to be so smart they figure out ways to keep guys that belong out and to put in guys that dont belong.

Yes, BBWAA are pretty much the worst. I think Vlad not getting in last year was a matter of "HURR HE'S NOT A FIRST BALLOT GUY". Chipper will face the same obstacle this year. Any stats stuff they throw out is pretty much an after-the-fact justification for that logic.

Chipper played a much less crowded position with less competition for the hall, and for whatever reason, his advanced numbers are significantly better. I don't think he's getting in with 90%+ but he's going to break the threshold, IMO.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Dthefritz » 22 Nov 2017, 12:22

Briandong79 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:

Chipper played a much less crowded position with less competition for the hall, and for whatever reason, his advanced numbers are significantly better. I don't think he's getting in with 90%+ but he's going to break the threshold, IMO.

I'm not saying Chipper won't necessarily make it, just that people will come up with stupid reasons not to vote for him, as per always. I like how you have the answer right in front of you for why Chipper has better advanced numbers, though, and couldn't put two and two together :mrgreen:
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Briandong79 » 22 Nov 2017, 12:23

Dthefritz wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:

I'm not saying Chipper won't necessarily make it, just that people will come up with stupid reasons not to vote for him, as per always. I like how you have the answer right in front of you for why Chipper has better advanced numbers, though, and couldn't put two and two together :mrgreen:

I don't recall Chipper being a huge OBP guy, but I'm sure that accounts for some of it.
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Dthefritz » 22 Nov 2017, 12:28

Briandong79 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:

I don't recall Chipper being a huge OBP guy, but I'm sure that accounts for some of it.

Assuming you mean stuff like VORP, WAR, etc, it's about Chipper being a third baseman. As you said, there aren't a lot of people in baseball history who hit like Chipper Jones from the 3B position, whereas Vlad's numbers, while absolutely hall of fame tier, are less impressive relative to the expectations of a corner outfielder.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Briandong79 » 22 Nov 2017, 12:29

Dthefritz wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:

Assuming you mean stuff like VORP, WAR, etc, it's about Chipper being a third baseman. As you said, there aren't a lot of people in baseball history who hit like Chipper Jones from the 3B position, whereas Vlad's numbers, while absolutely hall of fame tier, are less impressive relative to the expectations of a corner outfielder.

I honestly have zero idea how those stats take position into account. If so, then yes, that absolutely makes sense.
Briandong79
Beep Boop

PreviousNext

Return to MLB