ENTER THE VORTEX: the baseball hall of fame thread

Re: ENTER THE VORTEX: the baseball hall of fame thread

Postby Briandong79 » 31 Jul 2017, 15:53

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:I thought Biggio deserved to get in but if anyone thought he was the best player on the Astros back then instead of Bagwell, they were deluding themselves.

As someone who is a fan of Jonah Keri's writing, seeing Tim Raines give a whole section of his acceptance speech to Keri was really cool.

Chipper and Thome will be first ballot guys last year.

Chipper is a fine first ballot choice.

I'm fit to be livid if Thome gets in before Bonds. Fit. To be. Livid.

It was the original title of Huey Lewis' Hip to be Square.

Valid, but he hit more than 600 home runs and he has always been a horse so the steroid talk won't stick to him as much.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 31 Jul 2017, 15:55

Briandong79 wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:I thought Biggio deserved to get in but if anyone thought he was the best player on the Astros back then instead of Bagwell, they were deluding themselves.

As someone who is a fan of Jonah Keri's writing, seeing Tim Raines give a whole section of his acceptance speech to Keri was really cool.

Valid, but he hit more than 600 home runs and he has always been a horse so the steroid talk won't stick to him as much.

Yes.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
JT99 - Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:43 pm: Dude, the MAGA thread has already sabotaged the entire site
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby Dthefritz » 31 Jul 2017, 19:11

Briandong79 wrote:

Yes.

You mean he put on muscle and underwent general physical changes between the ages of 20 and 40? How monstrously unnatural!

I'm not going to be a jackass and insist Thome was 100% clean , cause I'm not an idiot, but there's really no reason to suspect him other than he played in the steroids era and hit a bunch of home runs. Which, fine. Everybody was doing it and it's not a real stretch that he was one of them. But you can't just produce a picture of a relatively slim 20 year old and act like it's a Bonds-caliber smoking gun. The fact is, we don't have any real evidence for or against with guys like Thome. Which is why the Bonds embargo is so problematic in the first place, because it sets up an impossible standard of truth in cases like this.

Full disclosure: I have done the rookie card thing before, possibly even with Thome himself.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 31 Jul 2017, 19:28

Dthefritz wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:

Yes.

You mean he put on muscle and underwent general physical changes between the ages of 20 and 40? How monstrously unnatural!

I'm not going to be a jackass and insist Thome was 100% clean , cause I'm not an idiot, but there's really no reason to suspect him other than he played in the steroids era and hit a bunch of home runs. Which, fine. Everybody was doing it and it's not a real stretch that he was one of them. But you can't just produce a picture of a relatively slim 20 year old and act like it's a Bonds-caliber smoking gun. The fact is, we don't have any real evidence for or against with guys like Thome. Which is why the Bonds embargo is so problematic in the first place, because it sets up an impossible standard of truth in cases like this.

Full disclosure: I have done the rookie card thing before, possibly even with Thome himself.

It actually was Thome I think.

But that is also my point: Bagwell, Thome, Pudge -well he was actually linked- getting in before the God of hitting? Maddux not being unanimous? The whole embargo, as you said, is fucking dumb. Much as Clemens can suck a bushel of dicks in hell next to Sisyphus, he should be in by now.

Also Thome was a dh with as many stolen bases as my left scrotum and 100 less home runs than Bonds.
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
JT99 - Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:43 pm: Dude, the MAGA thread has already sabotaged the entire site
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby TheWolf » 31 Jul 2017, 19:41

Dthefritz wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:

Yes.

But that is also my point: Bagwell, Thome, Pudge -well he was actually linked- getting in before the God of hitting? Maddux not being unanimous? The whole embargo, as you said, is fucking dumb. Much as Clemens can suck a bushel of dicks in hell next to Sisyphus, he should be in by now.

Also Thome was a dh with as many stolen bases as my left scrotum and 100 less home runs than Bonds.

A.) How many scrotums do you have?
B.) Congrats on the left one stealing those 19 bases.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 31 Jul 2017, 20:11

TheWolf wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:

Yes.

A.) How many scrotums do you have?
B.) Congrats on the left one stealing those 19 bases.

A) 5 and 3 dicks. The circumsion could've gone better.
B) Steve thanks you.

Seriously though 19 bases ok.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby TheWolf » 31 Jul 2017, 20:14

That's like 11 more than I would have guessed, to be honest. Steals, not scrotums.

Side note: it's funny because I could have used the word "bags" on either side of that, and both would have made sense.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 31 Jul 2017, 20:17

TheWolf wrote:That's like 11 more than I would have guessed, to be honest. Steals, not scrotums.

Side note: it's funny because I could have used the word "bags" on either side of that, and both would have made sense.

I actually would've guessed like 25. How the fuck he play that long with only 19 steals? Eh.

Bags, nice touch.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby Gregs Kite » 31 Jul 2017, 20:19

If your god of hitting would just admit what we all know he did he'd be in by now. But no, he had to pout because a white boy was getting too much attention.
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby TheWolf » 31 Jul 2017, 20:24

Gregs Kite wrote:If your god of hitting would just admit what we all know he did he'd be in by now. But no, he had to pout because a white boy was getting too much attention.

You don't seriously think denial is the only reason these holier than thou assholes aren't voting for Bonds, do you?
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 31 Jul 2017, 20:27

TheWolf wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:If your god of hitting would just admit what we all know he did he'd be in by now. But no, he had to pout because a white boy was getting too much attention.

You don't seriously think denial is the only reason these holier than thou assholes aren't voting for Bonds, do you?

Ha! Oh shit wolf....youre too nice.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby Gregs Kite » 31 Jul 2017, 20:29

TheWolf wrote:

Yeah I do. Angry boys might play the easy race card, but Bonds sits down with Oprah and comes clean and those Springsteen loving white boys will fall over themselves to cast votes of redemption.

Again, Bonds was pissy that a .........white boy was getting all the attention so he cheated so blatantly and brazenly it became a parody.

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby TheWolf » 31 Jul 2017, 20:38

I'm not even talking about the race card. I think too many of these writer d bags are just dead set on never voting for anyone who has been connected to PEDs, whether they admit it or not. I'd love to be proven wrong, doe. Because it's all goddamn absurd IMO.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 31 Jul 2017, 20:39

TheWolf wrote:I'm not even talking about the race card. I think too many of these writer d bags are just dead set on never voting for anyone who has been connected to PEDs, whether they admit it or not. I'd love to be proven wrong, doe. Because it's all goddamn absurd IMO.

Like I said, you're too nice.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby Gregs Kite » 31 Jul 2017, 20:46

TheWolf wrote:I'm not even talking about the race card. I think too many of these writer d bags are just dead set on never voting for anyone who has been connected to PEDs, whether they admit it or not. I'd love to be proven wrong, doe. Because it's all goddamn absurd IMO.

Of course it's absurd. But you know what really absurd? A hall of fame caliber player being so asshurt that another white player hit a lot of home runs so said hall of fame caliber player decided his best course of action was to gas up to comic book proportions and also decided to be a giant cocksucker to everyone outside of San Francisco and he could have just kept playing as is, retire and moonwalk into Cooperstown. Reap what you sow, I'm afraid.

By the way, how come you're too nice?

Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

PreviousNext

Return to MLB