ENTER THE VORTEX: the baseball hall of fame thread

Re: ENTER THE VORTEX: the baseball hall of fame thread

Postby Gregs Kite » 31 Jul 2017, 10:52

OJ8871440 wrote:
Prez wrote:I know several locals who went to the HOF induction yesterday to support CT hero Jeff Bagwell.
He grew up here.
He went to Xavier High School (same school that my oldest went to for 2 yrs).
He went to University of Hartford.
He didn't use steroids. :wink: :lol: :-w

It's a fun time up there, I would consider going again in a non-Yankee/Red Sox year, looks like it was just over half of last year's crowd so easier to get around the town.

Did you go this year?
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 31 Jul 2017, 10:59

TheWolf wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:
OJ8871440 wrote:
Prez wrote:I know several locals who went to the HOF induction yesterday to support CT hero Jeff Bagwell.
He grew up here.

It's a fun time up there, I would consider going again in a non-Yankee/Red Sox year, looks like it was just over half of last year's crowd so easier to get around the town.

Bags made 4 all star games. What took so long to induct him????!

That can't......holy shit he's right. Weird.

Yeah, that's a shocking stat. Was he not as good as I think he was? Or were there just too many good first basemen at the same time?

the answer we're looking for here: All Star games are stupid and times voted in is a dumb stat

also: yeah, lots of 1Bs

also, also: All Star games are dumb, MVP voting (almost) equally dumb, but if you like them, he was an all star in 1994, 96, 97, 99. In 1995 when he was not an all star, finished 15th in MVP voting with the only 1B ahead of him being Mark Grace (13th). Andres Galarraga was 16th in the voting, McGriff 20th, Jeff Conine 22nd. So despite being considered the 15th best player in the league and 2nd best 1B... not an all star. 1998 not even an single 6th or whatever place vote for MVP despite OPS+ of 158 and having a higher WAR than say Andres Galarraga (love you Big Cat!) who finished 7th (this is also the season a lil known 1B named Mark McGwire hit a couple HRs). 7th in NL MVP voting in 2000, Todd Helton at 5th the only 1B ahead of him, no other 1Bs received votes, no all star game. 2001 again 7th in MVP voting, only Albert Pujols higher at 4th. Todd Helton (9th) only other 1B receiving votes. In conclusion.... all star games are stupid.
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby chrisco » 31 Jul 2017, 11:01

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:
TheWolf wrote:
OJ8871440 wrote:
He grew up here.

Yeah, that's a shocking stat. Was he not as good as I think he was? Or were there just too many good first basemen at the same time?

the answer we're looking for here: All Star games are stupid and times voted in is a dumb stat

also, also: All Star games are dumb, MVP voting (almost) equally dumb, but if you like them, he was an all star in 1994, 96, 97, 99. In 1995 when he was not an all star, finished 15th in MVP voting with the only 1B ahead of him being Mark Grace (13th). Andres Galarraga was 16th in the voting, McGriff 20th, Jeff Conine 22nd. So despite being considered the 15th best player in the league and 2nd best 1B... not an all star. 1998 not even an single 6th or whatever place vote for MVP despite OPS+ of 158 and having a higher WAR than say Andres Galarraga (love you Big Cat!) who finished 7th (this is also the season a lil known 1B named Mark McGwire hit a couple HRs). 7th in NL MVP voting in 2000, Todd Helton at 5th the only 1B ahead of him, no other 1Bs received votes, no all star game. 2001 again 7th in MVP voting, only Albert Pujols higher at 4th. Todd Helton (9th) only other 1B receiving votes. In conclusion.... all star games are stupid.

Classic LDOTL. =D+= =D+= =D+= =D+= =D+=

Good to see you back and putting in work buddy.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 31 Jul 2017, 11:02

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:
TheWolf wrote:
OJ8871440 wrote:
He grew up here.

Well said.
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
JT99 - Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:43 pm: Dude, the MAGA thread has already sabotaged the entire site
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby Gregs Kite » 31 Jul 2017, 11:02

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:the answer we're looking for here: All Star games are stupid and times voted in is a dumb stat

Did you know all of this without researching? Be honest.
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby chrisco » 31 Jul 2017, 11:11

MTM - Do you have an opinions on Dante Bichette being a 4 time all star?
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 31 Jul 2017, 11:15

chrisco wrote:MTM - Do you have an opinions on Dante Bichette being a 4 time all star?

Before, I would have said - "Wow, that seems pretty fucking stupid. Fuck Coors Field."

After LDOT's post I say - "Wow, that is pretty fucking stupid. And still fuck Coors Field."

I'm trying to find the dumbest multiple time all-stars now - I got Tony Fernandez at 5. Top it.
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
JT99 - Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:43 pm: Dude, the MAGA thread has already sabotaged the entire site
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby JT99 » 31 Jul 2017, 11:24

chrisco wrote:MTM - Do you have an opinions on Dante Bichette being a 4 time all star?

Before, I would have said - "Wow, that seems pretty fucking stupid. Fuck Coors Field."

After LDOT's post I say - "Wow, that is pretty fucking stupid. And still fuck Coors Field."

I'm trying to find the dumbest multiple time all-stars now - I got Tony Fernandez at 5. Top it.

Alfonso Soriano - 7
Michael Young - 7
Dave Concepcion - 9
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby CourtesyFlush » 31 Jul 2017, 11:27

JT99 wrote:

Alfonso Soriano - 7
Michael Young - 7
Dave Concepcion - 9

On the flip side--the greatest pitcher of his generation (Greg Maddux) only had 8 AS appeances. WTF.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby mj3528 » 31 Jul 2017, 11:27

CourtesyFlush wrote:
JT99 wrote:

Alfonso Soriano - 7
Michael Young - 7
Dave Concepcion - 9

On the flip side--the greatest pitcher of his generation (Greg Maddux) only had 8 AS appeances. WTF.

Same as Ass cancer survivor Roy Halladay.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 31 Jul 2017, 11:28

JT99 wrote:

Alfonso Soriano - 7
Michael Young - 7
Dave Concepcion - 9

I think Concepcion is gonna be the winner here.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 31 Jul 2017, 11:29

Gregs Kite wrote:
The Long Dick of the Law wrote:the answer we're looking for here: All Star games are stupid and times voted in is a dumb stat

Did you know all of this without researching? Be honest.

nope, baseball reference is great

Not topping that, but 2000 AL All Star shortstops: Derek Jeter, Nomar Garciaparra, Alex Rodriguez aaaaaaaand.... Mike Bordick (who?????)

Why even bother showing up, Mike Bordick?
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby Goose » 31 Jul 2017, 15:31

Because being the guy who get's the all-star who-ores that don't bang Jeter, Nomar and A-Rod is still a pretty good position to be in. :beatsme:
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Briandong79 » 31 Jul 2017, 15:51

I thought Biggio deserved to get in but if anyone thought he was the best player on the Astros back then instead of Bagwell, they were deluding themselves.

As someone who is a fan of Jonah Keri's writing, seeing Tim Raines give a whole section of his acceptance speech to Keri was really cool.

Chipper and Thome will be first ballot guys last year.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 31 Jul 2017, 15:52

Briandong79 wrote:I thought Biggio deserved to get in but if anyone thought he was the best player on the Astros back then instead of Bagwell, they were deluding themselves.

As someone who is a fan of Jonah Keri's writing, seeing Tim Raines give a whole section of his acceptance speech to Keri was really cool.

Chipper and Thome will be first ballot guys last year.

Chipper is a fine first ballot choice.

I'm fit to be livid if Thome gets in before Bonds. Fit. To be. Livid.

It was the original title of Huey Lewis' Hip to be Square.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

PreviousNext

Return to MLB