ENTER THE VORTEX: the baseball hall of fame thread

Re: ENTER THE VORTEX: the baseball hall of fame thread

Postby PhillyJim76 » 18 Jan 2017, 19:23

Gregs Kite wrote:
PhillyJim76 wrote:Bagwell was never linked to anything right? That's the difference. Will be interesting to see if Ramirez and Ortiz get in easily

Lean protein and chocolate milk. No doubt.

Of.course he took stuff. I just mean he never failed a test or was found receiving BALCO stuff right?
It feels so good to be back.
PhillyJim76
Basketball Jesus

Postby Gregs Kite » 18 Jan 2017, 20:06

PhillyJim76 wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:
PhillyJim76 wrote:Bagwell was never linked to anything right? That's the difference. Will be interesting to see if Ramirez and Ortiz get in easily

Lean protein and chocolate milk. No doubt.

Of.course he took stuff. I just mean he never failed a test or was found receiving BALCO stuff right?

Yes. And he's white. YUGE check mark.
You fuckers ruined kite.

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

TheWolf - Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:26 pm: i'm ctz. i'm sober at 3:30 pm. dork

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby TheWolf » 18 Jan 2017, 21:34

Dave Schoenfield wrote:Congratulations to Jeff Bagwell, Ivan Rodriguez and Tim Raines, the newest members of the National Baseball Hall of Fame. Both selections were long overdue.

Idiot.

(I realize he's talking about the 2 guys who have been on the ballot for multiple years, but it's still a poorly-worded introduction to a column).
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 18 Jan 2017, 21:48

balls quote of Verducci wrote:Billy Wagner: Great rate stats, but Wagner never did enough heavy lifting and never changed baseball history. Wagner has the lowest ERA and lowest WHIP of any reliever with at least 900 innings except Mariano Rivera. But Wagner is tied for 141st all-time for saves of more than three outs—just 36, fewer than Armando Benitez and Frank DiPino.

What kind of criteria is this?????? Saves of more than 3 outs??? Who cares??? Saves are stupid as ithe is but this really, really takes the cake.

"Y'know, Willie Mays was good and all but how many home runs did he hit in the 8th inning of a tie game with 1 on and no one out on the day of a waxing crescent moon? He's 1st all time on waning crescent, I'll give you that but only 277th on waxing behind guys like Rafael Belliard and Paul O'Neill"
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby Dthefritz » 18 Jan 2017, 21:52

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:
balls quote of Verducci wrote:Billy Wagner: Great rate stats, but Wagner never did enough heavy lifting and never changed baseball history. Wagner has the lowest ERA and lowest WHIP of any reliever with at least 900 innings except Mariano Rivera. But Wagner is tied for 141st all-time for saves of more than three outs—just 36, fewer than Armando Benitez and Frank DiPino.

What kind of criteria is this?????? Saves of more than 3 outs??? Who cares??? Saves are stupid as ithe is but this really, really takes the cake.

"Y'know, Willie Mays was good and all but how many home runs did he hit in the 8th inning of a tie game with 1 on and no one out on the day of a waxing crescent moon? He's 1st all time on waning crescent, I'll give you that but only 277th on waxing behind guys like Rafael Belliard and Paul O'Neill"

He should have quit while he was ahead with the first sentence. I know it's dickheaded of me as a Yankees fan to say relief pitchers don't really belong in the HoF but Rivera is the exception that proves the rule, but that is a price I am willing to pay
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 18 Jan 2017, 21:58

Dthefritz wrote:

He should have quit while he was ahead with the first sentence. I know it's dickheaded of me as a Yankees fan to say relief pitchers don't really belong in the HoF but Rivera is the exception that proves the rule, but that is a price I am willing to pay

"Never changed baseball history" is another horrible and nebulous benchmark. He was part of a combined no hitter, that's history! And if you're ahead of everyone noto named Mariano Rivera in a couple of stats, I mean....

(Note:not arguing for or against Wagner, don't really care, but the arguments put forward are just.....)
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby Dthefritz » 18 Jan 2017, 22:02

Dthefritz wrote:

"Never changed baseball history" is another horrible and nebulous benchmark. He was part of a combined no hitter, that's history! And if you're ahead of everyone noto named Mariano Rivera in a couple of stats, I mean....

(Note:not arguing for or against Wagner, don't really care, but the arguments put forward are just.....)

Well it's terrible writing, that I agree with 100%. I think what he's really trying to say is RIvera or bust for the HOF when it comes to relievers, and I agree with that. He's just doing a horrible job getting that point across.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby TheWolf » 18 Jan 2017, 22:07

The "never changed history" comment really bothered me. That's the criteria now, huh? Ok.

Balls is right about this shit. I can't even anymore.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Dthefritz » 18 Jan 2017, 22:20

TheWolf wrote:The "never changed history" comment really bothered me. That's the criteria now, huh? Ok.

Balls is right about this shit. I can't even anymore.

Oof. Sorry I turned off the hypercritical "sportswriter are complete asshats" part of my brain just so I could indulge in some homerism. I promise [note: no I don't] that it will never happen again.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby mister bacon » 18 Jan 2017, 23:37

i have some thoughts on this. y'all really aren't going to like them though.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

bostonsucksmyballs wrote: I dont want to lose cred here.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Dthefritz » 18 Jan 2017, 23:58

mister bacon wrote:i have some thoughts on this. y'all really aren't going to like them though.

Nice building yourself up, Jaskip Whitbayless. Why don't you get to the fucking point? Which is, I assume we're all RAYCESS for not voting in Bonds, when we let Rodriguez and Bagwell in. Which is probably right in the case of Pudge who was implicated by Canseco and dropped like 70 zillion pounds the year they instituted testing. Bagwell, while suspicious, isn't exactly an open and shut case.

Or maybe that wasn't your point at all. I'd know if you just come out and said it.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby JichaelDick » 19 Jan 2017, 05:56

mister bacon wrote:i have some thoughts on this. y'all really aren't going to like them though.

Lemme guess...Rock Raines didn't belong in.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 19 Jan 2017, 07:43

balding Pudge is not a good look, looks ready to get me into a 2010 Camry, no money down and just 1.9% interest!

The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby Rodney Farva » 19 Jan 2017, 07:48

going back to the verducci article, the way he went on and on trying to justify jeff kent by the number of games he batted third or cleanup was just embarrassing.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby JT99 » 19 Jan 2017, 08:44

I may have some thoughts about your thoughts. Might post them, might not.
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

PreviousNext

Return to MLB