World Baseball Classic

Re: World Baseball Classic

Postby Durden » 10 Mar 2009, 23:21

i haven't watched much of it, but i could do without them trying so hard to play up how special it is. there was one shot of rollins and jeter talking in the dugout, and the announcer started going on about how the WBC is the only time you'd ever see "something like that" happen, in a competitive atmosphere. later, after rollins had been replaced by jeter, another guy was in awe that rollins was still cheering openly for his team to win, before reminding us incessantly how it could only happen at the WBC.

does anyone outside of the DR even give a shit that they lost to the netherlands? big fucking deal.
i used to be commander and chief of my pimp ship.

2008 Who's Now
BSMB: poor nerf. You had a fine year. One and DUN, yo.
Durden
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Chuck » 11 Mar 2009, 06:09

sportsdorkhater wrote:Netherlands knock off the DR again. Great game. "Congrats" :gay: chuck

is that former yankee prospect hensley meulens on the coaching staff?

Thank.
We're very proud.......at least the ones who care.

Love how Tom Verducci on SI is implying that Rotterdam is the Dutch capital
Chuck
Another dude worth meeting

Postby bosux » 12 Mar 2009, 19:38

from jim kaat's blog:

The Netherlands defeated the Dominican team twice to eliminate them. Both were low-scoring games, 3-2 and 2-1. Both games featured great pitching and defense which were a contrast to the high-scoring games in the Majors where the emphasis is on power and the home run. It was a humbling experience for the Dominican team. They came out during introductions with their personalized NFL-like animated fist and chest bumps. It was embarrassing for me as a former player to think they were representing Major League Baseball. I have always thought, "What would Mickey Mantle, Jackie Robinson or one of my boyhood heroes, Hank Aaron, think of me if I wore my uniform like pajamas and acted like some NFL wide receiver acts after scoring a touchdown?" I think they would have scolded me.

Costly errors and lack of situational hitting were the main reasons the Dominicans were eliminated. They looked like the strongest team in the pool and maybe in the entire Classic, but they are home because, in my opinion, of a sloppy approach to the game and an attitude of celebrating their own worth with childish antics and not paying attention to playing the game properly. The more I see of this type of behavior, the more I appreciate Derek Jeter's approach to the game and his behavior.

=D>
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
bosux
Dr. Poop

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 13 Mar 2009, 00:41

bosux191820042090 wrote:from jim kaat's blog:

The Netherlands defeated the Dominican team twice to eliminate them. Both were low-scoring games, 3-2 and 2-1. Both games featured great pitching and defense which were a contrast to the high-scoring games in the Majors where the emphasis is on power and the home run. It was a humbling experience for the Dominican team. They came out during introductions with their personalized NFL-like animated fist and chest bumps. It was embarrassing for me as a former player to think they were representing Major League Baseball. I have always thought, "What would Mickey Mantle, Jackie Robinson or one of my boyhood heroes, Hank Aaron, think of me if I wore my uniform like pajamas and acted like some NFL wide receiver acts after scoring a touchdown?" I think they would have scolded me.

Costly errors and lack of situational hitting were the main reasons the Dominicans were eliminated. They looked like the strongest team in the pool and maybe in the entire Classic, but they are home because, in my opinion, of a sloppy approach to the game and an attitude of celebrating their own worth with childish antics and not paying attention to playing the game properly. The more I see of this type of behavior, the more I appreciate Derek Jeter's approach to the game and his behavior.

=D>

Well stated =D>
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby Frank the Tank » 16 Mar 2009, 05:45

You can really tell this is a non-event when the U.S. getting mercy-ruled by Puerto Rico doesn't spur a single post.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Gregs Kite » 16 Mar 2009, 16:08

USA! USA!

Let's go American baseball team!
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby chrisco » 17 Mar 2009, 10:08

One of the nice things about an event that no one cares about is that the only people in the stands are the trophy wives/girlfriends of the players and their families. There was a lot of quality on display at the Venezuela/Puerto Rico game. Given how popular plastic surgery is in South America most of it was fake, but w.e. it was still nice to look at.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby TVF wannabe » 17 Mar 2009, 10:48

Oliver perez threw 80 fucking pitches yesterday Krod has two 4 out saves and Putz had a bases load situation with an 11 pitch duel. Fuck the WBC -and its arm killing coaches, trying to make a name for themselves- in the ear.
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 17 Mar 2009, 10:56

TVF wannabe wrote:Oliver perez threw 80 fucking pitches yesterday Krod has two 4 out saves and Putz had a bases load situation with an 11 pitch duel. Fuck the WBC -and its arm killing coaches, trying to make a name for themselves- in the ear.

I'm pretty sure they check with the players' teams to make sure about pitch counts, because of all the injury troubles from the last time.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby TVF wannabe » 17 Mar 2009, 10:59

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
TVF wannabe wrote:Oliver perez threw 80 fucking pitches yesterday Krod has two 4 out saves and Putz had a bases load situation with an 11 pitch duel. Fuck the WBC -and its arm killing coaches, trying to make a name for themselves- in the ear.

I'm pretty sure they check with the players' teams to make sure about pitch counts, because of all the injury troubles from the last time.

Reportedly the Mets are fuming RE Perez.
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

Postby Frank the Tank » 18 Mar 2009, 06:42

I don't see how the WBC will ever be anything worth anything as long as they keep having it right before the regular season.

Last night's game was apparently quite entertaining. Was it even on TV? I was listening to the 5th inning in the car and figured I'd turn it on in the hotel room, but ESPN had the NCAA play-in game and ESPN2 had the NIT. Yet another sign the WBC isn't really catching on.

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby sportsdorkhater » 18 Mar 2009, 07:07

Frank the Tank wrote:I don't see how the WBC will ever be anything worth anything as long as they keep having it right before the regular season.

Last night's game was apparently quite entertaining. Was it even on TV? I was listening to the 5th inning in the car and figured I'd turn it on in the hotel room, but ESPN had the NCAA play-in game and ESPN2 had the NIT. Yet another sign the WBC isn't really catching on.

it was on MLB Network
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn

Postby Tremendous_sidePotential » 18 Mar 2009, 09:26

Was anybody NOT expecting Wright to get the winning hit last night? Thanks a lot Mr. March.
http://7up17togo.blogspot.com/

Bricks Tue May 04, 2010 11:32 pm How many chicks have you bedded _?
_ Tue May 04, 2010 11:33 pm: i will say 27 with a confidence interval of around 97%
nerf66 Tue May 04, 2010 11:34 pm: 97% confident they were all women?
Tremendous_sidePotential
The Bomb Dick

Postby Frank the Tank » 23 Mar 2009, 05:15

Did anyone watch last night's semi-final? I can hardly wait to see the ratings for that one. I can't imagine they're any good.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Colonel Angus » 23 Mar 2009, 05:42

Frank the Tank wrote:Did anyone watch last night's semi-final? I can hardly wait to see the ratings for that one. I can't imagine they're any good.

I watched most of it. The ratings for last night will be outstanding compared to the ratings for tonight's final.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

PreviousNext

Return to MLB