Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber...the Barves

Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber...the Barves

Postby SouthernYokel » 09 Sep 2005, 08:33

So. . .since the Braves look like a cinch to win their eleventy-billionth division title, when are they gonna crash and burn? WC round? DS? NLCS? I've been watching these guys every stinking day for 15 years and with the beautiful exception of 1995, they always fuck things up. I think it's Bobby Cox. Greatest regular season manager ever, bar-none. In the playoffs, he turns into Corky. And Leo Mazzone just sits there all parkinsonsy. AUGHHH. I will now eat my own tongue.
Last edited by SouthernYokel on 29 Jul 2013, 14:41, edited 7 times in total.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Re: Atlanta Braves Collapse Countdown

Postby Frank the Tank » 09 Sep 2005, 08:34

I'm going to say NLCS. I think they have one series win in them this year.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby SouthernYokel » 09 Sep 2005, 08:39

That's what i am hoping for. I just want more than 4 games honestly. If they take the stros or padres to 4 games, i'll probably console myself with "well they took one game, thats better than last year."
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Theny » 09 Sep 2005, 08:50

SouthernYokel wrote:That's what i am hoping for. I just want more than 4 games honestly. If they take the stros or padres to 4 games, i'll probably console myself with "well they took one game, thats better than last year."

It's going to be Cards/Braves NLCS. Hey, anything can happen. The object is to get your team to the postseason. After that, it's pretty much a crap shoot. The only year the Braves legitimately choked away a series that I can remember (and its alot to remember at this point, so I could be wrong) is the '96 WS when they won the first 2 games at Yankee stadium (thanks in large part to Andruw) then proceeded to lose 4 straight. Jim Leyritz sucks.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby SouthernYokel » 09 Sep 2005, 08:55

God that was my '86 WS. The thing for me is that i am so used to disappointment with my sports teams. In my area there are: The gamecocks (no bowl game in 3 yrs, never won a natl champ or the sec), Atlanta (one world series in 13 playoff appearances), the falcons (until vick atrocious, after vick still cant get to the big game), the panthers (one heartbreaking SB loss, nothing else close), the Hawks (dominique wilkins is the only positive thing i can think of), the Thrashers (whoops), and the new Bobcats (time will tell, but it doesn't look good). I am bred for disappointment.
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Frank the Tank » 09 Sep 2005, 08:56

SouthernYokel wrote:the new Bobcats (time will tell, but it doesn't look good).

Trust in Emeka.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby SouthernYokel » 09 Sep 2005, 08:57

he looks fragile. good player, but his back is a string of angel hair pasta.
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Rickey Sez » 09 Sep 2005, 09:45

SouthernYokel wrote:he looks fragile. good player, but his back is a string of angel hair pasta.

His back is strong like bull.
I'd like to see a pair of boobs that would prompt me to write home. Maybe Scarlett Johannson level quality? "Dear Mom and Dad, I saw an awesome rack today. They were perfect. Everything else is fine. Love, BD79."
Rickey Sez
( O )( O )

Postby ron caron » 09 Sep 2005, 10:01

I generally dislike the Braves, their in-town fans (the ones who can't be bothered to attend games until the NLCS while fans like SY and Theny are following every game from other states plus all who do the dumb chop), and especially Larry Jones, however, in fairness I don't think you can refer to their playoff losses as "collapses". Certainly nothing like last year's Evil Empire. Like them or not, the Braves are a model franchise from the front office down to coaching staff that always puts themselves in position to win it all (ouch, that hurt to type). I'm going to say they lose to the Redbirds in the NLCS this year in a 6- or 7-game series.

My other Braves comment is that I wish Hudson had a better WHIP for the sake of my fantasy team, but I appreciate the solid work he's done since returning from his injury.
ron caron
Pink Helmet

Postby SouthernYokel » 09 Sep 2005, 10:13

Hudson's been a rock. Can you imagine if he got hurt during this season? That rotation would look pretty thin. "collapse" was a poor word to use; i just wanted to express my displeasure on the braves' usual #1 or #2 seed in the playoffs, followed by an immediate drubbing by the wild card team.
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Theny » 09 Sep 2005, 10:47

SouthernYokel wrote:Hudson's been a rock. Can you imagine if he got hurt during this season? That rotation would look pretty thin. "collapse" was a poor word to use; i just wanted to express my displeasure on the braves' usual #1 or #2 seed in the playoffs, followed by an immediate drubbing by the wild card team.

Hudson was hurt this year for a little while...As for the first round of the playoffs, if the Marlins win the wild card Atlanta would play the Padres. If Houston wins the wild card the Braves play them. Historically the Braves have made the Astros their bitch, but lost to them last year. Anyone playing the Marlins in the postseason should be very afraid. Neither of these scenarios are very enticing for my Bravos, but at least if we play the Padres we'll get to the NLCS. So, GO MARLINS!!!
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby SouthernYokel » 09 Sep 2005, 10:51

Theny wrote:Hudson was hurt this year for a little while...As for the first round of the playoffs, if the Marlins win the wild card Atlanta would play the Padres. If Houston wins the wild card the Braves play them. Historically the Braves have made the Astros their bitch, but lost to them last year. Anyone playing the Marlins in the postseason should be very afraid.

Yeah, I don't like playing Houston OR the Marlins. The SP is too good on both of those teams. Houston is a better option because of the inept batting (florida is bad too, but you get the feeling that their bats are just sleeping, while houston's are dead). At any rate, it'll be houston in the WC just because all the NL east teams have to kick the crap out of each other in the last 25 games. All houston has to do is play .501 ball and they should get it.
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Theny » 09 Sep 2005, 11:07

SouthernYokel wrote:
Theny wrote:Hudson was hurt this year for a little while...As for the first round of the playoffs, if the Marlins win the wild card Atlanta would play the Padres. If Houston wins the wild card the Braves play them. Historically the Braves have made the Astros their bitch, but lost to them last year. Anyone playing the Marlins in the postseason should be very afraid.

Yeah, I don't like playing Houston OR the Marlins. The SP is too good on both of those teams. Houston is a better option because of the inept batting (florida is bad too, but you get the feeling that their bats are just sleeping, while houston's are dead). At any rate, it'll be houston in the WC just because all the NL east teams have to kick the crap out of each other in the last 25 games. All houston has to do is play .501 ball and they should get it.

I don't know...the Phils, Nats, and Mets are D-U-N Done. I could see the Marlins finishing very strong this year, which is bad news. Bottom line is, I'd rather the Braves face the Padres than the Astros.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby SouthernYokel » 09 Sep 2005, 11:12

I agree that philly wash and ny are out of it, but i think they're good enough to take a couple of series from the marlins between the 3 of them. That leaves Houston with a straight shot if they can take out the lowly NL central (minus that 3 game set with the cards).
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Theny » 09 Sep 2005, 11:30

Braves win the WS. End of story. :lol:
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Next

Return to MLB