Baseball Prospects

Postby Snake » 15 Jun 2005, 23:12

I've never been there so I wouldn't know. I do know that Jon Gruden is a piece of shit though.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby Theny » 16 Jun 2005, 07:48

You're probably right, Snake. But he's certainly better than Callahan or Norv Freakin' Turner.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Nelson Muntz » 16 Jun 2005, 09:47

Theny wrote:Norv Freakin' Turner

[My buddy Hopper] The coach... is... KILLING me. [/My buddy Hopper]
Nelson Muntz
Another dude worth meeting

Postby Theny » 16 Jun 2005, 09:50

That was an SG classic for sure. Norv Turner sucks.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Briandong79 » 16 Jun 2005, 14:06

Has anyone else noticed that it now says "Theny Yankee" on Theny's posts.

Keep posting Theny, you need to get off Yankee level.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Snake » 16 Jun 2005, 18:06

Theny wrote:You're probably right, Snake. But he's certainly better than Callahan or Norv Freakin' Turner.

At least Callahan and Turner aren't also responsible for the player personnel moves, so they only suck half as much as Gruden.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby Theny » 17 Jun 2005, 08:23

Well, Snake, when the Dolphins were choking their way out of the playoffs every year, I never envisioned one of the main architects of their girly 4th quarter play calling would be running a team like the Raiders. I can't imagine seeing the "Snake Face" when Al Davis announced that move. But hey, it's not my problem anymore.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Tecmo Bo » 17 Jun 2005, 13:02

I hope you Mainers have been checking out the Sox' AA affiliate in portland. Thier roster is pretty stacked with hot Sox prospects. Papelbon, Lester and Delcarmen have all been dealing. Hanley and Pedroia have been hitting pretty much all year and Brandon Moss is starting to come around in a big way.
There's also Charlie Zink who isn't pitching great, but hell, he's a knuckleballer so you never know...
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby Theny » 17 Jun 2005, 13:09

I find it fascinating how much attention RSN pays to its minor league system when you know they're just trade bait for the next free agent that comes along. It's not a situation like the Braves trying to win another division title with 7 freaking rookies, you guys are never going to see 90% of these minor leaguers.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Tecmo Bo » 17 Jun 2005, 13:37

In some cases, that's absolutely true. In others, it's not. Dustin Pedroia will probably be their starting 2b next year. Many Sox fans would have preferred to see Hanley Ramirez as the SS over Renteria next year (he may still end up playing a role at 3B or CF). Moss is probably going to be trade bait. One of the pitchers could possibly take a spot in the rotation in 2006 (such as Wells' spot) or be used in Long relief or setting up (Papelbon was a closer in college) until a spot opens up.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby howboutafrescahmmm » 17 Jun 2005, 13:56

Tecmo Bo wrote:I hope you Mainers have been checking out the Sox' AA affiliate in portland. Thier roster is pretty stacked with hot Sox prospects. Papelbon, Lester and Delcarmen have all been dealing. Hanley and Pedroia have been hitting pretty much all year and Brandon Moss is starting to come around in a big way.
There's also Charlie Zink who isn't pitching great, but hell, he's a knuckleballer so you never know...

If it ever stops raining we might be able to hitch up the wagon and go see a game or two.
"The Yankees have that guy (Tony) Womack playing left field," Henderson said. "If I can't play that position at least as well as he can, I'll hang up the spikes right now.'' ? Rickey Henderson.
howboutafrescahmmm
Etiquette Instructor

Postby JohnnyDamon » 22 Jun 2005, 08:37

Theny wrote:No, I know who won the 1992 WS, I was talking about your Wrestling Analogy for the 1991 World Series, since neither team was defending champs that year.

OK, here's what I mean. Even though the Twins had finished dead last the year before, they had won a title only four years earlier. Meanwhile, after 1983, the Braves were stuck between "sucky" and "downright atrocious." I guess the better analogy would have been the Braves were Rocky to the Twins Apollo Creed. The Twins, with Kirby Puckett and Jack Morris, were easily the favorite, but Atlanta showed more guts by losing the way they did rather than getting blown out. I was only 5 when it occurred, but I distinctly remember watching every single game of that World Series in its entirety, and thinking this was the best baseball I had ever seen.
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby Theny » 22 Jun 2005, 09:08

JohnnyDamon wrote:
Theny wrote:No, I know who won the 1992 WS, I was talking about your Wrestling Analogy for the 1991 World Series, since neither team was defending champs that year.

OK, here's what I mean. Even though the Twins had finished dead last the year before, they had won a title only four years earlier. Meanwhile, after 1983, the Braves were stuck between "sucky" and "downright atrocious." I guess the better analogy would have been the Braves were Rocky to the Twins Apollo Creed. The Twins, with Kirby Puckett and Jack Morris, were easily the favorite, but Atlanta showed more guts by losing the way they did rather than getting blown out. I was only 5 when it occurred, but I distinctly remember watching every single game of that World Series in its entirety, and thinking this was the best baseball I had ever seen.

That's what I thought, but you said you knew the challenger would win (what happened to this thread?), which would have been the Braves, who didn't win. I get you now though. The Rocky comparison is much better.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Tecmo Bo » 22 Jun 2005, 09:40

Felix Hernandez is down with bursitis (I believe). Those of us who follow prospects know better. It's not bursitis, it's Seattlitis. Mariner prospects have to have the worst health records of any group of minor leaguers. Felix is, by all accounts, a trememdous talent, but Seattle is flat out Jinxed when it comes to prospects.

EDIT:
Jonny Gomes (remember him?) is hitting .360, 1.215OPS with 5 HR's in 50 AB's so far on the season.
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby Tecmo Bo » 22 Jun 2005, 15:51

Dustin Pedroia got promoted to AAA today.
Dustin Pedroia was moved up to Triple-A after hitting his eighth homer for Double-A Portland last night.
Pedroia, one of the game's premier second base prospects, hit .324/.409/.508 with seven steals in 66 games for Portland.

Pedroia was drafted in the second round this time last year.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/2 ... edsox.html
From BA's pre-draft work:
Scouting Report: Pedroia's tools are below-average across the board, but people have learned not to sell him short. Scouts expect him to be a big leaguer, and probably an everyday player. He's not physically gifted at 5-foot-9 and 165 pounds, but Pedroia is a classic overachiever and possibly the best player in college baseball. He has a great work ethic and exceptional sense of the game. He's hard-nosed and competitive, and without peer as a team leader. He's a blood-and-guts player who thrives under pressure and makes everyone around him better. Scouts question whether he can be an everyday shortstop on a good team because his arm and range are short, but he catches almost everything hit at him. He has sure hands, a quick release and excellent hand-eye coordination, and is adept at anticipating plays. He doesn't profile any better as a second baseman, a more offensive position. While he led the Sun Devils with a .409 average and nine home runs, he doesn't have a pretty swing and is a slap hitter. But he has good strike zone judgment and is a tough out. He struck out only 11 times while drawing 43 walks. He compares to Angels shortstop David Eckstein, though Eckstein is a better runner. On tools, Pedroia is not a high-round pick but he's a perfect fit for a performance-based organization like the Athletics, who have four of the first 40 picks.

The Eckstein comparisons were an injustice as he has, so far, shown he is a clearly superior talent to Eckstein.
Sorry for the DP, but DP deserved his own post, not just an EDIT.
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

PreviousNext

Return to MLB