Baseball Prospects

Postby Tecmo Bo » 08 Aug 2005, 13:39

I'd like to point out that Jonny Gomes, who is finally getting some regular playing time, just set a TB rookie record with his 13th HR in 172 AB's. He leads the team in OPS, slugging and is third in homeruns with 13, the two guys with 15 have more than 225 AB's more than Gomes.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby TheWolf » 08 Aug 2005, 14:48

But no one will ever know anything about him because he plays for the worst franchise in sports history.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Tecmo Bo » 09 Aug 2005, 10:19

Be fair, the Clippers have a greater history of suckitude.
Baseball history on the other hand... yeah, you've got them there.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby TheWolf » 09 Aug 2005, 10:35

Sorry Clippers, I hope you weren't offended. After all, no one other than the Clips GM has ever been described as "a veteran of the lottery process." The Rays still have a ways to go to match that ineptitude, but they're sure as hell trying.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Re: Baseball Prospects

Postby TheWolf » 28 Jun 2016, 10:16

MisterTambourineMan - Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:02 am: wolf, can i get a top 10 mlb prospects in the minors? pls and thx

The fact that I dug through 5 pages of the MLB forum to find a Prospects thread means I've already put too much effort into this assignment, but I aim to please. The caveat here is that I did very little fact checking and there's a chance some of these dudes aren't currently in the minors. But here you go...

10.) Alex Reyes, RHP, Cardinals: It would appear he's currently serving a 50-game suspension for smoking weed, and he's not exactly blowing people away with a 1.42 WHIP in 7 AAA starts. But allegedly he's got top-of-the-rotation makeup.

9.) Brendan Rodgers, SS, Rockies: Currently playing for some made-up Single-A squad called the Asheville Tourists, MLB Prospect Watch tells me he has the potential to be Tulo-lite. Probably a lazy comp because he plays the same position for the same team. But if there's any truth to it, sign me up.

8.) Trea Turner, SS/2B, Nationals: I'm all-in on this guy. There's no good reason for this, as I've never seen him play, but for some reason his was the one prospect name that really stuck when I was looking at this shit in the offseason. So I've convinced myself he's a future star just because I heard Eric Karabell or some other hump say his name a lot. Looks to be holding his own in AAA this year, and they say he's got serious wheels that should translate to big SB numbers throughout his career, in case you're looking for someone for your fake baseball team and care about such stats.

7.) Tyler Glasnow, RHP, Pirates: He's missing a ton of bats in AAA (105 Ks in 90 IP), but needs to harness his command (51 walks) to reach his potential. He's been kicking around their system for 5 years now, but has allegedly polished what were some very raw skills when they drafted him. The prevailing sentiment is that if he can refine a 2nd/3rd pitch to go with the swing and miss fastball, he's a future ace.

6.) Joey Gallo, 3B/OF, Rangers: I'm done with this loser. I feel like he's been the next big thing for like 8 years (apparently he was only drafted in 2012, but it's been a long 4 years). He's hitting .250 in the fucking PCL for fuck's sake. He hits the ball a million miles when he can find it, but I'm not interested. I'm probably dead wrong, and he'll end up being a perennial 40-HR threat, but I'm making a gut call that he's a 4-A guy who never puts it all together because he strikes out way too much.

5.) Dansby Swanson, SS, Braves: Dansby? Fuck you.

4.) Yoan Moncada, 2B, Red Sox: Balls says he's a future Philly. Everyone else says he's a future star. Someone compared him to Cano with more speed. Yes please. Please live up to the hype, and please stay in Boston. Failing that, please get traded for someone (fucking anyone) who is capable of getting big-league hitters out consistently, and then be a huge bust for another team.

3.) Orlando Arcia, SS, Brewers: His defense seems to be his biggest asset, but he put together a pretty nice little season at the plate last year too, hitting over .300 with 47 doubles in AA. Most importantly, "Scouts also love his makeup and maturity, and the belief is that those intangibles will allow him to make a smooth transition to the Major Leagues. It's too early to tell if he slays the same kind of tail, but with intangibles like this, calling him the Next Jeter is not unrealistic." (Editor's Note: Only part of that quote is an actual quote)

2.) J.P. Crawford, SS, Phillies: The rich just keep getting richer, amirite? Like fukcing Philadelphia really needs any more talent. What? They do need talent? Oh, OK then... He appears to have struggled since his callup to the AAA Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs (solid team name, by the way), hitting just .222 in 34 games. But he's a big part of this horrible organization's future plans, so there's that.

1.) Lucas Giolito, RHP, Nationals: He got his TJ surgery out of the way before he threw a single professional pitch. Smart move, if you ask me. Every scout alive sees this guy as a future ace, with a mid-90s fastball, devastating curve, and improving changeup. He's striking out a batter an inning in AA this year, and the consensus seems to be that he's not too far from being ready to contribute in the bigs. I'm definitely buying stock in this guy.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Colonel Angus » 28 Jun 2016, 10:18

Such bullshit that you can get 50 games for smoking weed, but I think Reyes is back from that suspension.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 28 Jun 2016, 10:21

Colonel Angus wrote:Such bullshit that you can get 50 games for smoking weed, but I think Reyes is back from that suspension.

Yeah he's back, had something like 42k in 20 some innings before getting blown up his last two starts.

Gallo sucks. Fuck Gallo.

I've bought SO MUCH Moncada stock.
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby mj3528 » 28 Jun 2016, 10:21

Needs more Clint Frazier and Bradley Zimmer. UEM knows who I mean.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby CourtesyFlush » 28 Jun 2016, 10:22

TheWolf wrote:
MisterTambourineMan - Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:02 am: wolf, can i get a top 10 mlb prospects in the minors? pls and thx

The fact that I dug through 5 pages of the MLB forum to find a Prospects thread means I've already put too much effort into this assignment, but I aim to please. The caveat here is that I did very little fact checking and there's a chance some of these dudes aren't currently in the minors. But here you go...

10.) Alex Reyes, RHP, Cardinals: It would appear he's currently serving a 50-game suspension for smoking weed, and he's not exactly blowing people away with a 1.42 WHIP in 7 AAA starts. But allegedly he's got top-of-the-rotation makeup.

I see what you did there
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby JT99 » 28 Jun 2016, 10:25

mj3528 wrote:Needs more Clint Frazier and Bradley Zimmer. UEM knows who I mean.

that is true, I do know
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby TVF wannabe » 28 Jun 2016, 14:48

1.) Lucas Giolito, RHP, Nationals: He got his TJ surgery out of the way before he threw a single professional pitch. Smart move, if you ask me. Every scout alive sees this guy as a future ace, with a mid-90s fastball, devastating curve, and improving changeup. He's striking out a batter an inning in AA this year, and the consensus seems to be that he's not too far from being ready to contribute in the bigs. I'm definitely buying stock in this guy.

He was called up and is starting as the pitcher formerly known as Matt Harvey
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

Postby Briandong79 » 28 Jun 2016, 15:27

TVF wannabe wrote:

Apparently his grandfather was Susan's dad on Seinfeld.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Colonel Angus » 28 Jun 2016, 15:32

Briandong79 wrote:
TVF wannabe wrote:

Apparently his grandfather was Susan's dad on Seinfeld.

I fear the orgasm he gave John Cheever has left him a cripple.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 02 Jul 2016, 11:41

#2C4S

Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby Rodney Farva » 02 Jul 2016, 11:57

opportunity cost might not hold up because a lot of those dudes might not be the most employable people around. while the low wages in the minors are deplorable (for everyone - team employees, umps, and players), they might as well play that lotto and see if they can end up a gazillionaire. if you wash out you're still young enough to do something else.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

PreviousNext

Return to MLB