Luther Van Dam's Coaching Smackdown

Luther Van Dam's Coaching Smackdown

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 03 Jan 2013, 15:20

Use this thread to discuss who the best coaches are now, all time, yada yada yada. Balls thinks Andy is great. Other people, not so much. What say you?

I'll start it off:

Top 5 Current Coaches (including ones just fired this week)

5. Pete Carroll
4. Mike Tomlin
3. Jim Harbaugh
2. ANDY
1. Bill Belichick
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Re: Luther Van Dam's Coaching Smackdown

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 03 Jan 2013, 15:26

You cant diminsh the job that Mike McCarthy has done in Green Bay. Also, some ppl seem to like that drug addict Sean Payton.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Jew Jitsu » 03 Jan 2013, 15:30

Mike Tomlin fucking blows dude. And yes Sean Payton is top 2 for me with Belichick
ctz31 - Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:19 pm: Also blood people told me no alcohol for 24 hours. I made it 1.5.
Jew Jitsu
Never Forgotten

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 03 Jan 2013, 15:34

SHOW YOUR WORK!!!! /bacon
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby nova » 03 Jan 2013, 15:35

1. Belichick
2. Jim Harbaugh
3. Payton
4. Carroll
5. Coughlin
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby JichaelDick » 03 Jan 2013, 15:39

1. 'Chick
2. Harbaugh
3. Coughlin
4. Mike McCarthy
5. Tomlin

HM: Mike Smith (I don't agree with everything he's done, and I know people don't think of him, but before he showed up, the Falcons had never had back-to-back winning seasons. This is the franchise's 5th-straight, and playoff struggles be damned, he's done more in Atlanta than anyone else has).
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby ctz31 » 03 Jan 2013, 15:44

So I hear some teams are interested in interviewing the Green Bay OC for a head coach job. The guy got his play calling duties yanked from him by mike malarkey when he was here, then he goes and hangs out around favre and Rodgers for a few years and now he's a genius. I realize I am not breaking ground here, but 80% of these clowns are interchangeable and dependent on a qb. I'll say 20% have a clue.
ctz31
Witty Rank TBD

Postby Briandong79 » 03 Jan 2013, 15:46

ctz31 wrote:So I hear some teams are interested in interviewing the Green Bay OC for a head coach job. The guy got his play calling duties yanked from him by mike malarkey when he was here, then he goes and hangs out around favre and Rodgers for a few years and now he's a genius. I realize I am not breaking ground here, but 80% of these clowns are interchangeable and dependent on a qb. I'll say 20% have a clue.

Joe Philbin was their OC until last year :?:
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby ctz31 » 03 Jan 2013, 15:55

Briandong79 wrote:
ctz31 wrote:So I hear some teams are interested in interviewing the Green Bay OC for a head coach job. The guy got his play calling duties yanked from him by mike malarkey when he was here, then he goes and hangs out around favre and Rodgers for a few years and now he's a genius. I realize I am not breaking ground here, but 80% of these clowns are interchangeable and dependent on a qb. I'll say 20% have a clue.

Oh. Maybe the qb coach? Tom something. I guess he made Aaron Rodgers a stud.
ctz31
Witty Rank TBD

Postby Briandong79 » 03 Jan 2013, 16:01

ctz31 wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:

Yeah, Tom Clements is their OC now, he may have been their QB coach, dunno. Agreed on the general assessment that the QB is a huge factor. That's part of the reason why I think Jim Harbaugh is terrific.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby ctz31 » 03 Jan 2013, 16:06

Briandong79 wrote:
ctz31 wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:

Yeah, Tom Clements is their OC now, he may have been their QB coach, dunno. Agreed on the general assessment that the QB is a huge factor. That's part of the reason why I think Jim Harbaugh is terrific.

Agree. I think both harbaughs are great. I don't particularly like flacco or smith and both were a couple of bonehead plays from facing each other in the Super Bowl last year.
ctz31
Witty Rank TBD

Postby jman » 03 Jan 2013, 16:17

I know the Bears are setting up an interview with Clements, along with a bunch of other OCs and guys with no head coaching experience. So they have a GM who has never been a GM before last year looking to hire a new head coach who most likely will have no prior head coaching experience. I get the feeling this may not end well.
jman
Another dude worth meeting

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 03 Jan 2013, 16:44

I heard a couple of callers and hosts say that Lovie Smith could be a good hire for the Eagles. Yeah that would be awesome.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby jman » 03 Jan 2013, 16:50

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:I heard a couple of callers and hosts say that Lovie Smith could be a good hire for the Eagles. Yeah that would be awesome.

struggling offense? undersized receivers? shitty o-line? Sounds like a Lovie kind of team.
jman
Another dude worth meeting

Postby Montecore's Revenge » 03 Jan 2013, 19:33

1. Belichick

2. Coughlin (for now)
3. Sean Payton (in absentia)
4. Jim Harbaugh (loses points only for a small sample size; could be as high as #2 in a year)
5. Mike Shanahan (gets points for having to win under Snyder, also having two rings doesn't hurt)

HM: Mike McCarthy, Jeff Fisher, Andy Reid, Peyton Manning

I think Pete Caroll has done a great job this year, and should probably get COY, but his body of work is mediocre. He needs a great playoff run or another year or two of 10+ wins to be in the Top 5 conversation. Also, Marvin Lewis is sneaky-good. Has a few clunkers on the resume, though. Next year is a big one for Tomlin. If he can preside over a successful rebuilding effort, I think he also moves up the list.

Here's my list of Top 5 NFL coaches of my lifetime:

1. Joe Gibbs (deal with it - Won Super Bowls with 3 different QBs, three different RBs, but also made playoffs with six different QBs, none of whom are HoFers)
2. Bill Belichick (loses points for getting caught cheating, otherwise nearly flawless; Tenure in Cleveland worse than Gibbs' second stint in DC)
3. Bill Walsh
4. Tom Landry
5. Don Shula (Very good, but a little overrated in general, I think)

HM: Chuck Noll (Good coach, but, if you gave me that roster, even my dumb ass could have probably won one Super Bowl)

FWIW, I think Vince Lombardi is the all-time #1.
Montecore's Revenge
The Angel of Death

Next

Return to NFL