NFL Referees

NFL Referees

Postby PornoGil » 05 Dec 2011, 12:34

Exciting new thread. Look forward to some quick breakdowns of each of the head refs in the league over the next few weeks.

Let's start with: Jeff Triplette

Image

IMO, the biggest villain of the current group of refs in the league. As I noticed during yesterday's GB-NYG game, this motherfucker seems to enjoy making and announcing calls that go against the home team. Not necessarily saying they're bad calls or anything, but if your team a just committed a back-breaking illegal contact penalty on 3rd-and-18, Triplette is the type of guy who will deliver an eff-you first down signal just when you thought you couldn't possibly be more annoyed by the whole situation.

Nobody on either team ever seems to be happy with this guy. IIRC, he is the guy Cowher chased off the field about 10 years back.

If you were allowed to bet on these types of things [/Sporty], Triplette would unquestionably be the odds-on favorite to be the next victim of a shocking act of player/coach-on ref violence. I'm talking something even more serious than when Orlando Brown almost murdered him for blinding him with a flag.

Image
User avatar
PornoGil
Basketball Jesus
 
Posts: 4582
Joined: 06 Sep 2006, 13:00

Re: NFL Referees

Postby chrisco » 05 Dec 2011, 12:38

PornoGil wrote:Exciting new thread. Look forward to some quick breakdowns of each of the head refs in the league over the next few weeks.

Let's start with: Jeff Triplette

Image

IMO, the biggest villain of the current group of refs in the league. As I noticed during yesterday's GB-NYG game, this motherfucker seems to enjoy making and announcing calls that go against the home team. Not necessarily saying they're bad calls or anything, but if your team a just committed a back-breaking illegal contact penalty on 3rd-and-18, Triplette is the type of guy who will deliver an eff-you first down signal just when you thought you couldn't possibly be more annoyed by the whole situation.

Nobody on either team ever seems to be happy with this guy. IIRC, he is the guy Cowher chased off the field about 10 years back.

If you were allowed to bet on these types of things [/Sporty], Triplette would unquestionably be the odds-on favorite to be the next victim of a shocking act of player/coach-on ref violence. I'm talking something even more serious than when Orlando Brown almost murdered him for blinding him with a flag.

Image


Was that the bullshit penalty where the guy had a minor push off around the 30? The one that looked a lot worse than it was because he was cutting in that direction anyway? After that Rodgers zipped down the field and killed any defensive momentum the Giants had.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
User avatar
chrisco
Madoff
 
Posts: 12767
Joined: 15 Mar 2007, 17:31

Re: NFL Referees

Postby Briandong79 » 05 Dec 2011, 12:39

I recognize his name and I know Hochuli, but I couldn't name another ref in the NFL. Just not something I pay attention to.

I can tell you, however, that Ed Hightower is an asshole.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31615
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: NFL Referees

Postby mj3528 » 05 Dec 2011, 12:42

Briandong79 wrote:I recognize his name and I know Hochuli, but I couldn't name another ref in the NFL. Just not something I pay attention to.

I can tell you, however, that Ed Hightower is an asshole.


Big 10 basketball fans have been complaining about him since at least the early 90's. I am amazed he is still a referee.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
User avatar
mj3528
#QM
 
Posts: 10086
Joined: 05 Mar 2008, 18:41

Re: NFL Referees

Postby Briandong79 » 05 Dec 2011, 12:45

mj3528 wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:I recognize his name and I know Hochuli, but I couldn't name another ref in the NFL. Just not something I pay attention to.

I can tell you, however, that Ed Hightower is an asshole.


Big 10 basketball fans have been complaining about him since at least the early 90's. I am amazed he is still a referee.


Agreed.

To get Gils thread back on track, do people really identify individual referees in their respective games? I just don't think its something I have ever noticed. I suspect the only reason I know Tripplette's name is because of the Zeus Brown attack.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31615
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: NFL Referees

Postby mj3528 » 05 Dec 2011, 12:46

Briandong79 wrote:
mj3528 wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:I recognize his name and I know Hochuli, but I couldn't name another ref in the NFL. Just not something I pay attention to.

I can tell you, however, that Ed Hightower is an asshole.


Big 10 basketball fans have been complaining about him since at least the early 90's. I am amazed he is still a referee.


Agreed.

To get Gils thread back on track, do people really identify individual referees in their respective games? I just don't think its something I have ever noticed. I suspect the only reason I know Tripplette's name is because of the Zeus Brown attack.


I notice Mike Carey because I think he is the only black referee. I think he does a good job keeping control of the game and moving things along.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
User avatar
mj3528
#QM
 
Posts: 10086
Joined: 05 Mar 2008, 18:41

Re: NFL Referees

Postby chrisco » 05 Dec 2011, 12:48

Briandong79 wrote:
mj3528 wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:I recognize his name and I know Hochuli, but I couldn't name another ref in the NFL. Just not something I pay attention to.

I can tell you, however, that Ed Hightower is an asshole.


Big 10 basketball fans have been complaining about him since at least the early 90's. I am amazed he is still a referee.


Agreed.

To get Gils thread back on track, do people really identify individual referees in their respective games? I just don't think its something I have ever noticed. I suspect the only reason I know Tripplette's name is because of the Zeus Brown attack.


In football not so much. In baseball more so because of the sniping that goes on between pitchers and the plate ump. In hoops and hockey, the only time I really notice a ref is if they have a notorious history with a player/team like Koharski and the Bruins or Crawford and Tim Duncan.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
User avatar
chrisco
Madoff
 
Posts: 12767
Joined: 15 Mar 2007, 17:31

Re: NFL Referees

Postby PornoGil » 05 Dec 2011, 12:49

chrisco wrote:Was that the bullshit penalty where the guy had a minor push off around the 30? The one that looked a lot worse than it was because he was cutting in that direction anyway? After that Rodgers zipped down the field and killed any defensive momentum the Giants had.

I don't know. My memory stinks, so I wasn't really referring to a specific call from yesterday. I just remember thinking during this game that I'd be really annoyed by this guy if I was pulling to the Giants.

Briandong79 wrote:I recognize his name and I know Hochuli, but I couldn't name another ref in the NFL. Just not something I pay attention to.

I used to know all of them. It's taking me a while to get used to some of these newer refs though, like that Clete Whateverhisnameis from last night's game.
User avatar
PornoGil
Basketball Jesus
 
Posts: 4582
Joined: 06 Sep 2006, 13:00

Re: NFL Referees

Postby Theny » 05 Dec 2011, 12:50

We had mike carey in the fins game yesterday. He's good.
User avatar
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy
 
Posts: 31082
Joined: 10 Jun 2005, 10:55

Re: NFL Referees

Postby Briandong79 » 05 Dec 2011, 12:53

PornoGil wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:I recognize his name and I know Hochuli, but I couldn't name another ref in the NFL. Just not something I pay attention to.

I used to know all of them. It's taking me a while to get used to some of these newer refs though, like that Clete Whateverhisnameis from last night's game.


Looking at the active rosters, I recognize more names than I thought but couldn't tell you anything about any of them.

My 2nd grade teacher was married to a guy that was an NFL official for a number of years (Bill Quinby).
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31615
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: NFL Referees

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 05 Dec 2011, 13:02

Who can forget former ref Red Cashion with his great "FIRST DOWWWNNN!" call?
User avatar
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer
 
Posts: 18758
Joined: 11 May 2007, 13:07

Re: NFL Referees

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 05 Dec 2011, 13:07

mj3528 wrote:I notice Mike Carey because I think he is the only black gay referee.


Fixed. What a lisp! /nflol
MisterTambourineMan
Now
 
Posts: 13482
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 14:25
Location: i already told you, won't tell you again

Re: NFL Referees

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 05 Dec 2011, 13:12

I dont care for that black ref that Bill refers to as "The Ladies Man", Jerome Boger? He stinks. I think he did the Eagles/Seahawks or Patriots/Eagles in the last week and a half.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
User avatar
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber
 
Posts: 31791
Joined: 26 Aug 2005, 09:59

Re: NFL Referees

Postby CourtesyFlush » 05 Dec 2011, 13:26

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:Who can forget former ref Red Cashion with his great "FIRST DOWWWNNN!" call?

He's the first one I thought of when I saw this thread. There were also some other ones who I remember from years ago--Gordon McCarter and Jerry Markbreit were the two other than Cashion I remember well.

And yeah, there are a couple black referees now...Carey and Boger. There is also a Hispanic one. I could probably name off most of them, but I'm a dork about useless information like that.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
User avatar
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends
 
Posts: 14995
Joined: 28 Oct 2007, 01:11
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: NFL Referees

Postby mister bacon » 05 Dec 2011, 22:32

i agree that carey is pretty good. boger is middle of the pack at best. hoculi was great back in the middle of the last decade, but he's dropped off since aught seven. he's now turrible.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
User avatar
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides
 
Posts: 27116
Joined: 10 Dec 2004, 17:06
Location: "The Real Racist" - Greg's Kite

Next

Return to NFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest