Playoff-Bound in '12: The Houston Texans Thread

Playoff-Bound in '12: The Houston Texans Thread

Postby Brick Tamland » 02 Aug 2008, 21:02

With FB's stunning recent revelation in the interview thread of his being a closet Texans fan, and the fact that they were almost a playoff team last year even with 3 of their 5 best players injured, I think the Texans are finally worthy of their own thread.

The hiring of Alex Gibbs to re-tool the O-line and investing their 1st round pick in a new left tackle should help keep Schaub on the field this year, where he was on fire at the beginning of the '07 season until Andre Johnson's injury. When Johnson went down, Andre Davis resurrected his career and proved a good fit in this offense, making some spectacular catches over the second half of the season. Sage Rosenfels proved to have a good grasp of the offense when he filled in for Schaub. The running game is still a question mark, with injury-prone Ahman Green and Chris Brown atop the depth chart, but there's some good young talent here in Darius Walker, Chris Taylor, and lightning-quick rookie Steve Slaton. Plus, they just signed Mike Bell to add some depth... he had success in this offense in Denver.

The defense will miss standout Dunta Robinson for the first half of the season, but the secondary isn't in too bad of shape. CB Fred Bennett had a great rookie year in '07 and the Texans signed Jacque Reeves in the offseason. Plus rookie 3rd rounder Antwaun Molden is turning heads in camp and could work his way into starting opposite Bennett. DeMeco Ryans made his 2nd straight Pro Bowl while Mario Williams had a breakout year in '07 and is pissed about not getting a Pro Bowl invite... he's developed into a leader on this team.

The Texans went 5-3 over the second half of last season and are no longer a motley bunch of journeymen and scrubs. True, they play in the toughest division in the NFL, but I think they can go 10-6 this year, splitting divisional games with the Colts (I'm not sold on Manning's knee not being an issue) and the Jags (who they always play tough in what's become a nasty rivalry) and taking both from the Titans (who I think are looking at a 5-11 type of season), and grabbing a wildcard spot. Their first 2 games, at Pittsburgh and home against the Ravens, should provide a good measuring stick for how they'll stack up this year. And their final game of the season, hosting the Bears, could have huge playoff implications in both conferences.
Last edited by Brick Tamland on 10 Nov 2008, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
](*,)

2012 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
2007 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
User avatar
Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 5435
Joined: 25 Jul 2006, 12:39
Location: In an alley, killing a guy with a trident

Re: Playoff-Bound in '08: The Houston Texans Thread

Postby CourtesyFlush » 02 Aug 2008, 22:52

I think this could be a sleeper playoff team with a pretty good defense and some weapons on the offensive side. I've had a couple of reasons for watching this team the last couple of years--Andre Johnson has been money for me in FF, and Mario's an NC State guy. When he's on he can be the most dominant defensive player in the league...he's got the physical tools to take control.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
User avatar
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends
 
Posts: 14867
Joined: 28 Oct 2007, 01:11
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Playoff-Bound in '08: The Houston Texans Thread

Postby SouthernYokel » 04 Aug 2008, 09:19

i like that they have a nearly all USC defensive backfield. Freddy B was a good draft pick, he was sliding right down the board when they picked him up.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:12 pm: I hope Jax wins next week. If the eagles lose to New England, I’m killing myself on Facebook Live
User avatar
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle
 
Posts: 30401
Joined: 08 Sep 2005, 08:09

Re: Playoff-Bound in '08: The Houston Texans Thread

Postby DirtDawg » 09 Nov 2008, 22:38

The Texans were down 19-13 with 3:01 left to play in the 3rd. Why the fuck did they let Sage Rosenfels stay in the game to keep throwing picks? The Ravens capitalized on that shit and wracked up 22 straights points in the 4th quarter.

The running game was pathetic. They only ran it 16 times total. Sage had the longest Texan run of the day with 15 yards. Damn that's terrible.
Bricks - given the opportunity I would rape your dead grandmother's corpse and burn down your house. No offense.
MTM - A saint that rapes is still saint.
User avatar
DirtDawg
Never Forgotten
 
Posts: 7664
Joined: 25 Jan 2006, 14:13
Location: RIP. Just Win, Baby

Re: Playoff-Bound in '08: The Houston Texans Thread

Postby mister bacon » 10 Nov 2008, 00:17

DirtDawg wrote:The Texans were down 19-13 with 3:01 left to play in the 3rd. Why the fuck did they let Sage Rosenfels stay in the game to keep throwing picks? The Ravens capitalized on that shit and wracked up 22 straights points in the 4th quarter.

The running game was pathetic. They only ran it 16 times total. Sage had the longest Texan run of the day with 15 yards. Damn that's terrible.



Texan Fan wrote:there's got to be some way to blame david carr for this..
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
User avatar
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides
 
Posts: 26858
Joined: 10 Dec 2004, 17:06
Location: "The Real Racist" - Greg's Kite

Re: Playoff-Bound in '18: The Houston Texans Thread

Postby Brick Tamland » 10 Nov 2008, 09:23

mister bacon wrote:
DirtDawg wrote:The Texans were down 19-13 with 3:01 left to play in the 3rd. Why the fuck did they let Sage Rosenfels stay in the game to keep throwing picks? The Ravens capitalized on that shit and wracked up 22 straights points in the 4th quarter.

The running game was pathetic. They only ran it 16 times total. Sage had the longest Texan run of the day with 15 yards. Damn that's terrible.



Texan Fan wrote:there's got to be some way to blame david carr for this..


I think Carr buried one of his white gloves in the end-zone before he left, thereby cursing the team for as long as they play at Reliant Stadium.

To answer DD.... wasn't their backup Craig Effing Nall yesterday? Schaub's hurt and Nall is listed as their 3rd QB on the team website.
](*,)

2012 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
2007 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
User avatar
Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 5435
Joined: 25 Jul 2006, 12:39
Location: In an alley, killing a guy with a trident

Re: Playoff-Bound in '18: The Houston Texans Thread

Postby Brick Tamland » 31 Dec 2008, 11:12

D-C Richard Smith is out, along with 2 D assistants... not surprising considering they gave up 30 or more points in 5 games, and let the freaking no-offense Raiders hang 27 on them. Plus Kubiak isn't happy with how slowly most of the young D players are progressing, Mario and DeMeco aside.

Moats played well in relief of Slaton, but they still need another RB. Still, much like last December, the team looks like they should have a shot at the playoffs next year (if Schaub can stay healthy).
](*,)

2012 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
2007 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
User avatar
Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 5435
Joined: 25 Jul 2006, 12:39
Location: In an alley, killing a guy with a trident

Re: Playoff-Bound in '18: The Houston Texans Thread

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 31 Dec 2008, 11:18

Has Moats been on the team all year?

Eagles should have just kept him instead of trading for Lorenzo Bust Booker.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
User avatar
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber
 
Posts: 31506
Joined: 26 Aug 2005, 09:59

Re: Playoff-Bound in '18: The Houston Texans Thread

Postby Brick Tamland » 31 Dec 2008, 11:26

They picked him up in early October and activated him at the end of the month, mostly played special teams but got some carries late after they finally put Ahman Green on IR. He looked really good against the Bears in the finale, though that's not saying much with their run D this year.
](*,)

2012 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
2007 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
User avatar
Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 5435
Joined: 25 Jul 2006, 12:39
Location: In an alley, killing a guy with a trident

Re: Playoff-Bound in '18: The Houston Texans Thread

Postby the cheese » 31 Dec 2008, 11:35

Brick Tamland wrote:D-C Richard Smith is out, along with 2 D assistants... not surprising considering they gave up 30 or more points in 5 games, and let the freaking no-offense Raiders hang 27 on them. Plus Kubiak isn't happy with how slowly most of the young D players are progressing, Mario and DeMeco aside.

Moats played well in relief of Slaton, but they still need another RB. Still, much like last December, the team looks like they should have a shot at the playoffs next year (if Schaub can stay healthy).


Did Amobye (sic) Okoye do anything this year?
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
User avatar
the cheese
The Douche
 
Posts: 18539
Joined: 30 Apr 2006, 20:40
Location: 2nd Biggest Asshole

Re: Playoff-Bound in '18: The Houston Texans Thread

Postby Brick Tamland » 31 Dec 2008, 12:12

the cheese wrote:
Brick Tamland wrote:D-C Richard Smith is out, along with 2 D assistants... not surprising considering they gave up 30 or more points in 5 games, and let the freaking no-offense Raiders hang 27 on them. Plus Kubiak isn't happy with how slowly most of the young D players are progressing, Mario and DeMeco aside.

Moats played well in relief of Slaton, but they still need another RB. Still, much like last December, the team looks like they should have a shot at the playoffs next year (if Schaub can stay healthy).


Did Amobye (sic) Okoye do anything this year?


Played a little better in the 2nd half but still not the progress they were hoping for out of a Top-10 pick in his 2nd year. Pretty sure his sacks and tackles were down from his rookie year. I still like that pick and think he'll become a real player, and I think his lack of progress was one of the reasons they canned Smith.
](*,)

2012 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
2007 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
User avatar
Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 5435
Joined: 25 Jul 2006, 12:39
Location: In an alley, killing a guy with a trident

Re: Playoff-Bound in '18: The Houston Texans Thread

Postby Frank the Tank » 01 Mar 2009, 17:50

Show Dan Orlovsky the money!!!!

Good to see a UConn alum get overpaid in the NFL.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
User avatar
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet
 
Posts: 31852
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:34

Re: Playoff-Bound in '18: The Houston Texans Thread

Postby DirtDawg » 02 Mar 2009, 07:28

Frank the Tank wrote:Show Dan Orlovsky the money!!!!

Good to see a UConn alum get overpaid in the NFL.


The irony of another overpaid UConn alum commenting on that made me chuckle.

I keed, I keed, Tanklin.....
Bricks - given the opportunity I would rape your dead grandmother's corpse and burn down your house. No offense.
MTM - A saint that rapes is still saint.
User avatar
DirtDawg
Never Forgotten
 
Posts: 7664
Joined: 25 Jan 2006, 14:13
Location: RIP. Just Win, Baby

Re: Playoff-Bound in '18: The Houston Texans Thread

Postby Brick Tamland » 02 Mar 2009, 10:21

Hopefully they'll fit him for a shock collar to let him know where the back of the endzone is. I really thought they'd go after Chris Simms, especially since Kyle Shanahan is his BFF.
](*,)

2012 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
2007 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
User avatar
Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 5435
Joined: 25 Jul 2006, 12:39
Location: In an alley, killing a guy with a trident

Re: Playoff-Bound in '18: The Houston Texans Thread

Postby Frank the Tank » 02 Mar 2009, 12:42

DirtDawg wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:Show Dan Orlovsky the money!!!!

Good to see a UConn alum get overpaid in the NFL.


The irony of another overpaid UConn alum commenting on that made me chuckle.

I keed, I keed, Tanklin.....


No apology necessary. Me FTW!!!
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
User avatar
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet
 
Posts: 31852
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:34

Next

Return to NFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest