Patriots v. The Eagles

Patriots v. The Eagles

Postby Tecmo Bo » 23 Jan 2005, 21:51

So the Pats held the best Offense (the Colts) to 3 points and gunned the 'best D in the playoffs' for 41 points. This team just takes guys apart. The team that does nothing but winthe big game is about to take on the team that can never get it's act together in the big game.

My Pick: Pats 35 - Eagles 7
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby jack_daniels » 23 Jan 2005, 22:06

You're not giving Philly enough credit:

My pick: 37 Pats- 10 Philly
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby WampaOne » 23 Jan 2005, 22:25

early lines:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs0 ... id=1973818
Pats favored by 6 in some, 6? on others.
Over under from 46 to 48...
2013 SOTSG NFL PICK 'EM Champion
2006 World Cup Fantasy Champion

Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns
WampaOne
Friend of Lohan

Postby jack_daniels » 24 Jan 2005, 00:49

I actually feel pretty bad for Big Ben. He seemed like the type of guy that genuinely deserved to win. I would even go as far as to say that, if any team had to beat us, I would have been glad it be Steel Town.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby Snake » 24 Jan 2005, 01:25

He didn't have a chance. This game was over after the first pass. Big Ben is a nice player and once he has some more games under his belt he should be a great quarterback, but he didn't have a chance today. Also I'm looking forward to seeing the Pats demolish the Eagles in the Super Bowl. It should be a lot of fun, I'm just hoping we don't get a bunch of black quarterback retrospectives since everyone seems to be making such a big deal out of Donovan McNabb being just the third black QB to reach the Super Bowl (funny, I don't remember hearing anything about Steve McNair being the second QB to make it back in `99, have race relations slipped again?).
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby Frank the Tank » 24 Jan 2005, 07:02

I agree he didn't have a chance, but I think the game truly ended with the long interception return for a TD in the second half. The Steelers had a legitimate chance to cut the lead to seven there, but all of a sudden they were headed into the locker room down 21. That was the moment that I, as a Steelers fan, felt my last shred of hope die.

While I'm disappointed in the result, there's no doubt in my mind the better team won. I think the Patriots will win, but I think the Eagles will get score numerous times. I'm going to say 45-31 Pats. I'll be betting one of those over props where you can get +180 or better by taking a skewed O/U line.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Tecmo Bo » 24 Jan 2005, 11:17

I didn't see any closeup of 'Burger, but he had to be wearing the Peyton manning Face late in that game. He got picked 3 times and he came really close at least 4 other times, halfway through the third, he seemed almost afraid to throw the ball.

I think the biggest play was when Cowher went chickenshit and didn't go for it on 4th and goal from inside the 5. Just put your tail between your legs and run away why don't you?
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby Frank the Tank » 24 Jan 2005, 11:31

I didn't really have a problem with Cowher going for the FG in that situation down 14 early in the 4th quarter. My problem there was the play calling on the first three plays with 1st and Goal at the 5. If you've decided to kick it on 4th you need to take some valid shots at the end zone on the first three downs. They tried runs up the middle (where the Patriots stacked the defense) on 1st and 3rd and tried that little flutter plass to Burress on 2nd. I think they were too scared of turning it over and forgot that they desperately needed seven there. Playing not to make the big mistake bites a lot of teams that are up 14 points. To play that way while down 14 is just stupid.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby bringbackthewhalers » 24 Jan 2005, 11:34

I agree, in that situation you NEED to come out of there with points and they werent gonna run it in, plus Ben was terrified to throw the ball at that point. Overall, I think Cowher solidified his place on the next Manifesto...he's become the Rectum of coaches.
Fidem Servavi.
bringbackthewhalers
Hope College Alum

Postby JohnnyDamon » 24 Jan 2005, 12:01

Yeah, although with all the momentum they had, it would have made sense for them to go for it at that point. When Cowher didn't, I knew then that the game was over.
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby nerf66 » 24 Jan 2005, 12:48

I saw a clip of the 'Burger's interview after the game. He didn't look upset.....at all.
nerf66
Yellow Jacket

Postby Tecmo Bo » 24 Jan 2005, 13:59

When I saw them not go for it I thought to myself "Somewhere, Gregg Easterbrook is writing GAME OVER in his notebook". It was a cowardly, cowardly play.

Nerf... how often does Rectum look upset after losing to the Pats? he just wears that stupid grin...
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby lefthandeddonkeypunch » 24 Jan 2005, 14:31

I am so sick of this Patriots smugness. They played a good game and they deserved to win. But, the game was NOT over after the first INT, nor was it over at halftime. I agree w/ Frank the Tank, it was over when the Steelers kicked the FG at the beginning of the fourth quarter. The play calling there stunk. A play-action pass would have put them in the end zone, I think. Until then it was still wide open and momentum was on Pittsburg's side. The Patriots looked vulnerable during the second half - this team can be beat. It is just frustrating that the NFL has become so mediocre that no team can seem to do it. The Patriots are good relative to the NFL as it is now, but really are not like the dominant teams of the past.

I am very VERY impressed w/ Roethlisslkfslsflkjdfiifburger - he kept throwing the ball in the second half and helped shift the momentum and bring his team back. I very much disagree - I don't think he ever looked afraid to throw. Again, this is that Pats' fan bravado talking. (Reminds me a lot of how Yankee fans like to talk...) Ben showed a lot of poise and control out there, and made some very nice throws even after getting picked a couple of times. He plays the game like a man, takes the credit/blame like a man, and should have a long, solid career.
lefthandeddonkeypunch
Yankee

Postby Adam Carolla » 24 Jan 2005, 14:35

Did anyone pay any attention to Corey Dillon's attempt to drill the ball into the Steeler logo after his TD? Apparently Big Ben wasn't the only one having trouble keeping the ball from sailing - the ball got away from Dillon and came within about a foot of clearing the fence and absolutely smashing some fan's face in. Almost hilarious!
Adam Carolla
Another dude worth meeting

Location: Bringing this ice cream maker all the way from Bespin to pegs near you in 2009.

Postby lefthandeddonkeypunch » 24 Jan 2005, 14:45

I did see that - usually doesn't that sort of thing get an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty (or is that only when T.O. does that because he isn't on the NFL's golden-child team?)
lefthandeddonkeypunch
Yankee

Next

Return to NFL