The Green and Gold (Packers) That's What CheeseHead

The Green and Gold (Packers) That's What CheeseHead

Postby Dr. Spaceman » 26 Apr 2007, 21:08

I really didn't see any threads regarding the Packers so here goes....

Packers make offer for Larry Johnson

By Todd Korth
, packrepted@aol.com
Posted Apr 26, 2007

PackerReport.com has confirmed that the Green Bay Packers have made an offer with the Kansas City Chiefs to acquire Larry Johnson. What are the Packers dangling in front of the Chiefs for the Pro Bowl running back? Read on.

A source outside of the Chiefs organization informed Scout.com?s Warpaint Illustrated this morning that the Packers have offered their first overall pick (16th overall) and fourth round pick (112th overall) in this weekend?s NFL draft for Johnson, who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after the 2007 season.

The Packers are seeking a running back to fill the vacancy left by Ahman Green, who signed as a free agent with the Houston Texans in March. Johnson, who turns 28 on Nov. 19, reportedly wants out of Kansas City, and the Chiefs are unwilling to meet his contract demands that exceed the eight-year, $65 million deal that league MVP LaDainian Tomlinson received two years ago. It is believed that Johnson wants an eight-year, $85 million contract.

If the Packers and Chiefs agree on a trade, it is likely that a verbal agreement on a contract between Johnson and the Packers would have to be in place. Messages left with Johnson?s agent, Alvin Keels, were not returned today.

The Cleveland Browns, Tennessee Titans, Buffalo Bills and possibly New York Giants also have shown interest in Johnson, according to reports.

Vernand Morency, Noah Herron, P.J. Pope and Arliss Beach are currently Green Bay?s top running backs. Only Morency has starting experience ? two games last season. The Packers are expected to select California?s Marshawn Lynch with the 16th overall pick ? if they don?t deal their pick away.

Johnson was selected in the first round (27th overall) by the Chiefs in the 2003 NFL Draft. He worked his way into the starting lineup in 2004 behind Priest Holmes, and has rushed for more than 1,700 yards in each of his last two seasons, and 37 touchdowns. However, Johnson is not the best blocker and sometimes has problems catching the ball out of the backfield.

The Chiefs have tried to work out a deal with Johnson, but Chiefs insiders say that the running back will not be in uniform for Kansas City in 2007.

Either they are using this as leverage for Moss, or are serious....either way I really would love to get either Moss or Johnson - preferably Johnson...
Dr. Spaceman
Pink Helmet

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 27 Apr 2007, 10:01

KC probably realizes LJ has 2 good years left tops, thanks to Herm. So why break the bank.....
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Theny » 27 Apr 2007, 10:03

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:KC probably realizes LJ has 2 good years left tops, thanks to Herm. So why break the bank.....

That, and I get the feeling KC's o-line helped him more than people think. I wouldn't give up that much for him.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby DirtDawg » 27 Apr 2007, 10:08

LJ is turning 29 next year; he's not a kid anymore.

Why sign him to a deal that pays him a $15 million dollar signing bonus if he'll be broken down in about 2 years (or less?)
Bricks - given the opportunity I would rape your dead grandmother's corpse and burn down your house. No offense.
MTM - A saint that rapes is still saint.
DirtDawg
Never Forgotten

Postby Brick Tamland » 27 Apr 2007, 10:36

DirtDawg wrote:LJ is turning 29 next year; he's not a kid anymore.

Why sign him to a deal that pays him a $15 million dollar signing bonus if he'll be broken down in about 2 years (or less?)

To placate Favre and get him to stay a couple more years?
](*,)

2012 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
2007 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick

Postby SouthernYokel » 27 Apr 2007, 10:54

GB doesn't have to do that though, that city will come watch that team in full force whether they have Farve or Manning or (Smithers, what's one of the bad players' names? Weinke, sir.). . .Weinke.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby DirtDawg » 27 Apr 2007, 10:57

SouthernYokel wrote:GB doesn't have to do that though, that city will come watch that team in full force whether they have Farve or Manning or (Smithers, what's one of the bad players' names? Weinke, sir.). . .Weinke.

Excellent!

Bricks - given the opportunity I would rape your dead grandmother's corpse and burn down your house. No offense.
DirtDawg
Never Forgotten

Postby Brick Tamland » 27 Apr 2007, 11:00

SouthernYokel wrote:GB doesn't have to do that though, that city will come watch that team in full force whether they have Farve or Manning or (Smithers, what's one of the bad players' names? Weinke, sir.). . .Weinke.

It's not a matter of keeping the city interested (like there's anything else to do in GB) but rather to keep the team/city in the national spotlight, and to give them time to build a decent enough team to take one last run at a championship before 5 finally does retire.
](*,)

Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick

Postby SouthernYokel » 27 Apr 2007, 11:02

Brick Tamland wrote:

It's not a matter of keeping the city interested (like there's anything else to do in GB) but rather to keep the team/city in the national spotlight, and to give them time to build a decent enough team to take one last run at a championship before 5 finally does retire.

they're gonna need more than a prima-donna running back/crazy wide receiver to do that. If i were them i'd be looking at giving up a couple picks to get joe thomas.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Briandong79 » 27 Apr 2007, 11:04

Brick Tamland wrote:

Isn't he #4?
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Brick Tamland » 27 Apr 2007, 11:06

Briandean79 wrote:
Brick Tamland wrote:

Isn't he #4?

w.e.
](*,)

Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick

Postby JichaelDick » 27 Apr 2007, 11:06

Brett Favre's #4, dood.

ETA: Rumsfelded again, naturally.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby DirtDawg » 27 Apr 2007, 11:19

At least change your post, Brick. Show the guy some respect...
DirtDawg
Never Forgotten

Postby Dr. Spaceman » 27 Apr 2007, 12:37

to alleviate some if the age concern on the Johnson thing take a look at his stats, he only has two years with a heavy work load, because he sat early on....
The guy is a PROVEN commodity, much more so than anyone on the roster, that they could sign in free agency, or anyone they could draft...

he seems like the perfect type of back for the zone blocking scheme, and with 41 catches for 410 yards last year it's clear he can catch the ball....
screen passes come back?

he would make everyone around him better - including the receivers....
with Brett here, I want to win NOW, and it's not like you have to mortgage the entire future on this guy, we have a ton of money, and the cap is only going to climb in the future....there are no real off the field issues with the guy....

come on Ted, get this done.
Dr. Spaceman
Pink Helmet

Postby Brick Tamland » 27 Apr 2007, 12:38

DirtDawg wrote:Image

At least change your post, Brick. Show the guy some respect...

NEVER!!!1!!!!11!!! [\bears fan]
](*,)

Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick

Next

Return to NFL