Dr. Snore's Annual Commentator Awards

Re: Dr. Snore's Annual Commentator Awards

Postby Briandong79 » 01 Dec 2008, 09:53

I was going to make a joke that Tim Layden must have killed Dr Z in order to get to write an article about old-time football in this week's SI (the single wing article)....turns out Zimmerman had 2 strokes a week ago. Hope he makes it back to writing.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Brick Tamland » 01 Dec 2008, 09:55

That's too bad... I really enjoy his columns/analysis.
](*,)

2012 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
2007 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick

Postby mister bacon » 02 Dec 2008, 08:59

Brick Tamland wrote:That's too bad... I really enjoy his columns/analysis.

me too, only in a Dr. Z column do you get rants analogizing wine to offensive linemen.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 02 Dec 2008, 09:35

I hope he never writes again. He is atrocious.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby Brick Tamland » 02 Dec 2008, 09:38

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:I hope he never writes again. He is atrocious.

:19:
](*,)

2012 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
2007 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick

Postby D'Annunzio » 02 Dec 2008, 09:53

If he dies, he dies.

D'Annunzio

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 02 Dec 2008, 10:11

Brick Tamland wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:I hope he never writes again. He is atrocious.

:19:

you cocksucker
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby ctz31 » 26 May 2011, 08:17

From "the flaming red head's" blog linked to by schefty on twitter:

ctz31
#nnf

Postby Rodney Farva » 06 Jun 2011, 18:43

You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby DNice » 08 Jun 2011, 22:32

ctz31 wrote:From "the flaming red head's" blog linked to by schefty on twitter:

I'm quite saddened by this news. It seems that most dislike the old Z but I always enjoyed his cranky/old-man stance on things. Especially his responses to Redskins fans. If he never recovers then he will be greatly missed by this sonz!
DNice
Another dude worth meeting

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 27 Jun 2016, 08:05

It's Dr. Z week at MMQB!

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/06/26/dr-z ... er-tribute

So now the sad story about the robbery.

When Paul had his strokes and Linda needed help around their Mountain Lakes, N.J., home, she hired a local woman to help part-time with the housekeeping and with getting Paul in an out of his wheelchair when necessary. The woman became a friend and confidant. Linda loaned her money and didn’t ask for it back. They had lunches.

A few months ago, the physical strain of handling and caring for a former Stanford and Columbia offensive lineman who was more and more chair-bound became too hard. Linda needed help, and so Paul first went to Crane’s Mill for rehab and then—now—as a resident. It’s heartbreaking to both Paul and Linda that he can’t be home. But it’s necessary. Through the housekeeper/aide wasn’t really needed anymore, Linda kept her on. The woman needed the money.

• BIG SHOES TO FILL: Andy Benoit on the 12 most problematic roster holes that opened this offseason

As costs mounted—the assisted-living facility is a $100,000-a-year expense—Linda knew she’d eventually have to drain the family’s cash resources, and also cash out Paul’s substantial and beloved coin collection, some of the coins dating back centuries. One day she went to find both resources. Neither were there. Linda had hidden the money in one spot in the house, telling no one, and had hidden the coin collection in another spot in the house, telling no one. Both were gone. Linda searched and searched, and searched her brain too. Whatever could she have done with them? She and a friend asked the housekeeper if she had any idea where the coin collection or money could be. The housekeeper, adamantly, said she had no idea. Finally, her daughter convinced Linda to call the police.

A police officer came. He summoned a detective. Within a week, they told Linda the news: The housekeeper found the money, and found the coins, and stole them. Stole it all. The value was $25,000 officially, but the real value was far more, because most of the coins hadn’t been assessed for value in recent decades—because Paul never intended to sell them.

And how heartbreakingly stupid is this: Most of the coins were not recovered. The thief had no idea how much the coins were worth. She took most of them somewhere, and the value of the various metals was said to be high, and had most of the coins melted down for the money. One coin, Linda discovered, was worth $11,000 in the hands of the right dealer. The woman had it melted down, probably for a thousandth of its worth.

Lawyers are jousting over settlement talks, but there’s no guarantee the Zimmermans will see most or much of the money that was stolen. The housekeeper now drives a better car than Linda’s 11-year-old Camry. Which just slays Linda.

“It was such a kick in the head,” Linda said Saturday. “My friend Barbara said to me, ‘All you’ve done is cry for six months about Paul, and now this happens.’”

Linda has always been a beacon of smiles and brightness. She is still cheery, mostly. But there’s a sadness in her eyes, some because of the decline of her husband, and some because she trusted someone and got stabbed in the back for it.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Briandong79 » 27 Jun 2016, 08:33

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:It's Dr. Z week at MMQB!

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/06/26/dr-z ... er-tribute

So now the sad story about the robbery.

When Paul had his strokes and Linda needed help around their Mountain Lakes, N.J., home, she hired a local woman to help part-time with the housekeeping and with getting Paul in an out of his wheelchair when necessary. The woman became a friend and confidant. Linda loaned her money and didn’t ask for it back. They had lunches.

A few months ago, the physical strain of handling and caring for a former Stanford and Columbia offensive lineman who was more and more chair-bound became too hard. Linda needed help, and so Paul first went to Crane’s Mill for rehab and then—now—as a resident. It’s heartbreaking to both Paul and Linda that he can’t be home. But it’s necessary. Through the housekeeper/aide wasn’t really needed anymore, Linda kept her on. The woman needed the money.

• BIG SHOES TO FILL: Andy Benoit on the 12 most problematic roster holes that opened this offseason

As costs mounted—the assisted-living facility is a $100,000-a-year expense—Linda knew she’d eventually have to drain the family’s cash resources, and also cash out Paul’s substantial and beloved coin collection, some of the coins dating back centuries. One day she went to find both resources. Neither were there. Linda had hidden the money in one spot in the house, telling no one, and had hidden the coin collection in another spot in the house, telling no one. Both were gone. Linda searched and searched, and searched her brain too. Whatever could she have done with them? She and a friend asked the housekeeper if she had any idea where the coin collection or money could be. The housekeeper, adamantly, said she had no idea. Finally, her daughter convinced Linda to call the police.

A police officer came. He summoned a detective. Within a week, they told Linda the news: The housekeeper found the money, and found the coins, and stole them. Stole it all. The value was $25,000 officially, but the real value was far more, because most of the coins hadn’t been assessed for value in recent decades—because Paul never intended to sell them.

And how heartbreakingly stupid is this: Most of the coins were not recovered. The thief had no idea how much the coins were worth. She took most of them somewhere, and the value of the various metals was said to be high, and had most of the coins melted down for the money. One coin, Linda discovered, was worth $11,000 in the hands of the right dealer. The woman had it melted down, probably for a thousandth of its worth.

Lawyers are jousting over settlement talks, but there’s no guarantee the Zimmermans will see most or much of the money that was stolen. The housekeeper now drives a better car than Linda’s 11-year-old Camry. Which just slays Linda.

“It was such a kick in the head,” Linda said Saturday. “My friend Barbara said to me, ‘All you’ve done is cry for six months about Paul, and now this happens.’”

Linda has always been a beacon of smiles and brightness. She is still cheery, mostly. But there’s a sadness in her eyes, some because of the decline of her husband, and some because she trusted someone and got stabbed in the back for it.

TL;DR version:

Asked our hostess: Did you hear about Dr Z? Had a stroke, got robbed by a friend. Thought she would cry.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Rodney Farva » 27 Jun 2016, 08:34

that's really sad. it's a trap when people take on household help for the first time to treat the help like family/friends instead of employees. lending money and keeping her on when she wasn't really needed, huge mistakes.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 27 Jun 2016, 08:34

=D+=
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby TVF wannabe » 27 Jun 2016, 10:36

I always liked Dr.Z and found that story sad.

He was on ESPN once. They yanked him mid show because his answer to the biggest issue facing MLB (maybe sports in general) was steroids, this was in the early 90's.
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

PreviousNext

Return to NFL