Dr. Snore's Annual Commentator Awards

Dr. Snore's Annual Commentator Awards

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 26 Jan 2006, 12:23

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/w ... index.html

Brian Baldinger and Kenny Albert got.........FOUR FUCKING STARS out of 5. Kenny Albert!!!!! This Dr Z is a mental patient.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Re: Dr. Snore's Annual Commentator Awards

Postby Montecore's Revenge » 26 Jan 2006, 12:41

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/dr_z/01/26/announcer.grades/index.html

Brian Baldinger and Kenny Albert got.........FOUR FUCKING STARS out of 5. Kenny Albert!!!!! This Dr Z is a mental patient.

The difference between SI and TSN for me has always been this: If you want the best writers, read SI. If you want the best sports, read TSN. In a creative writing contest, the SI guys would win, hands down. But their analysis (especially the older guys like Zimmerman) always left me scratching my head, thinking, "He just said X, but he's a pro and I'm just a fan. He MUST know more than I do, right?"

Keep in mind that Zimmerman picked the Bills to win the Super Bowl four years in a row, and also predicted Dan Marino wouldn't have much of a future as an NFL quarterback in Miami. He's not particularly insightful, in my opinion.

Also, was it just me, or did these ratings hinge almost entirely around how much the color guy talked about line play?
Montecore's Revenge
The Angel of Death

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 26 Jan 2006, 12:50

Yes, Dr Z is obsessed with line play. You cant take Z seriously. I just noticed that he has Dick Stockton at 3.5 stars, above Buck and Aikman, and Nantz and Simms(these are the only 2 teams I find tolerable at all). This is the only Dr Z article I even glance at every year, just to torture myself I suppose.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby SouthernYokel » 26 Jan 2006, 13:12

Buck and aikman belong at the bottom. Joe Buck is ALWAYS obviously openly praying for something disastrous to happen to one of the teams so he can start the second guess bus. And Aikman had about six too many concussions.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:12 pm: I hope Jax wins next week. If the eagles lose to New England, I’m killing myself on Facebook Live
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby nova » 26 Jan 2006, 13:14

SouthernYokel wrote:Buck and aikman belong at the bottom. Joe Buck is ALWAYS obviously openly praying for something disastrous to happen to one of the teams so he can start the second guess bus. And Aikman had about six too many concussions.

Joe Buck and Troy Aikman could be replaced with Mike Greenberg and former president Gerald Ford, and nobody would know the difference.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby SouthernYokel » 26 Jan 2006, 13:16

Gerald Ford dead today, after being eaten by wolves.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:12 pm: I hope Jax wins next week. If the eagles lose to New England, I’m killing myself on Facebook Live
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby JichaelDick » 26 Jan 2006, 13:18

He was delicious

And, for the record, I thought he vastly underrated Simms and Nantz. And, being stuck with Albert and Baldinger for a lot of NFC South games, I'll admit to liking Albert (although his voice is a bit annoying), but Baldinger sucks. He was dead on about the Sunday Night Crew, though.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby ONTB » 26 Jan 2006, 13:19

Dr. Z, right on again with this announce stuff. If only the ESPN crew could get negative stars. And how the Jim Nantz and Phil Simms crew got even one star, much less two, I'll never know.
[Mon 0:15] ONTB: Why can't the whole fucking cast come up? I want to hear what Marky Marky has to say
[Mon 0:16] Clayton Bigsby: "i'd like to thank the funky bunch"
ONTB
The Bomb Dick

Re: Dr. Snore's Annual Commentator Awards

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 26 Jan 2006, 13:19

Montecore's Revenge wrote:
Also, was it just me, or did these ratings hinge almost entirely around how much the color guy talked about line play?

I find the above sentence to be cogent.
Gregs Kite - Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm: I hate DJ and his stupid face and hes so stupid and I want to punch him
Dr Jeckyll
Never Forgotten

Postby Snake » 27 Jan 2006, 00:03

ONTB wrote:Dr. Z, right on again with this announce stuff. If only the ESPN crew could get negative stars. And how the Jim Nantz and Phil Simms crew got even one star, much less two, I'll never know.

I'm starting to think that it's actually their schtick to suck on ESPN Sunday nights. This Al Michaels/Joe Theismann booth has the potential to be worse than Boomer Esiason. Where's Frank Gifford when you need him?
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby Briandong79 » 27 Jan 2006, 01:11

I'm personally a huge fan of Dr Z and I think his reasoning is generally pretty sound. However, he definitely comes across as his opinion is 100% correct sometimes. Overall, though, I'm very glad he does these ratings and I think they're pretty damn accurate.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Rodney Farva » 27 Jan 2006, 07:02

Snake wrote:
ONTB wrote:Dr. Z, right on again with this announce stuff. If only the ESPN crew could get negative stars. And how the Jim Nantz and Phil Simms crew got even one star, much less two, I'll never know.

I'm starting to think that it's actually their schtick to suck on ESPN Sunday nights. This Al Michaels/Joe Theismann booth has the potential to be worse than Boomer Esiason. Where's Frank Gifford when you need him?

Driving his little mercedes convertible into a bridge abutment.

I didn't see enough games to say one way or the other on his ratings, but I think Z is looking at it far differently that we are. He's looking solely for information, preferably for his charts (he loves any play-by-play guy who gives down and distance on each spot, for example), and as already stated, for intricacies of line play. I think you and me are looking for guys who are just entertaining enough but not smarmy, generally knowledgeable, who don't make big screw-ups and who don't miss the blatantly obvious. So we might hate, say, Baldinger, because he's an honors graduate of the Bill Maas School of Ripping Off Matt Millen Ripping Off John Madden and Auto Repair, while he might talk enough about line play to make Z happy.

I like Z, I think he's a gifted writer, and I think he's still the best football writer going, quirks and all. I particularly like his own all-pro selections, because he does break down a hell of a lot of games and plays, and goes solely on that year's performance.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Philly FUPA » 27 Jan 2006, 11:49

I love Dr. Z because he actually sticks to his opinions when he writes. He may be completely batty with some ideas, but he doesn't attempt to justify his previous statements in later articles or pat himself on the back when he is right. How many articles by these "analysts" spend an inordinate amount of time covering their asses for stupid predictions and contrarian arguments that are proven wrong? Or make numerous blanket statements so that when one out of ten comes to fruition, he can masterbaute about it for 3,000 words? As for the announcer ratings, I think he was pretty dead-on outside Alberts and Baldinger. Baldinger is so bad it is borderline evil.
SouthernYokel- FSU girls are overexposed. They're hot, but they're not as hot as everyone says. And that cowboy girl is rifuckingdiculously artificial. Not saying i wouldn't break her cervix, but i likes a natural girl.
Philly FUPA
Grantland Editor

Postby mister bacon » 27 Jan 2006, 19:06

I hate Dierdorf as much as most people hate the Theisman McGwire team.

I also hate the goose more than any man has ever hated anyone ever. I fuckin hate the goose, hes a fat idiot who just got some run in the media because he played in front for Ray Lewis. Fuck the goose.. not to mention that the man has never contributed to anything good on this planet, except the movie 25th hour.. where he got his face beaten in, which was easily the best part of a great film. Fuck the goose, there's nothing good about him or what he does.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby bostonredsox1002 » 28 Jan 2006, 10:51

Anybody wanna guess where that hands going?
Ultimate Frisbee record: 1-1
Back on track son.
bostonredsox1002
Etiquette Instructor

Next

Return to NFL