Pro Football Hall of Fame: The Only Reason to go to Canton

Pro Football Hall of Fame: The Only Reason to go to Canton

Postby Briandong79 » 24 Nov 2005, 21:45

Big class this year:
http://www.profootballhof.com/hall/rele ... se_id=1853

I love the fact that players that I distinctly remember playing in their primes are coming up for HOF eligibility now. That makes it so much more interesting to me.

Aikman and White are probably locks, and then the rest of the class is really strong. Moon, Irvin, Dent, Grimm, Derrick Thomas, Reed, etc, all deserve really strong consideration, among others.

I really think that Thurman Thomas should get in. He was unfortunate to play at the same time as Emmitt and Sanders, but he was the Marshall Faulk of his day, plus put up huge numbers in a pass-first offense. I really hope he makes it in.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Re: Pro Football Hall of Fame: Class of 2006

Postby kaskomm09 » 24 Nov 2005, 22:30

Briandean79 wrote:Aikman and White are probably locks, and then the rest of the class is really strong. Moon, Irvin, Dent, Grimm, Derrick Thomas, Reed, etc, all deserve really strong consideration, among others.

I agree with that, except I can't say I have much perspective of "how great" or whatever they were when they were playing. Nowadays, you see someone like LT doing what he's doing year in and year out and know he's something special. I don't think I understood that in the early-mid 90s when I was like 10.
kaskomm09
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Snake » 27 Nov 2005, 00:51

I'd like to see Aikman and Irvin wait until Emmitt goes in so they can go together. Derrick Thomas and Reggie White are both locks because they are dead. I'd really like to see Ray Guy and Ken Stabler get in the hall, and you gotta figure Ralph Wilson gets in. Probably Art Modell, Thurman Thomas, and Art Monk (again) will be the biggest name snubs this year.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby PhillyJim76 » 27 Nov 2005, 02:56

Snake wrote:I'd like to see Aikman and Irvin wait until Emmitt goes in so they can go together. Derrick Thomas and Reggie White are both locks because they are dead. I'd really like to see Ray Guy and Ken Stabler get in the hall, and you gotta figure Ralph Wilson gets in. Probably Art Modell, Thurman Thomas, and Art Monk (again) will be the biggest name snubs this year.

Reggie White was the greatest defensive end that ever lived!
PhillyJim76
Basketball Jesus

Postby Briandong79 » 27 Nov 2005, 02:58

PhillyJim76 wrote:
Snake wrote:I'd like to see Aikman and Irvin wait until Emmitt goes in so they can go together. Derrick Thomas and Reggie White are both locks because they are dead. I'd really like to see Ray Guy and Ken Stabler get in the hall, and you gotta figure Ralph Wilson gets in. Probably Art Modell, Thurman Thomas, and Art Monk (again) will be the biggest name snubs this year.

Reggie White was the greatest defensive end that ever lived!

For me, its strange how much people associate Reggie with the Eagles. I realize how good he was for them (the whole Reggie White-Jerome Brown Eagles were amazing), but my main concrete memories of him are with the Packers.

He's one of those guys that if he was a baseball guy, they'd be fighting over what cap he'd wear.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby theken » 27 Nov 2005, 03:01

The only reason why I knew Reggie White played for the Eagles was because of the articles I read about him after his death. Were it not for that, I would have only thought he ever played for the Packers.
theken
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby PhillyJim76 » 27 Nov 2005, 10:03

theken wrote:The only reason why I knew Reggie White played for the Eagles was because of the articles I read about him after his death. Were it not for that, I would have only thought he ever played for the Packers.

Maybe that has something to do with your age? I think, without looking it up, he started playing in 87 for the Eagles.
PhillyJim76
Basketball Jesus

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 27 Nov 2005, 11:22

People associate Reggie with the Packers only, for some reason. I think they already retired his # in Green Bay.....and come on, he dominated in Philly for 8 years, and went to GB for 4 or so years and was a part of a title. I dont think he was as good as a Packer as he was an Eagle, but players become legends as Packers, and they are just players in Philly. Its sucks, but thats the way it is. Philly needs to win a title in something. Soon, for chrissakes.
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby NYCowboy » 27 Nov 2005, 13:49

As cool as it would be for the triplets to go in together, Aikman deserves to be a first-ballot HOFer.
NYCowboy
Hope College Alum

Location: On my way out of the closet as a flaming Romosexual

Postby theken » 27 Nov 2005, 13:51

PhillyJim76 wrote:
theken wrote:The only reason why I knew Reggie White played for the Eagles was because of the articles I read about him after his death. Were it not for that, I would have only thought he ever played for the Packers.

Maybe that has something to do with your age? I think, without looking it up, he started playing in 87 for the Eagles.

Yah, it probably does. When I started playing my first NFL video game, which was Madden 64 (Nintendo 64, not 1964), Reggie was already pimping up Wisconsin.
theken
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Snake » 27 Nov 2005, 17:45

Agreed that it's all about age on Reggie. But seeing these guys I grew up watching going in is making me feel old. Also, I just don't think that the first ballot thing is that big a deal, it's probably the most overrated thing ever, a HOFer is a HOFer, and it doesn't mention how many ballots on the plaque.

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby theken » 27 Nov 2005, 19:10

But it does come with a sense of respect to the players who are inducted on their first ballot. I'm certain first ballot and third ballot makes a lot of difference to most of the players.
theken
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Snake » 28 Nov 2005, 00:57

I'm certain it does for the 2 years in between, but once they are in they are in. You gotta be a real dick to bitch about something like that once you're in.

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby Briandong79 » 04 Feb 2006, 16:37

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5305930

Aikman, White, Moon, Carson, Wright, Madden all go into the HOF. Nobody I can particularly disagree with there. Nice to see Wright get in, the Cowboys teams of the 70s are shockingly underrepresented in the HOF considering how good their teams were (the recent Patriots teams could be in for a similar situation).

I was surprised Moon made it in on the first ballot, but very happy. Carson was always the "old LB" on the Giants, I primarily remember LT, Banks and Pepper Johnson, so I really have no strong feelings about that. Madden had one of the best winning percentages of all time, plus the video game make him a deserving candidate.

As mentioned several times above, Aikman and White were locks, no surprise there.
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby God Shamgod » 04 Feb 2006, 17:52

I would have liked to have seen Derrick Thomas get in. People forget how good that guy really was.
God Shamgod
1-900-SHAMGOD

Next

Return to NFL