The Detroit Lions Thread

The Detroit Lions Thread

Postby TheDooze » 31 Jul 2005, 22:28

I wanted to start this thread so I can rant about my beloved Detroit Lions. Like you Patriots fans five years ago, my team had been run into the ground repeatedly, with our own series of comical misadventures.

However, Joey Harrington will be the man this year. Why? He passes one basic test I have for QB's: could they be in my posse of friends? An example of this is Pats QB (and U of M alum) Tom Brady. Would he fit? Hell yes. From what we've seen, he works well under pressure, is funny, has a hot girlfriend, and lives in Boston. Whereas Peyton Manning has no chance whatsoever of making the group. And Tom has three rings, while Peyton has none.

Therefore, if a quarterback has some humor skills, has a similar taste in music, came from the same area, etc. So when I found out that there is a good chance that Joey could be handing me a joint at a DMB concert, well, my confidence in him spiked dramatically. After that, when I found out that Joey broke up with his cheating fiancee with a variety of hilariously cruel and horrible means...well, more points to Joey.

But when I read Peter King's Lions camp postcard, well...

[quote=Peter King]I've got Joey Harrington for as much time as I need after practice this morning. I've got to ask him about how it feels to have a 500-pound weight on his shoulder pads -- my view is that as Harrington goes, so will the Lions go -- and about some blog stuff and about why it seems the NFL is such a giant and why the public pines for it when it's not around. Harrington's a big Red Sox fan, by the way. He had Jason Varitek and Johnny Damon out at a pre-training camp practice recently.[/quote]

Joey Harrington will be a Pro Bowler, MVP, and Super Bowl MVP in Detroit, by the time his career is over with. I'm completelyand entirely sure of this.
TheDooze
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby thedudeabides » 31 Jul 2005, 22:30

......._____wannbe........
Who wants to help me incite a liberal democratic revolution in Iran?....anyone.....anyone at all?
thedudeabides
OG's sponsor

Postby JohnnyDamon » 31 Jul 2005, 22:31

I honestly think the Lions have a shot at the NFC North this year, if Harrington is above-average. They have probably the best young nucleus of skill players in the league, and their line is only gonna get better. If this team doesn't at least go 8-8, I'll be surprised.
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby TheDooze » 31 Jul 2005, 22:36

I mean, we've got the Williams Brothers AND Charles Rogers. The key to this is Charles Rogers staying healthy. We need him and his upper body in good condition, as he's only played in 15% of the Lions games these past two years.
TheDooze
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby JohnnyDamon » 31 Jul 2005, 22:38

and don't forget Kevin Jones, who is still pissed that he was passed over in the first round of the draft in 2004.
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby TheDooze » 31 Jul 2005, 22:40

Kevin Jones got drafted in the first round. At #30. Detroit had two first rounders in '04.

And yes, Kevin Jones is the heir to Barry.
TheDooze
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby JohnnyDamon » 31 Jul 2005, 22:42

Damn, for some reason, I thought he was drafted really early in the second round. Either way, I know he went a lot lower than everybody had him going, and he mentioned how pissed he was about it. Kevin Jones impressed the hell out of me when I saw him play last year, and I think he can be a very good running back in the NFL.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby Freddy Fernandez » 31 Jul 2005, 22:43

I'm willing to wager that Jeff Garcia starts more games for the Lions than Joey Harrington.
"What're the best shoe/purse brands for the spring season?" ~jack_daniels
Freddy Fernandez
OG's sponsor

Postby TheDooze » 31 Jul 2005, 22:52

The onyl thing Jeff Garcia will lead the Lions in is "sightings in the Detroit suburb of Ferndale".

Take a guess on what Ferndale is known almost exclusively for.
TheDooze
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby mister bacon » 31 Jul 2005, 22:53

My friends call them the LieDowns.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby JohnnyDamon » 31 Jul 2005, 22:56

TheDooze wrote:The onyl thing Jeff Garcia will lead the Lions in is "sightings in the Detroit suburb of Ferndale".

Take a guess on what Ferndale is known almost exclusively for.

I'm either guessing good looking women or homosexuality. And since I don't know of that many hot chicks in Michigan, I'm leaning toward the latter.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby TheDooze » 31 Jul 2005, 23:18

Ferndale is more flaming than California during a wildfire.
TheDooze
Smartest Guy In The Room

Re: The Detroit Lions Thread

Postby Tecmo Bo » 01 Aug 2005, 10:30

TheDooze wrote:However, Joey Harrington will be the man this year. Why? He passes one basic test I have for QB's: could they be in my posse of friends? An example of this is Pats QB (and U of M alum) Tom Brady. Would he fit? Hell yes. From what we've seen, he works well under pressure, is funny, has a hot girlfriend, and lives in Boston.

Priceless.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby TheDooze » 01 Aug 2005, 11:47

I'm not happy with the Lions having a closed training camp. Part of the early season buzz is going out to Saginaw (where the camp was) to go see the old favorites, free agent signings, and rookies.

Now, they're in the usual practice facility in Allen Park. Place looks like an industrial complex. Not good at all.
TheDooze
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Scoring Machine » 02 Aug 2005, 01:45

Having been to numerous Duck games with Joey Heisman at the helm I will obviously be rooting for him to succeed this year, and I agree there is a very good chance... his TDs, Yards, and QB rating has gone up each year while his INTs have gone down. If that continues he could have a very solid year.
2005 SOTSG Fantasy Baseball Champion
05-06 SOTSG Fantasy Hoops Champion
2006 SOTSG Fantasy Golf Champion

Q. How do they practice safe sex at Oregon State?
A. By placing a warning sign on the animals that kick
Scoring Machine
Etiquette Instructor

Next

Return to NFL