Boxing

Boxing

Postby mandingo » 09 May 2005, 21:20

John McCain is trying to create a federal boxing commission. Not sure if his plan will work, but something needs to be to save boxing.
[Fri 15:59] Rickey Sez: call me "sex bomb", please.
mandingo
Pink Helmet

Postby jack_daniels » 09 May 2005, 21:42

As long as Don King is alive, there will not be a straight and not shady boxing profession. It's in too deep, where boxing is at.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby Parker45 » 09 May 2005, 22:26

As a boxing fan, I am interested in seeing where this ends up. It would be nice to get uniformity across the board and get rid of the 203893 titles out there.

But JD has a point, Don King is a big reason for the demise and the sooner he is gone, the better.

It's been nice to watch The Contender each week for pure boxing, nothing that you feel is set up. You see bits and pieces of the match, and it's actually an enjoyable way to watch the bouts.

I'm all for this.
Parker45
Another dude worth meeting

Postby jack_daniels » 09 May 2005, 22:28

Guys, watch The Ultimate fighter. Like the contender, but it's for the UFC. Just amazing.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby Snake » 09 May 2005, 23:08

Um, that's already been handled in the Contender thread, plus the show is over. Other than that a good idea. I wish John McCain would focus on current events and world affairs and domestic policy once in awhile. It's like he's angling to be declared commissioner of all competition in the United States.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby JohnnyDamon » 09 May 2005, 23:23

Sadly, there are no truly great heavyweights out there, because boxing needs a kick in the ass. Until the heavyweight division comes back strong, boxing will suck. And Don King sucks.
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby Snake » 09 May 2005, 23:27

Blame Muhammed Ali. Every young athlete has grown up with the image of Ali and his Parkinson's in their head, and most guys who are big enough to be heavyweights don't want to end up like that so they go into other sports. The best boxers for the forseeable future will be in the smaller weight classes because those guys are too small to play anything else professionally.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby mister bacon » 10 May 2005, 00:52

Snake wrote:Um, that's already been handled in the Contender thread, plus the show is over. Other than that a good idea. I wish John McCain would focus on current events and world affairs and domestic policy once in awhile. It's like he's angling to be declared commissioner of all competition in the United States.

Well the dubya's wing of the republican party sabotoged his presidential bid.. I think he feels pretty alienated. I don't think the other republicans will let him actually contribute any thought to the party platform.

Anyways.. back to boxing.

I think this needs to happen. Did anyone catch the Corrales fight this weekend?? I heard it was something and I fucking missed it. I am pissed.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

TheWolf wrote: Being a douche is a very expensive hobby.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby jwill » 10 May 2005, 08:38

Has anyone here read the book "Unforgiveable Blackness"? I'm about half way through it right now and it's facinating.

Ken Burns produced a documentary (of the same title) for PBS, along with this book's author, Geoffrey C. Ward.

The book (and documentary) covers Jack Johnson's life/boxing career. I highly recommend it.
jwill
Reverend Lovejoy

Re: ...

Postby JohnnyDamon » 10 May 2005, 12:29

joshuajwill wrote:Has anyone here read the book "Unforgiveable Blackness"? I'm about half way through it right now and it's facinating.

Ken Burns produced a documentary (of the same title) for PBS, along with this book's author, Geoffrey C. Ward.

The book (and documentary) covers Jack Johnson's life/boxing career. I highly recommend it.

I read the book, and it is legitimately the saddest, and best sports story I have ever read.
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby Dunking Donut » 10 May 2005, 12:33

I would be all for cleaning up boxing. I enjoy it but I can't get past a couple of things:

- Legitimacy of the competition
- All the PPV stuff
- Guys that only fight every year or two years

If it can get cleaned up and on TV somewhat regularly (besides HBO) that would be great.
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby jack_daniels » 10 May 2005, 16:20

If you wanna talk boxing books, I would suggest The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay. Set in South Africa from 20 years before Apartheid, to thereafter. Just follows a kid who is intent on being the lightweight champion of the world. Great back drop with the apartheid sub plots.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby Tecmo Bo » 11 May 2005, 08:49

http://www.boston.com/sports/other_spor ... ay_be_dqd/
The Quiet Man may be getting his belt back.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby mister bacon » 11 May 2005, 12:57

Ruiz fucking blows chunks, the worst fighter to watch of all time.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

TheWolf wrote: Being a douche is a very expensive hobby.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Tecmo Bo » 11 May 2005, 13:23

Doesn't matter Jack to me other than having one more title for the Boston Area.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Next

Return to Other Sports